Monopoly on Territory Control

Toadette1337Toadette1337 Member
edited August 2022 in General Discussion
Hello,

The reason I am writing this thread is to inquire about a feature in the game, the node system and the mayoral/city building features.

In New World, we played on a relatively low populated server on launch, we were tasked with choosing one of three factions (yellow/green/purple). Once we hit max level, it turned out that the strongest two clans were both on the yellow faction, they dominated the entire map (territories), hiked up all the taxes to max, and basically killed the server by forcing everyone to look elsewhere for a more balanced experience. There was a restriction that forced clans to stay on one territory, so they created alt clans to bypass this restriction.

My questions are as follows:

1. Will a clan be able to control more than one city?
2. If not, what is the system in place to prevent clans from creating sub/alt clans with other mayors so that they may bypass the in-game restriction? (basically having the multiple territories under one clan through alt clans)
3. If yes, is there an intention to avoid monopoly control by the strongest clan(s) over the world's territories/cities?

I believe that this would be a very important factor as the above scenario is what made me and a significant number of players on my server eventually quit playing New World, or lead to players transferring out of the server (basically the two dominant yellow faction clans killed the entire server).

Thanks.

Comments

• HathamHatham Member
    edited August 2022
    You can only be a mayor in 1 node and they have to 'get' (mostly all player driven) elected in the first place so its not gonna be possible for the same person but it could from the same guild.

Mayors cant get the wealth of the town like new world.
    They can set the taxes and get buildings setup for being built

There no benefit to hold any node as a mayor since only the population benefits not the mayor(gets access to royal stable but thats not that big a deal).

- Players can only have 1 house in there Account so - there is a serious incentive to defend that node with it on.
    - If anything guilds will hunker down on nodes because of how locked in the housing is.
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Also, guilds do not 'control' nodes. Anyone can choose to claim citizenship in a node. Nodes, depending on size, may have up to three patron guilds, but that does not mean the guild controls the node.
  • tautau wrote: »
    Also, guilds do not 'control' nodes. Anyone can choose to claim citizenship in a node. Nodes, depending on size, may have up to three patron guilds, but that does not mean the guild controls the node.

Ye i feel more that a form of collective control will occur between the patron guilds, the crafters and mayor in terms of what happens in a node.

- citizenship has a soft cap
  • Interesting, thank you guys for clarifying.

In WoW you can actually create a community (basically a list of players in your social tab), this is separate from guilds/clans. Would Ashes of Creation introduce something of that nature so people in a given city can band together as a community? (even when from different clans)
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Interesting, thank you guys for clarifying.

In WoW you can actually create a community (basically a list of players in your social tab), this is separate from guilds/clans. Would Ashes of Creation introduce something of that nature so people in a given city can band together as a community? (even when from different clans)

There is a node citizen chat
  • My questions are as follows:

1. Will a clan be able to control more than one city?
    2. If not, what is the system in place to prevent clans from creating sub/alt clans with other mayors so that they may bypass the in-game restriction? (basically having the multiple territories under one clan through alt clans)
    3. If yes, is there an intention to avoid monopoly control by the strongest clan(s) over the world's territories/cities?

Guilds do not control any nodes. They put up the mayor, which does not equal control over the Node.
    They cannot:
    • extract node tax funds for their own benefit
    • banish people from being citizens of this node
    • decide who might move to their not

They do however decide, in which direction the Node develops in terms of buildings constructed, wars waged and alliances forged. Everything they do decide though, is to the benefit or harm of all its citizen.

A guild can, if they wish and managed to do so theoretically put up the Major in every single developed node on the server.

So to answer your question:
    1. They dont control citys, they merely govern it.
    2. None, as they could do it being solely in the main guild.
    3. There doesnt need to be any measures.
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    Guilds are more likely to control Castles. 20% of the nodes will be under each castle. 5 castles in total. I believe the guilds can take funds from the local nodes for guild purposes inside the castles.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Neurath wrote: »
    Guilds are more likely to control Castles. 20% of the nodes will be under each castle. 5 castles in total. I believe the guilds can take funds from the local nodes for guild purposes inside the castles.

They cant take money from the Nodes, they tax part of the income the same way nodes do.
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah, i was rather lazy in my phrases. Amounts to the same thing though. Between node sieges and castle sieges I'm more inclined to go for the castle sieges. I will of course defend my node if required.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • GandalfthegrapeGandalfthegrape Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hatham wrote: »
    You can only be a mayor in 1 node and they have to 'get' (mostly all player driven) elected in the first place so its not gonna be possible for the same person but it could from the same guild.

Mayors cant get the wealth of the town like new world.
    They can set the taxes and get buildings setup for being built

There no benefit to hold any node as a mayor since only the population benefits not the mayor(gets access to royal stable but thats not that big a deal).

- Players can only have 1 house in there Account so - there is a serious incentive to defend that node with it on.
    - If anything guilds will hunker down on nodes because of how locked in the housing is.

Easy solution, puppet governments just like new world. Ya the population benefits, so you can extract more even more money through your monopoly.
  • GandalfthegrapeGandalfthegrape Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Each node needs a different kind of random trigger or set trigger for a civil war function, science has a snap election, the combat one, everyone just becomes targetable with 1 life for an hour or something, and the oligarchy one you pay like half of the last purchase amount for mayor and npcs go and kill and steal money from the mayor or something. it would be a cool function that would naturally allow the power dynamics and landscapes to change. Would be cool if these can be both player triggered to stage a coup and targeted against players who have been in power for too long or too many people dislike them. Classical Athens had an antivote system where if enough people voted for you you got banned from politics for like 10 years. Would be cool for the science node.