Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Lock Should be Available, but Houses Should Default to Public-Access....

You know what's not so much fun?

Games that have player housing that you can free-form place - such as on top of a hill - but that then default player housing to 'Private'-Mode, so no one else can enter and look around/enjoy the view you've secured!

WHY NOT?!

If the option to make player housing private is available, what's the harm in defaulting player housing to public - so we can all come in an see what's up, unless you have SPECIFICALLY set it to be otherwise?

Never understood why games that go the extra length to have player housing *DEFAULT* it to private; Why not default it to Public, with the option to go Private?

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I'd assume cause people usually forget or even don't know about such options, but then get annoyed when there's some rando running around their house.

But I'd welcome this function as long as I can make my own pretty gates for my freehold. They'll always be closed, but you can marvel at the sheer beauty of my gates :)
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I am assuming you leave your doors unlocked and are ok coming and and finding random strangers just walking around.

As for me,. Get off my lawn!
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Honestly I’m down. If I spend my hard earned currency on nice furniture I want somebody to see it other than me :D
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Honestly, I just want to get ideas for styles, and how spaces can look. Particularly with instanced player apartments when I could easily own the same space. It's valuable for inspiration, as well as "see what you're about to buy".
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @SaltyOnigiri Ask someone on a date! Buy them a nice dinner and a few drinks. Tell them jokes, make them happy. Then ask them to come to your place to see your "nice furniture". Every now and again, someone will say 'Yes!'
  • Options
    But then I have to go on a date with them…… plus I doubt they’ll know I really just mean I want them to see my furniture. Not tryna Roleplay anything wild at my house 😂
  • Options
    D7M6sxd.png
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You can always ask...Permission.
  • Options
    ChimeChime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    So....you'd be okay if I take a look in your inventory and see what you have right? lol
    "Bravery only means something to those who are afraid of death."
  • Options
    mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Superior Claymore Roomba incoming...will there be a magical version of tannerite so I can protect my property from the AoC feds? :D
    tkb56r2rr0sj.jpg
  • Options
    The thread's divided, so it doesn't feel like I'm much in the minority, here.

All I'm saying is that if a game has lock-able player housing, why NOT default it to public, instead of to private? If they care, can't the player just lock it?

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    All I'm saying is that if a game has lock-able player housing, why NOT default it to public, instead of to private? If they care, can't the player just lock it?
    I mean, the literal same could be said the other way around though. Why not just unlock your house immediately if you're fine with randoes perusing it.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    Because we go in assuming that players don't want everyone to be able to mess with their stuff.
    And we will give permissions to the relatively few people who we do want to be able to mess with their stuff.
  • Options
    SongRune wrote: »
    Honestly, I just want to get ideas for styles, and how spaces can look. Particularly with instanced player apartments when I could easily own the same space. It's valuable for inspiration, as well as "see what you're about to buy".

New World instanced Housing system maybe, there was always player willing to show off their house.
  • Options
    IMO just give the player a pop-up to decide whether it should be public on not the first time he enters his home. Why default to anything in the first place if you can just let the player decide with a single click.

Housing has a big part in many games with decent housing systems. Oftentimes even sprawling into distinct communities with housing contests, themes, meeting and viewing groups. I hope to see the same for Ashes, as it wouldn't just attract more players, but also boost the economy.

House Owners should also be able to charge an "entrance fee" of their choosing. Give people with well built houses the opportunity to make some money from it. With players being able to rate the house after visiting it and the ability to search for interesting homes from tags, ratings and recommendations.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Walking around the garden in your in-node housing, or on the freehold plot outside any buildings should be possible for anyone I think.

I don't really care about if the default state of a building is locked or unlocked, but I most certainly want ANYONE in my house be teleported outside if I decide to lock up and they don't have permission.

Specifically for doors, I think they should be cosmetic only, in the sense that I should be able to lock the house and forget to close the door, and still no one should be able to enter.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I dont think i'd enjoy the space reduction of public access when we have player collision. Trolling can be done hard. I'd still set my structures to private.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    I dont think i'd enjoy the space reduction of public access when we have player collision. Trolling can be done hard. I'd still set my structures to private.
    @Neurath
    IMO cities (outside of sieges and monster coin events) and instanced housing shouldn't have collision in the first place. Nothing good will ever come from that. It at best would be an annoyance.
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    Neurath wrote: »
    @Neurath
    IMO cities (outside of sieges and monster coin events) and instanced housing shouldn't have collision in the first place. Nothing good will ever come from that. It at best would be an annoyance.

Have to agree with both of you; I've never understood any advantage to having collision detection in the streets. PvP-flagged players and combat-type of events are fine; Why all the time? Where is the advantage?