Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will AoC support roleplaying?

I love what the developers have shown so far with Ashes of Creation, however I don't recall Steve or any other person mentioning what they think about roleplaying. A lot of people take joy in immersing themselves in the world of video games like World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy XIV.

There should be features that help make things more RP-friendly for players. Being able to play on an RP server would be a huge plus, for example. Being able to go to a popular node's tavern and find it filled with other adventurer's would be incredible. What do you all think? Would you like to see this? Do you hate roleplayers? Do you roleplay yourself?

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No.

There will be the standard tools, but I assume when you say 'support' you mean 'do something extra'.

It's a little confusing in the 'Tavern' thing because there will be taverns, but based on what you seem to be asking, there is no plan atm for special attention to RP beyond what most games do (and the core design of the game itself leading to it).
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    There should be features that help make things more RP-friendly for players. Being able to play on an RP server would be a huge plus, for example. Being able to go to a popular node's tavern and find it filled with other adventurer's would be incredible. What do you all think? Would you like to see this? Do you hate roleplayers? Do you roleplay yourself?

There will be no role-playing servers, just as they will have no servers with PvP disabled. All servers will be the same.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Servers#Server_types

The taverns will hopefully foster role-playing.

I spent years playing text-based online games where the gameplay was almost entirely role-playing. Essentially, they created a world you can live in, objects to interact with (food, clothes, other props), characters you can create, but then the game itself involved joining societies, getting into intrigue, forming relationships, and so on. Practically no real combat (except a very limited dueling mechanic) and there were no real "stats" or anything. So you can say I have a very strong background in online role-playing.

I usually don't go to an MMORPG to do that. To me that's like going to a baseball game so you can play chess in the bleachers. But I don't mind when other people do, as long as they're not being obnoxious about it.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This guy is not my master.
  • Options
    This guy is not my master.

:D I was about to ping you, @PenguinPaladin lol!

• Options
    Already a bunch of RolePlay guilds popping up, be sure to join one!
  • Options
    To me, AOC looks like a very fertie ground for roleplaying.

• Options
    Join a roleplay server (ones players decide are rp servers)
    Join a rp guild
    Create your own experience as rp is.
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Join a roleplay server (ones players decide are rp servers)
    That's a good point. There will be no official RP servers, where (for example) GMs enforce rules about role-playing, or they restrict character names more to protect immersion, and so on. But if players want to designate a server to gather on for role-playing, you can effectively have this sort of thing.

You can also pick a node in the game and decide to all congregate there.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ashes supports roleplaying...
    "...in Taverns".
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As i said on another old topic (maybe RP forum ? )
    a real MMORPG is a mmorpg where every serveur are already Roleplay.

Roleplay is incarnate the character, and making him lives a life... no more no less, so any character you see, any PvP in openworld you do is part of a roleplay...

Community will for sure, define some servers to gather, but i even trust in servers that will not get this choice to find some roleplayers...
  • Options
    Aerlana wrote: »
    Roleplay is incarnate the character, and making him lives a life... no more no less, so any character you see, any PvP in openworld you do is part of a roleplay...

Yes, this is typically how I roleplay in an MMORPG. Through the actions my character takes and the choices I make. Not in improvisational acting in collaboration with other players. Though as I said, I have done that kind of role-playing in other kinds of online games.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    ChimeChime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't think roleplayers will have any problems finding what they want, even with there not being designated RP servers. They always find a way, the community will hub together and pick a server they want. Taverns and events will happen and they will defend their nodes just as harshly because they won't want it destroyed.

There is a Ashes RP Discord Server as well.
    "Bravery only means something to those who are afraid of death."
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Here is the deal...

Rping will support ashes of creation.

Ashes of creation will not support Rping.

Thats the long and short of it. The games not being designed around you, there will not be RP servers being regulated by in game rules. But you are more than welcome to RP in ashes. And they are even making some RP friendly functions like emotes and such.
  • Options
    Here is the deal...

Rping will support ashes of creation.

Ashes of creation will not support Rping.

Thats the long and short of it. The games not being designed around you, there will not be RP servers being regulated by in game rules. But you are more than welcome to RP in ashes. And they are even making some RP friendly functions like emotes and such.

Be nice to your master...
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I don't know how a question about RP support in Ashes became focused round RP servers, but...

https://youtu.be/RS3e0vuj5lA?t=3318
    mark 55:18
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    I don't know how a question about RP support in Ashes became focused round RP servers, but...

Because it was asked in the OP and I gave the factual answer and cite in my first reply already.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    LMAO
    Focused. Focused.
    I didn't say, "I don't know why anyone talked about RP servers."
    The OP asks a bunch of stuff about support for RP in Ashes. RP server was just one among the bunch of stuff.
    You are not the only person who has commented.

I didn't single you out.
    *chuckle*
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited August 2022
    LMAO
    Focused. Focused.
    I didn't say, "I don't know why anyone talked about RP servers."
    The OP asks a bunch of stuff about support for RP in Ashes. RP server was just one among the bunch of stuff.
    You are not the only person who has commented.

I didn't single you out.
    *chuckle*

So you're saying your question and point were even more broadly dumb?
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    LMAO
    I'm saying you're dumb.
  • Options
    I know you are all having fun and all but this is the forums not game chat, save the pvp for in game.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    LMAO
    I'm saying you're dumb.

says one of the dumbest person in the forum :D """LMAO"""
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Liniker wrote: »
    LMAO
    I'm saying you're dumb.

One of?
  • Options
    From the mouth of Mr. Pot.

• Options
    From the mouth of Mr. Pot.

Well... you are black.

All joking aside, I still don't get what your point was. It was a natural evolution on the topic, so I don't get how your question was pertinent or was reflective of genuine surprise.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    I think an important thing to keep in mind with the way that Ashes is structured is that it's actually better suited to supporting RP at a base level than the vast majority of MMOs are. This includes such things as
    1. Travel time
    2. Citizenship
    3. Allegiances that aren't just a check box
    4. Person-to-person conflicts over resources
    5. Personal homes and titles in the world

And these are all things that players in other games just have to pretend they have because they're completely unavailable as game mechanics. The barrier between "Standard player" and "Roleplayer" is set up to be much thinner in this game than in most, even if the game doesn't specifically focus on roleplaying features.
  • Options
    Asgerr wrote: »
    All joking aside, I still don't get what your point was. It was a natural evolution on the topic, so I don't get how your question was pertinent or was reflective of genuine surprise.
    The point was to share the vid that has a bit more info on Steven’s view of RP and his plans to support RP in the game.

And I added the observation that responses seem to be more focused on the lack of RP servers than answering what features, if any, Ashes might have to support RP.

I have no clue why that caused Atama to become defensive.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    I have no clue why that caused Atama to become defensive.
    That one is a mystery.

Hhak63P.png