Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

AoC Alpha 2 release before world economy collapses ?

Hey Guys,
I look forward to the release of AoC because lets face it there aren't many alternatives.
So I know starting the alpha 2 with current defined scope is years out. But if you listen to economists right now that aren't drinking the kool-aid, we are looking at a major economic downturn in the 1st quarter of 2023.
If that happens, there will be many people sitting at home with nothing to do.

If I was running a game company, I would start cutting Alpha 2 scope until I had something workable and I would do game resets why ? because what else are all us unemployed people going to do. If there is some contractual concern make it Alpha 1.5 and give Alpha 2.0 holders access to it.
Having something available when everyone wants to escape reality could drive a lot of revenue into AoC at a time when others are going belly up.

Just a thought to keep the light burning.

Comments

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm not convinced that 'the unemployed' is the target market for AoC.
  • Options
    SolmyrSolmyr Member
    edited August 2022
    The last thing I'm gonna do if I'm short on cash is sign up for a monthly bill just to play a video game, much less drop however much they're asking to get into A2.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    I think civil war in the United States disrupting production is more likely than a depression causing IS to stop working on a project they've said is fully funded. Given how unlikely either is I wouldn't worry about it.
    Small print leads to large risks.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Unemployed often does not mean $0 income. $15 a month for 24/7 entertainment is one of the best uses of money available to avoid having nothing to do.
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    I'm not convinced that 'the unemployed' is the target market for AoC.

Maybe ... but what about the armchair developer knowledge being dropped on the very first day of the forums?

• Options
    In this scenario, I imagine Intrepid would be more concerned about protecting the value of its investment assets to continue funding development at a predictable pace, than increasing its burn rate by accelerating an unbaked Alpha2.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    ChaIk wrote: »
    The last thing I'm gonna do if I'm short on cash is sign up for a monthly bill just to play a video game, much less drop however much they're asking to get into A2.

Casual player I see. Don't have time to spend real money if you're too busy spending fake money in AoC.

*taps on forehead*
    5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options
    TheMartenTheMarten Member
    edited August 2022
    Beorkin wrote: »
    But if you listen to economists right now that aren't drinking the kool-aid, we are looking at a major economic downturn in the 1st quarter of 2023.
    If that happens, there will be many people sitting at home with nothing to do.
    Coming off the worst first-half since 1970, US equities now face a triple whammy of sticky inflation, recession risks and the threat to corporate profits from sinking consumer confidence.
    ~Bloomberg July 2, 2022

See, the thing is... I was born in 1970... I invested my entire life savings in the stock market mid January of this year... it dropped 40%. Now I am told that markets don't pay attention to a single investor, but you could have fooled me!

Anyway, I am kind of stuck in the market, so I guess there will lots of people with time on their hands :expressionless:
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited August 2022
    Lucky for you to think that a downturn will begin in 2023. For many people it begun two years ago along Chinese virus and the authoritarian measures taken to fight it.

Regarding Alpha 2 release date, I highly doubt they will change the scope before launch, unless it's something they basically feel it's going to take years to develop, which in turn the only system that feels quite revolutionary and difficult to develop is the core of the game.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited August 2022
    AoC release before world gets blown up from China, America and russia, and rocket man
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited August 2022
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    AoC release before world gets blown up from China, America and russia, and rocket man

Rocketman only cares about fending off the inevitable fishmen invasion. He is a true hero. A guardian of humanity.
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    did someone say the sky was falling??
  • Options
    EdHEdH Member
    Caww wrote: »
    did someone say the sky was falling??

nah, no one mentioned climate change.
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    We must invade China and India and 34 other countries in order to get them to go green or the world will climate change. Prepare for war. Play as many video games as fucking possible before then.
  • Options
    Climate change will surely end the world before 2023, so this is all moot anyway!
    5bnfc1w9rri4.png
  • Options
    If elon musk uploads our consciousness to space with AoC as the game to play we can paly that for a infinite amount of years since our perception will be hyper fast being digitally uploaded.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Okeydoke wrote: »
    We must invade China and India and 34 other countries in order to get them to go green or the world will climate change. Prepare for war. Play as many video games as fucking possible before then.

I heard that usa companies and the gov are responsible for 40% of the environmental dmg. Why invade india, china and another 34 countries? Shut down usa, let only intrepid finish the game in order to avoid the end of the world before AoCs release.