Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I would love the ability to gift Alpha 2 access to friends/guild members

2»

Comments

• Options
    Biggest problem with this is most people(we saw this in alpha-1) have no clue what a true alpha is. They go in thinking they are going to play a game. Then they get in and realize it is far from a completed game get snippy with posts and youtube videos strictly because they had no idea what to expect and start trying to compare it to a 20 year old game.

The term "alpha" is a tricky one, and it typically has 2 meanings in gaming. The development meaning for alpha is a point in the process where we are ready to test the fundamental systems in their core form, without polish and without much of the content. Then, there is the external or "marketing" term for alpha. This is typically applied to Eastern-ported MMORPGs, when in fact that is a completed game being localized for a region, and not really indicative of a true development alpha. As you may know by now, game development has many stages - from the initial tech demos to the pre-production and pre-alpha states, then on to the alphas and betas and eventually launch.[9] – Steven Sharif

I want to make emphatically clear, our alphas and betas are true development alphas and betas, and some have said I am crazy to allow these phases to be seen without an NDA…maybe I am crazy? lol… But I am trusting the community of gamers out there to get a glimpse into the process, and understand the long road ahead for what will eventually be worth the wait. Given time and talent, amazing things can happen, so make sure you help us in communicating that we are in open development which means people get to see the bare bones before the meat. And look, I know people see our 4K footage and say, "This looks better than most released games!", but trust me when I say, you ain't seen nothin’ yet.[9] – Steven Sharif

• Options
    I am excited for Alpha 2. I was one of the original Mara's testers for The Elder Scrolls Online and I remember running around and there were just boxes where terrain was missing and half of the quests didn't work and the other half would bug out but it was so much fun getting to explore this strange new world. I don't get why people complain during Alpha or even Beta tests. Count yourself lucky that you get to be a part of it.
  • Options
    Nodoff wrote: »
    Nodoff wrote: »
    Warth wrote: »
    They want to high barrier of entry for Alpha Testing as it produces testers that are usually more invested in the success of the game. That's why packs exist.

I don't see that changing either, as there really isn't any tangible advantage for them. Sorry my friend.

That is a very bold assumption. It's far more likely that they want to make money...

How would who purchased the pack effect the amount of money they make? If anything a single individual purchasing and gifting packs could potentially be more money in their pocket since you cant use your own refurral code i dont think...

Yes, that's my point. Warth was insinuating that the price of access is high to supposedly get "better testers", which sounds like marketing nonsense. I was stating that the price is high because they are a business, and want to make money. In which case, it would be to their benefit to allow myself and others to buy and gift testing access to our friends and guildmembers.

Also, in order to paypal someone, you need to be comfortable allowing them to know your email address and full name. I'm not comfortable with sharing that information with almost anyone I game with, even though I very much appreciate my guildies.

But it DOES have to do with Testers. It's the exact reason I didn't get the 500 Package, only the 350 Package.

Very specific times for play testing. And when you're there, they want you to actually Play Test. Like, specific things. "Hey guys, need you here to try this thing" kind of stuff. I'm sure you had some time to tinker on your own, but there were a lot of concepts not even in place, very limited stuff to do... so, you know, they could focus on testing those first systems in.

Well, I'm the kind of guy, when I log in... I want to do what I want to do. So I'm not good for that kind of group. Because maybe today I want to dabble with mining, but they're trying to work on some information for the Combat System in a very specific PvE situation. I'm SUPPOSED to be here to Play Test, so if I go and do my mining then I'm not really providing value and being helpful.

So I figured I'd join when the Play Testing was less rigorous. When there is less expected from the 'Testers'.

Now, Ashes has a lot of eyes on it. We understand today that a game comes out and says "Early Access" and the first Negative Reviews are about how the games not complete. People don't understand "Early Access". Same applies here. You just let EVERYONE come in to Play Test, it's a variety of problems.

You don't get focused testing. You get all these people talking crap about this jank game... because they ignored the part about Pre-Alpha Play Testing, so now you get this negativity surrounding the game. This spills over into your forums, and now it pops up into your Monthly Showcase as Chat is now dominated by all this negative talk, instead of focusing on the amazing improvements and where we are on the time scale for Launch.

The game is fully funded. They don't need money, and they have plenty of runway. They aren't desperate here.

The only way I'd have paid 500 (and then I wouldn't have tested), is if it came with a Lifetime Subscription. Because I know I'm not who they need Play Testing that early on, when there isn't much game to be explored (because they are making sure mechanics work, so we CAN play the game).
  • Options
    hey guys!
    Nodoff, i got ur point! im in the same situation (or nearly) and cant understand all this "off-topic-comments".

for those with the negative arguments:
    i want to buy a pre-order-package + alpha acces for my little brother as a birthday gift. he is a programmer, so i think the "if he cant buy it himself, he is a bad tester" thing isnt working here ;)
    and i dont want to send him the money, because it destroys the gifting message. as you can imagine: you get 0,50$ from a friend as a gift, or you get a cup of coffee is a whole different story.

so maybe just let nodoff (and me) know, if there is a way to gift pre-acces to friends and stop arguing against it ;)
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Vykas wrote: »
    hey guys!

so maybe just let nodoff (and me) know, if there is a way to gift pre-acces to friends and stop arguing against it ;)

There isn't a way. It has been ruled out repeatedly and the only way of going around their TOS can get you to where you lose both accounts if they bothered to care.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    BaltanBaltan Member
    edited August 2022
    hey guys!
    Nodoff, i got ur point! im in the same situation (or nearly) and cant understand all this "off-topic-comments".

for those with the negative arguments:
    i want to buy a pre-order-package + alpha acces for my little brother as a birthday gift. he is a programmer, so i think the "if he cant buy it himself, he is a bad tester" thing isnt working here ;)
    and i dont want to send him the money, because it destroys the gifting message. as you can imagine: you get 0,50$ from a friend as a gift, or you get a cup of coffee is a whole different story.

I don't think sending him money saying "hey this is for alpha 2, I just can't gift it directly" ruins a gift, it's no different than giving somebody money for Starbucks because you didn't get a chance to stop in. It's still a gift and still something he would appreciate I'm sure, I doubt intrepid will change their minds and if you really want your brother to have that then that's up to you to decide which is worse, se ding money instead of a gift, or no gift at all🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah. Just buy the package for your mate. I used to do it all the time for my mate but then we got copped when the old game masters wouldn't let my mate retrieve the accounts because they were all under my name. In this instance you're protected from that eventuality because the mate would have to make the purchases which you would directly fund.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NodoffNodoff Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    hey guys!

There isn't a way. It has been ruled out repeatedly and the only way of going around their TOS can get you to where you lose both accounts if they bothered to care.

Gifting items has been ruled out, but they can still allow the purchasing and gifting of Alpha Access specifically, if they want to. I already know it's possible, because I've been allowed to do it through support, in the past, with A2 access I was gifted for being the highest charity donator. I would like to see an option in the shop, to streamline the action.
    11wn1c3qmy20.gif