Suggestion: Drunk chat, and mouth movement for Voice Chat

let me start by explaining the mouth movement.
walk into some place where one can voice chat. and as I talk in Voice chat, i think it would be cool, if my character's mouth moved too, to kind of make it more realistic as though my character was the one talking (from other player's perspective)...
now for the other half.... Drunk chat...
i was thinking it might be funny if we talk into a tavern and drink ale or something to get drunk, and then when we type in chat it gets garbled up, to either be un-readable or doesn't make sense

an example being you type: "where can i find the blacksmith?" and you get: "where @#$ find smithy" or "find blacksmith can i where?"

Comments

• AsraielAsraiel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    well theoreticly not bad idea however its a mmo-rpg and most players will use 3rd person view so seeing the back of your head will cover your mouth. and movement according to your speach would be to much unnessesary trafic and processing for the game.

however i could see it implemented somehow into conversations with npc's where the answerselection is given, so to apply a mouthmovement or even facemovement accordingly.
  • MaiWaifuMaiWaifu Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Asraiel wrote: »
    well theoreticly not bad idea however its a mmo-rpg and most players will use 3rd person view so seeing the back of your head will cover your mouth

I think he means so that other players see his mouth moving; not just him wanting to see himself.

I do think as cool as this might be, it might end up being quite a lot of work and still looking kinda janky especially if it's during combat or other animation movements which probably won't mix very well.

I imagine it either looking too stiff or too head bobbing-like that it probably won't look right either way.
  • HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I agree with @MaiWaifu on this, I feel like it will end up looking like a horribly dubbed movie and the animations too stiff when people put inflection or emphasis on words.

I also think it's unnecessary for the game and adds little value for the immersion return.

I'd rather they focused on more emotes and the tavern games for RP purposes to be honest.
    The world is beautiful whenever you're here. And all the emptiness inside disappears.
    xrds4ytk7z7j.gif
  • MaiWaifu wrote: »
    I think he means so that other players see his mouth moving; not just him wanting to see himself.
    Yes, that was what i was thinking the Tavern, Market place or private instances for RPing.
    MaiWaifu wrote: »
    I do think as cool as this might be, it might end up being quite a lot of work and still looking kinda janky especially if it's during combat or other animation movements which probably won't mix very well.

I imagine it either looking too stiff or too head bobbing-like that it probably won't look right either way.

hummm... you have a point... i was more or less thinking outside of combat... but you are completely right, it wouldn't look too good in combat.
    Natasha wrote: »
    I agree with @MaiWaifu on this, I feel like it will end up looking like a horribly dubbed movie and the animations too stiff when people put inflection or emphasis on words.
    :/ you think it would be that bad? you might be right, with the little time they have to flush it out, it wouldn't look good.
    I also think it's unnecessary for the game and adds little value for the immersion return.

I'd rather they focused on more emotes and the tavern games for RP purposes to be honest.

Okay, so no mouth movement... what are your thoughts on the drunk text chat?
  • it
    Romza2 wrote: »
    Yes, that was what i was thinking the Tavern, Market place or private instances for RPing.

hummm... you have a point... i was more or less thinking outside of combat... but you are completely right, it wouldn't look too good in combat.
    :/ you think it would be that bad? you might be right, with the little time they have to flush it out, it wouldn't look good.

I don't see a reason for it at all.
    If someone wants to write in a drunken manner for RP readons, then he can do so, at any time, through the use of his keyboard.

This enables nothing, its just a gimmick that a fraction of the playerbase might enjoy occasionally.

It doesn't add enough to waste the precious time of developers
  • HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    Romza2 wrote: »

Garbled drunk text chat I'm all for (which was why i didnt go into it). it wouldn't be hard to make an algorithm that just changes adjectives around if it detects drunk debuff.

Seeing a drunk dwarf yelling "ME BEER NEED COMPANIONS!" would be hilarious.

bonus points if drunken state puts a debuff placing people in a low function motor skill state.
    The world is beautiful whenever you're here. And all the emptiness inside disappears.
    xrds4ytk7z7j.gif
  • MaiWaifuMaiWaifu Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Ah sorry!

Yeah, I'm all for drunken text in taverns and other social settings. I think it should only happen automatically in social locations though or be a toggle setting for RP.

Wouldn't want to rush a few beers down before a raid and try type serious messages only to have 1/3 get filtered out into drunken text :smile: