Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Perspective is pretty cool, so lets apply it to the projected map size of AoC

DolyemDolyem Member
edited August 2022 in General Discussion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwXV0oLEfCM

So I found this awesome video to give perspective to game maps. And seeing world of warcrafts azeroth including eastern kingdoms, kalimdor, northrend, the broken isles, and pandaria equaling to about 207 square kilometers makes me super excited considering that Verra will be roughly 480 square kilometers plus another 100 for the Underrealm. That means the beginning world of Verra will be roughly 2.3 times the size of Azeroth with its 5 continents(not including the underrealm) and 2.8 times the size with the underealm included. I remember an active azeroth with just kalimdor and eastern kingdoms and loving that, this will be a whole different level.
GJjUGHx.gif

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    That's why I dont care too much about gold buyers.
    The world is vast. And in the occasions where too many players are packed together (node sieges, castle sieges) one cheater doesnt make a difference.
  • Options
    That's why I dont care too much about gold buyers.
    The world is vast. And in the occasions where too many players are packed together (node sieges, castle sieges) one cheater doesnt make a difference.

I can kind of see the reasoning of that, but I still want to have some degree of focus on finding and banning them. Either way though, the scale is going to be awesome for an MMO
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    ye ofc.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    The problem I have with comparisons like this is that it is the technical size of the map, not the feel of the size of the map.

Guild Wars Nightfall is a perfect example of this. According to the video, it is the size of over 1,000 Skyrims.

Umm, no.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    The problem I have with comparisons like this is that it is the technical size of the map, not the feel of the size of the map.

Guild Wars Nightfall is a perfect example of this. According to the video, it is the size of over 1,000 Skyrims.

Umm, no.

well of course, but comparing ashes to world of warcraft is a bit more realistic dont you think? As far as map size perspective
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Dolyem wrote: »

Umm, no.

well of course, but comparing ashes to world of warcraft is a bit more realistic dont you think? As far as map size perspective

Hard to say, Nightfall doesn't feel as big as WoW in terms of land mass, yet is listed as being many times it's size.

The problem with map size is - even if all games could agree on what a square kilometer was in a game - different walking speeds and PC/NPC scale throws that out the window anyway.

For all we know, Verra could be 480sq km, but we are all giants that take 3km wide steps. Or we could all be tiny, taking 5cm steps and thus needing 20,000 steps to travel just 1km.

This is what perspective does.
  • Options
    Is the underground contemplated in this measurement? .
    It would be interesting that the underground (Tulnar environment) also has its own dimension, is vast and adds more size to the world of AoC.
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    I have been reliably told throughout the years that it's not the size, but what you do with it that counts. For me, the "size" of the map is all but irrelevant. To have a living, breathing, dynamic world full of content is what I'm interested in.

• Options
    WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »
    I have been reliably told throughout the years that it's not the size, but what you do with it that counts. For me, the "size" of the map is all but irrelevant. To have a living, breathing, dynamic world full of content is what I'm interested in.

wallace-and-gromit-shoulder-pat.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    edited August 2022
    Dolyem wrote: »

Umm, no.

Hard to say, Nightfall doesn't feel as big as WoW in terms of land mass, yet is listed as being many times it's size.

The problem with map size is - even if all games could agree on what a square kilometer was in a game - different walking speeds and PC/NPC scale throws that out the window anyway.

For all we know, Verra could be 480sq km, but we are all giants that take 3km wide steps. Or we could all be tiny, taking 5cm steps and thus needing 20,000 steps to travel just 1km.

This is what perspective does.

I thought these measurements were determined by time traveled using average running/walking speeds? I know in the lore azeroth is wayyyyy big. The 207 was determined by traveling in a straight line from one end to another and calculating using average walking/running speed irl. But I could be wrong
    GJjUGHx.gif