Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

In a world based on Chi (Soul) why is there no...

Monk Class or at least a subclass?!

Was it a design decision to leave the monk out or just didn't occur to anyone? Is it in the chart below by some other name?

I know I would love to play that style in this type of world.

Ashes_of_Creation_Class_List.jpg
~Marten
marten.png
​“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Comments

  • Options
    It's Steven's koan to help you lose your attachment to being a monk.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    @CROW3 Riddle me this...

    I think I found my answer. Leaves me kind of sad though. Thanks for the witty reply though.
    Talents wrote: »

    The archetypes haven't been changed since the game was first announced. What apparently happened was originally there were 3 more archetypes planned, but Steven scrapped the idea when he realised how much of a gargantuan task it would be to implement 3 more archetypes into the Ashes class system (seeing as how each new archetype that is added is basically multiplicative in regards to augments and stuff).

    They've never revealed what the 3 archetypes that were scrapped were.
    ~Marten
    marten.png
    ​“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
  • Options
    You bet. Here's a related thread if it's of any interest...

    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/53150/expansion-classes-yay-or-nay/p1

    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    @CROW3 That was very helpful. Thank you!
    ~Marten
    marten.png
    ​“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
  • Options
    TheMarten wrote: »
    In a world based on Chi (Soul), why is there no Monk Class or at least a subclass?!

    "A monk (/mʌŋk/, from Greek: μοναχός, monachos, "single, solitary" via Latin monachus)[1][2] is a person who practices religious asceticism by monastic living, either alone or with any number of other monks.[3] A monk may be a person who decides to dedicate their life to serving other people and serving God, or to be an ascetic who voluntarily chooses to leave mainstream society and live their life in prayer and contemplation. The concept is ancient and can be seen in many religions and in philosophy."

    Sitting by yourself in a small room and contemplating theology probably isn't a great gaming experience. I mean, there may be some niche cases of people who'd enjoy it, but in a game like Intrepid are making, it probably isn't the best decision to include it.

    Just to clarify for you: An actual Monk isn't someone that goes around fighting everyone they see, and bashing them in the face with a longstaff.

    TheMarten wrote: »
    Was it a design decision to leave the monk out or just didn't occur to anyone? Is it in the chart below by some other name?

    I know I would love to play that style in this type of world.

    If you're looking for a playstyle with a spiritual theme to it, have you considered looking at the Cleric line of classes?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    @daveywavey

    I know what a monk is IRL :p just like I know what a mage is IRL... oh wait. Since a mage is not real, does that mean we should not be playing them, or do we play them because they are not real? /rhetorical question
    daveywavey wrote: »
    If you're looking for a playstyle with a spiritual theme to it, have you considered looking at the Cleric line of classes?

    Seriously though, yes when playing a game that has them, cleric is my primary character. If they also have the monk, that is my secondary, because after keeping a group alive in a tough fight I get the urge to go puch something in the face ;)

    ~Marten
    marten.png
    ​“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    What does a monk's kit look like to you? The answer might be that there is a monk just with a different label depending on your answer.

    But superficially obviously there is no monk. Nor do I think it's really necessary when Fighter can be built fairly easily to incorporate what that class plays like in other mmos. I for one will be very disappointed if Fighter cannot achieve this as I too would like to play monk on my alt if smn is good or as my main if smn is bad.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited August 2022
    JustVine wrote: »
    What does a monk's kit look like to you?

    One-handed Clap
    Range: Melee (3-5 yards)
    Targeting: Area of Effect
    Description: A monk presents a conundrum to all targets around her, exploding their minds for 1d1000 dmg.


    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    CROW3 wrote: »
    JustVine wrote: »
    What does a monk's kit look like to you?

    One-handed Clap
    Range: Melee (3-5 yards)
    Targeting: Area of Effect
    Description: A monk presents a conundrum to all targets around her, exploding their minds for 1d1000 dmg.


    Sir this is an open wendy's PvP mmo
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    JustVine wrote: »
    Sir this is an open wendy's PvP mmo

    One must think outside the bun, @JustVine.

    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    TheMarten wrote: »
    @daveywavey

    I know what a monk is IRL :p just like I know what a mage is IRL... oh wait. Since a mage is not real, does that mean we should not be playing them, or do we play them because they are not real? /rhetorical question
    daveywavey wrote: »
    If you're looking for a playstyle with a spiritual theme to it, have you considered looking at the Cleric line of classes?

    Seriously though, yes when playing a game that has them, cleric is my primary character. If they also have the monk, that is my secondary, because after keeping a group alive in a tough fight I get the urge to go puch something in the face ;)

    Save Lives, Punch Faces?

    Sir, that's a Paladin.
  • Options
    JustVine wrote: »
    What does a monk's kit look like to you? The answer might be that there is a monk just with a different label depending on your answer.

    But superficially obviously there is no monk. Nor do I think it's really necessary when Fighter can be built fairly easily to incorporate what that class plays like in other mmos. I for one will be very disappointed if Fighter cannot achieve this as I too would like to play monk on my alt if smn is good or as my main if smn is bad.

    Exactly! Just cos it's not called a "Monk", doesn't mean it's not there, @TheMarten

    Don't get too hung up on the name, go for the playstyle. Your Paladin/Templar/Protector/etc can be RP'ed as a Monk if needed.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Thanks all for the replies. In time I guess I will have a chance to explore the classes and try to make something that fills my needs.

    The Devs have asked for questions for the live stream, and the one about having items in the game that will allow one to make a melee that feels like a monk currently has the most up votes, so I hope Steve and the other Devs will take the time to come up with a reply. I can only hope that reply is something in the realm of, "signs point to yes" and not "outlook not so good, please shake me later ©."
    ~Marten
    marten.png
    ​“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
  • Options
    If I see a panda tulnar RPing as a monk I will gank that person no less than 5 times a day.
    GJjUGHx.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.