Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

To Intrepid devs: Some thoughts after playing MHR:SB(things to avoid)

DizzDizz Member
edited August 2022 in General Discussion
Recently I’m playing Monster Hunter: Rise Sunbreak(MHR:SB), and my friends brother and I all found that a lot of things about UI/UX and contents are very bad and I don’t looking forward to see anything like these in Ashes of Creation.

UI/UX:

We all think the UI/UX in MHR:SB is very bad, like “radial menu settings””item loadouts””equipment loadouts””switch skill loadouts” “search/sort in armor and weapon tree” etc, these UI are hard to understand the logic behind the design, which means almost everything relate to making own character build is very bad so the experience during learning own character and skills and build feel all wrong and annoying.

Also when using radial menu in combat it feels laggy because it does, if using radial menu(L+R3 direction) too fast it will move camera first then open radial menu and do nothing, then you have to input direction again to use the function assign on radial menu, and it cause very bad feelings and experiences in combats.

Overall the UI/UX in MHR:SB is way under pass line in my opinion.

Anomaly research quest system in DLC update:

In my opinion, it’s very very bad.

They made new anomaly quest system called anomaly research quest as a advanced version of anomaly quest in order to bring new higher rank materials to players, it’s ok, but they messed up at the quest system, if anyone play MHR:SB and clear all EX1~4 anomaly quests and you want to play with your friends and get same progressing with them you maybe will know what I saying.

If you clear all EX1~4 anomaly quests before update the anomaly level will start at 31 and give you all EX1~4 anomaly research quests and they give each rank a start level, EX1 start at 1 EX2 start at 11 EX3 start at 21 EX4 start at 31, you can get more random condition quests that may give you more rewards when complete any quest base on what quest you did and your performance in the quest and your anomaly research level, the anomaly research lab will give research requests randomly base on your anomaly research level, if you complete the research request it will give additional research point boost to help you level up, everything seems fine, but start at anomaly research level 31 system will give a random research requests from EX1~4 anomaly research quests for few quest time so the thing they messed up is that anomaly research lab will give me research request base on my level and my level is 31 so system give me a EX1 monster which the quest level start from lv1 but anomaly research lab ask me to do a EX1 lv31 anomaly research quest and the request is personal which means my friends and I won’t always have same request target monster at the most of time and no matter which way we choose we can’t keep same leveling pace, if we choose to ignore it will be boring and painful because those quests we already done so many times, so the most not boring way is we play separately and use the "respond to join request” to join other player’s quest which
is for our own research request target and get boost from research lab all the way up to anomaly research level 81 to unlock EX5 anomaly quests in order to play with my friends again, and we found this system is stupid as F, I’m not native English speaker I can’t find the right words to describe, how can a game so emphasize hunting together at the same time the developers design a system that basically separate players were friends and force them play with other strangers, and I believe that no matter what research level you start with the system can and will give research requests that not fit your progression and you will not able to keep up the system because the number of monster is too much so you will feel irritated at some point and think this is stupid.

I like MHR:SB, but too many little things and shouldn't do wrong but went wrong make this game not so good.

Last as I said I’m not a native English speaker so I tried my best to explain, I hope you can understand me, and to Intrepid dev team please don’t do things like this to your game.
A casual follower from TW.

↓Good youtube channel to learn things about creating games.↓
Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv1DvRY5PyHHt3KN9ghunuw

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Tldr an example to avoid.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Didn't Rise come out for switch first? So it's a "shitty port" issue rather than a "default design" one. And the new system (from what I've skimmed here) seems like an expansion issue rather than an inherent one.

It's good to have examples of what not to do, but these particular issues seem to not stem from the game's initial design (correct me if I'm wrong).
  • Options
    DizzDizz Member
    NiKr wrote: »
    Didn't Rise come out for switch first? So it's a "shitty port" issue rather than a "default design" one. And the new system (from what I've skimmed here) seems like an expansion issue rather than an inherent one.

It's good to have examples of what not to do, but these particular issues seem to not stem from the game's initial design (correct me if I'm wrong).

I play on NS, basically the UI/UX is a bad default design to me and they rarely change their design like the UI/UX is pretty much the same as MHW:I so I thinks it's not a "shitty port" issue, and the quest system come with DLC update should able to be fixed by another update but it's shouldn't happen at beginning to me.

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Shitty port because the UI was designed for Switch and then ported to PC.
    A lot of those UI design choices probably would not have been made if it was designed as a PC game first.

But…sure…
    Don’t use MH as inspiration for Ashes UI design.
    We agree!!
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    Shitty port because the UI was designed for Switch and then ported to PC.
    A lot of those UI design choices probably would not have been made if it was designed as a PC game first.

But…sure…
    Don’t use MH as inspiration for Ashes UI design.
    We agree!!

I don't, cause this post isn't even about UI really.

The initial complaints about it are somewhat valid, but with a controller, which is 'the way the game is meant to be played', you have a limit to how many ways you can let people use an item or menu navigation.

It's IRRELEVANT to Ashes, at best, and I'm not even actually defending it.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Haha. I think you said what I said with different words.
  • Options
    DizzDizz Member
    I don’t think controller is a limitation to how games meant to be played or how many ways to operate user interface, like there are people more used to play action games with mouse and keyboard or people play shooting games with controller, there are some MMO use mouse and keyboard to play but the game developers just redraw the old UI frame with out really rethink the UI layout in modern way so the UI still look outdated and limited but still call it a renew or redesign or some mmo can play cross platform but all platform use same mobile game like UI design without any optimization for each platform users so it still limited, to me saying that A will have limitation because of B became more like a lazy excuse of course in today, and I just a gamer who want a good game as it can, and because until now I not seeing any new UI art or layout or how the UI works and everything about UI I can find on wiki or past videos I just don’t like its layout it not good it’s just like old school mmo and doesn’t fit in today in my opinion for example if you use a bigger monitor the UI will hard to recognize the detail but the art side is good so overall I just want give something bad that I recently encounter to dev team and hope they will see it and avoid and I don’t want to discuss anything too detail and too specific so I only say things to an enough degree.