Question and discussion about Races

So in most MMORPG's there is 1-2 races that pretty much dominant top pick. In World of Warcraft you have Blood elves and humans (or void elves now, haven't looked in awhile). Within FF14 you have Miqo'te (cat people / anime cat girls) and in this game there will be no exception, there will be a top picked race. I'm betting either Human or Elf as that seems to be the leading race in almost every fantasy MMORPG. However The design of races in this game is amazing and the devs have out done themselves. I'm particularly hyped on the shadow voodoo looking orcs (purple orcs) but i've always loved green orcs too. So more than likely I will pick an (green) orc rogue / hunter with the purple orc being some magic combo.

My question is three-fold: Who do you think will dominate the race picks, do you think it would be good if the 5 big cities are all the same race in terms of building design throughout the majority of the servers and is this something that needs to be fixed or ignored? Also a two more surprise questions: What race are you picking and does each subrace get its own unique building designs or is it just the race as a whole?

Comments

• Kaelar

Wouldn't be a problem. No fix needed.

Dunir.

Each race is separate, so each one will have its own designs.
  • Tulnar

Can be ignored

Unsure, depends on racial augments

Building designs are unique. On the wiki you can see examples for each race.
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited August 2022
    I think from former polls around here and reddit, the top three races will likely be:
    - Humans
    - Empyrean elves
    - Ren'Kai orcs

Although with the new reveal of the Tulnar, those seem like they'll be popular, if only for the customization options. The rest all had very similar percentages, so it'll be fairly divided.

I don't think it would be either good or bad. However there is definitely a narrative that can play itself around the server. A sort of server specific lore where one race is the dominant race and has formed a bit of an empire. This can be cool for social RP, where other races choose to band together to have a change in the architectural influence.

Ultimately it's down to player agency. If people like elves and choose to play elves, why should Intrepid opt to forcibly balance it to negate their impact, or promote other races, to prevent a more homogenous look in the world?

Yes, the style of architecture and culture influence of every sub-race is going to be vastly different.
    - Dunir dwarves are viking/LOTR inspired. Nikua Dwarves are basically fantasy Polynesians.
    - Kaelar humans are sort of European inspired. The Vaelune are middle eastern.
    - Empyrean elves are ancient Romans of sorts. Py'Rai elves are more nature symbiotic.
    - Ren'Kai orcs seem to draw from far east asian sources. Vek orcs, appear to be more Mesoamerican.
    - Tulnar will all have the same, despite the various racial/species mixes available to them.

Personally I'm leaning Empyrean or Human Fighter for my main, and probably a Vek Mage or Rogue and a Dunir Cleric as alts. Oh and a Tulnar to see what I can make with it.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Asgerr wrote: »
    I think from former polls around here and reddit, the top three races will likely be:
    - Humans
    - Empyrean elves
    - Ren'Kai orcs

Although with the new reveal of the Tulnar, those seem like they'll be popular, if only for the customization options. The rest all had very similar percentages, so it'll be fairly divided.

I don't think it would be either good or bad. However there is definitely a narrative that can play itself around the server. A sort of server specific lore where one race is the dominant race and has formed a bit of an empire. This can be cool for social RP, where other races choose to band together to have a change in the architectural influence.

Ultimately it's down to player agency. If people like elves and choose to play elves, why should Intrepid opt to forcibly balance it to negate their impact, or promote other races, to prevent a more homogenous look in the world.

Yes, the style of architecture and culture influence of every sub-race is going to be vastly different.
    - Dunir dwarves are viking/LOTR inspired. Nikua Dwarves are basically fantasy Polynesians.
    - Empyrean elves are ancient Romans of sorts. Py'Rai elves are more nature symbiotic.
    - Ren'Kai orcs seem to draw from far east asian sources. Vek orcs, appear to be more Mesoamerican.
    - Tulnar will all have the same, despite the various racial/species mixes available to them.

Personally I'm leaning Empyrean or Human Fighter for my main, and probably a Vek Mage or Rogue and a Dunir Cleric as alts. Oh and a Tulnar to see what I can make with it.
    Ah good to know that subraces are different. And you have a very good point I did not consider, if everyone wants to be that one race why should the devs force diversity or change. Kinda of bland but I want to be an orc who's out in the desert or something but if the green orcs are more eastern inspired than that might conflict. Very excited to see how it turns out.

• BaltanBaltan Member
    edited August 2022
    I'm playing Dunir either a minstrel or guardian, maybe a spellshield, dwarves look awesome in this game, as for top races probably kaelar (humans) and empyrean (high elves) it seems to always go that way in MMOs
    I think vek will also be popular and a close 3rd.

And no I don't think it would be good if most servers had the same cities at the same nodes I think that would kinda ruin it a bit actually. The whole point is each server is its own unique world with its own flavor. The bones are the same but everything else is different depending on player choices
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited August 2022
    Zlade wrote: »
    Asgerr wrote: »
    - Humans
    - Empyrean elves
    - Ren'Kai orcs

Ultimately it's down to player agency. If people like elves and choose to play elves, why should Intrepid opt to forcibly balance it to negate their impact, or promote other races, to prevent a more homogenous look in the world.

Ah good to know that subraces are different. And you have a very good point I did not consider, if everyone wants to be that one race why should the devs force diversity or change. Kinda of bland but I want to be an orc who's out in the desert or something but if the green orcs are more eastern inspired than that might conflict. Very excited to see how it turns out.

You can honestly play in every biome you want. Don't let your choice of race alter your choice of area. The Ren'Kai also get the option of having darker skin tones, as well as red skin color, and different degree of tan. They also seem to perhaps have a draconic lineage.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • VoxtriumVoxtrium Member
    edited August 2022
    Empyrean will dominate however the races look great, better than average for sure and I already know of guilds with single race requirements for every single race so far except Tulnar, so I'm not super worried about the cultural influence always being the dominated race.
    Players will do what they want, with this games goals in mind Intrepid should make no effort to change balancing of cultures. As someone said above fun RP can come of these things and in this case it could be fun RP that is done with non traditional RP players, IE Empyreans have the cultural influence of 3 of 5 cities and so players band together to create conflict against the Empyreans. I witnessed this on a different game, where the server had been dominated for a long time by a single alliance that was a single race, so literally the entire server made pacts and some of the most difficult fighting broke out for literal months, it was epic and frought with BM / just plain fun.
  • Asgerr wrote: »
    Zlade wrote: »
    Asgerr wrote: »
    - Humans
    - Empyrean elves
    - Ren'Kai orcs

You can honestly play in every biome you want. Don't let your choice of race alter your choice of area. The Ren'Kai also get the option of having darker skin tones, as well as red skin color, and different degree of tan. They also seem to perhaps have a draconic lineage.
    Red skin orc? Draconic Lineage? *Fel orc theme intensifies* man i'm getting hyped some more and knowing the game will still take quite some time to come out. I donated $100 for the first kickstarter, basically had almost no money at all at the time unlike today and really focused on getting the tier 3 customization bundle or something for character creation. I wasn't gonna be left out on some cool customization on my characters.
  • @Zlade If you want all the info we currently have on every race, check out the following link:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Races
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • We know so little about what augments are available, including racial augments. I think what they are will be a factor in which to choose as all the races look really good at the moment.
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • Racial augments are a thing and could be a factor in the most popular race.
    I hope to see some diversity with city architecture but I expect Kaelar, Empyrean and Tulnar will be dominant. I don't imagine we will ever see a Niküa metropolis unless a big streamer does it for the memes.

Personally I'll be going with a Vek Cleric with Py'Rai and/or Ren'Kai for my alts.
  • Yeah - It would be a shame not seeing huge Vek / Nikua cities and ships.

I'm still going to main a Nikua but whether I'll find a Nikua dominated empire is unlikely. However theres always niche groups/guilds popping up.

I saw a wood elf guild the other day and a dwarf only one.
  • Humans will probably be the most popular, followed up by the more traditional fantasy races like dwarves and elves.

Personally I'd go with Dunir, but that might just be because I've been playing so much Deep Rock lately.
  • HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The dominant race will be the demons.

They follow the way of the chancla. >:)

https://youtu.be/tjqsDmTJ5SE
    The world is beautiful whenever you're here. And all the emptiness inside disappears.
    xrds4ytk7z7j.gif
  • Natasha wrote: »
    The dominant race will be the demons.

They follow the way of the chancla. >:)

https://youtu.be/tjqsDmTJ5SE

Gotta love mouse. But by that logic, Monke (Connor) would also be top of the charts. Humans and Simian Tulnars confirmed winners.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Depends on the server.