Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Wouldn't prosthetic limbs be a good feature for the character customization? just an idea

AmmodAmmod Member
edited August 2022 in General Discussion
I remember when 343 added this feature to Halo Infinite and so many people, from veterans to people born without limbs, were actually very happy.

Also, a cool way to add this is if each race had a different style of prosthetic limbs.

Take the elf race for example, the Empyreans could have vines and flowers as the base for their prosthetics. While the Pyrai could have tree bark growing out of their arms as a prosthetic.

the humans could have metal arms

the dwarves could have rock and wooden arms with runes on them

etc.

Comments

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I gotta hand it to you, it is a good idea.

But don't have them free, make the player foot the bill.
  • Options
    MIBMIB Member
    I like this idea as long as the limb fits in well with the theme. What would make it more interesting is if you could get access to unlockable cosmetics based on your level for more powerful and exotic looking prosthetic limbs. ie runes on a wood limb or maybe animated vines. Dwarves might have a more steampunk looking limb with steam. Ideally what would make it interesting is if you could combine a weapon with the limb. A limb weapon would simply replace the weapon in the hand with identical stats of the equipped weapon. Unfortunately the limb weapon would always look the same as it would be too much to do that for every weapon in the game. You could maybe add augment effects like fire and such if the weapon equipped has those. I'd expect limb weapons likely to be limited to two types such as sword or dagger since can't expect them to do new unique weapon animations for artificial limbs for every weapon either.
  • Options
    More character customisation is always good. As I've said previously, even when some people take it too far one way, there are others who use it in a fantastically original way that makes it worthwhile.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I woukdn't mind the addition, if they are able to nake them look fantasyish
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited August 2022
    Cool idea, I'd definitely have a pirate-like wooden leg/peg leg if available.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Not sure how good the magical interventions are. We have resurrection so I assume soothsayers and medicine men could magic limbs back onto a toon. Of course, personal choice might have a prosthetic limb put in place instead of a magical medical solutions. I'm ambivalent about it either way. Its not like cosmetics won't cover the prosthetics anyway.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    MahesMahes Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    There was a comic that took this to kind of a humorous level. The game catered to the idea of having blind players. Your screen would just be black. Party members had to direct the poor soul during a dragon fight...

There were things like " You are standing in the fire" , Character falls , and the funny one was the party member yelling " Look Out".
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Are we able to put a cannon and/or other weapon in the limb?
  • Options
    I would rock a hook hand on my ranger. Gets a prosthetic thumbs up from me.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I just got these when they were available:

vkxafjz3s83a.png

Shalom.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I think it would be a very cool item drop or something. Anything else ehhh because when everyone is running around with prosthetic limbs it loses it's individuality.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    This is a cool idea! I could see prosthetic legs or arms that makes it look like you once lost them in a battle.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    MaiWaifuMaiWaifu Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    As much as I like the idea of cosmetics during character creation for prosthetics, I'm not sure it's something I'd like to see in AoC.

If it were added, I would hope that each limb is gated behind a quest as a cosmetic reward or something instead.

You can have multiple variations of prosthetics based on what node type you got your quest reward from or something.

Complete a set and you're now a golem, maybe even remove your heart entirely and you're a lich hiding your own phylactery in a random house in a different node.

If there aren't examples of NPCs or explanation for how they work, I personally think it's kind of a failure in world building, which is why I would prefer if they were tied to quests.
  • Options
    There's a planned mechanic where you can unlock additional cosmetics through quests/actions/achievements/events/etc. I think that would be the best way to implement prosthetics.

Maybe you have to die X number of times during successful sieges to unlock a prosthetic arm, sink X number of enemy ships to unlock a peg leg, or complete a long magic-focused questline to unlock a glowing gemstone eye. There's lots of options, and it'd give the appropriate gravitas to someone missing a limb.
  • Options
    I really love the idea of this. An enchanted object - say a gauntlet, or a wooden carving, or a mannequin's limb - build to respond to a user's thoughts like a real limb would sounds like a really solid way to expand the customization of a given character without changing too much about the fundamental aspects of the world. Guild Wars 2 showed it can be done as equipment skins recently which is great in itself, though I'd personally prefer the ability to wear clothing over a prosthetic limb as a cosmetic option; I'm fairly sure UE5 has the clothing functionality for that.