Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should the Mayor get a salary?

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
From the wiki:
  • Allocating money gathered via node taxes.[31][12]
  • Directing treasury funds into building projects and/or improving node defensive structures, such as stronger walls and gates, traps, and siege equipment.[31][37][38][12]
  • Mayors can also allocate treasury funding to hire mercenary NPCs to defend their node during sieges.[39][12]
  • Tax money may only be used to fund node development.

If I am reading correctly, it appears there is no individual benefit to the player that becomes a Mayor. Whilst the role is of importance, I believe there should be some individual benefit to the Mayor such as a salary or % return on the taxes.
If some benefit to individual or guild that places their member in the position.

Should there be a financial incentive to become mayor, such as a salary or % of taxes?
«1

Comments

  • Options
    i dont think there should be.
    Developing the node in the direction you want is plenty of reward.
    If that isnt enough for somebody, then they can leave the job to someone else imo.
  • Options
    The benefit is being able to guide a node towards what you and your guild prefer. Sure there's still voting but you get to decide what people vote on (i think.)
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    No.
  • Options
    @Sathrago the only thing that has voting (as far as we know so far), are the new policies.

    Taxrate, Construction Projects, Node Fund Spending etc. were all at the discretion of the Mayor so far.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    One of the benefits of not paying the mayor a salary is you get a better mayor.

    Why? Because no one will try to become a mayor to enrich themselves, their guild or their friends. People who put the work in to become a mayor will be more likely to do so for the good of the node. Attracting mayors who want the best for their node is a good thing for all citizens of the node.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Mayor gets a flying mount!!
  • Options
    do it for the love of the people
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    @Sathrago the only thing that has voting (as far as we know so far), are the new policies.

    Taxrate, Construction Projects, Node Fund Spending etc. were all at the discretion of the Mayor so far.

    gotcha. That's quite a bit of power already that they can use. No need for a salary.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    ChimeChime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The incentive is to be mayor and get a flying mount, I feel like that's enough already.
    "Bravery only means something to those who are afraid of death."
  • Options
    ButtercupCloverButtercupClover Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I believe Steven has also mentioned special abilities that a mayor can activate during a siege. There's plenty of incentives to being a mayor, but for most it will probably be more effort in running a node than they would want. Especially early in the game, a good mayor will most likely have to much to do and won't have much time to actually grind and level.
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Chime wrote: »
    The incentive is to be mayor and get a flying mount, I feel like that's enough already.

    That's Kings/Queens. You don't get a flying mount for being a node mayor, you need to rule a castle (or metropolis?).

    That said: You don't want the sort of mayor who's there for the salary. There's a ton of benefit to building a strong node (particularly to your personal specifications). Use that incentive. You want the mayor's incentives to be aligned with the citizens, or things will go terribly wrong.
  • Options
    ButtercupCloverButtercupClover Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    SongRune wrote: »
    Chime wrote: »
    The incentive is to be mayor and get a flying mount, I feel like that's enough already.

    That's Kings/Queens. You don't get a flying mount for being a node mayor, you need to rule a castle (or metropolis?).

    Mayors of a metropolis do get flying mounts, the same as a King/Queen. True it's not just any mayor but some mayors will have access to flying mounts. https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Royal_mounts
  • Options
    No Mayor salary
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You get a a chance to have a flying mount. So there is that perk at minimum. No guarantees one though.

    I do think it would be interesting to come with a performance based economic benefit (idk if it should be a salary per say) given that I expect it to take a decent amount of your time playing to both achieve and maintain. And as I always say, if it costs you time to do in game you could otherwise be farming mats, you probably need compensation if it facilitates other players fun for you to take that economic risk. After all even gankers will get paid for their time via mats from their prey. I'd hope mayor Janice does as well.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    ButtercupCloverButtercupClover Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Personally I'm going to try for mayor without any incentives, and I know many others who feel the same. The idea that you get to build a city and region of the world that lasts is enticing enough to warrant all the effort that goes into it. The possibility for a flying mount is just an added bonus.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    On the one hand, I totally agree with you ButtercupClover. On the other hand it seems pretty counter to Ashes over all dev philosophy to me to not compensate some reward for the risks involved in both time, notoriety, and opportunity to gain resources.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    ButtercupCloverButtercupClover Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I get what you're saying too, but there's also a lot we don't know about mayors. There are mayor based quests but we don't know if mayors get experience when players complete that quest or if there's some other benefit to being mayor. I like how it is now as it weeds out the people who are there for the bonuses and makes it only people who want the city to be better. That way you don't get someone getting voted in as mayor, then just ignoring their job and gaining a passive income.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I get what you're saying too, but there's also a lot we don't know about mayors. There are mayor based quests but we don't know if mayors get experience when players complete that quest or if there's some other benefit to being mayor. I like how it is now as it weeds out the people who are there for the bonuses and makes it only people who want the city to be better. That way you don't get someone getting voted in as mayor, then just ignoring their job and gaining a passive income.

    Ah, that's why I personally suggest it be a performance based incentive rather than a flat salary. And yeah, you are right, there is definitely a lot we don't know.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited August 2022
    akabear wrote: »
    If I am reading correctly, it appears there is no individual benefit to the player that becomes a Mayor.

    Unfortunately you're not reading correctly.

    For some reason, you only pointed out some benefits of being a Mayor from the Wiki. Let me show a couple other benefits:
    • The mayoral title unlocks special abilities and stats during sieges or events.[9]
    • Mark foreign citizens of other nodes as enemies of the state.[32][33]
    • Declaring war on another node and rallying citizens to the cause.[31][32]
    • Royal mounts are a tier 3[87] class of flying mounts available to Mayors of metropolis nodes

    I'd say being a mayor is pretty fucking beneficial. And if you want, you can "sell yourself" as a Mayor for people with dark intentions.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    akabear wrote: »
    If I am reading correctly, it appears there is no individual benefit to the player that becomes a Mayor.

    Unfortunately you're not reading correctly.

    For some reason, you only pointed out some benefits of being a Mayor from the Wiki. Let me show a couple other benefits:
    • The mayoral title unlocks special abilities and stats during sieges or events.[9]
    • Mark foreign citizens of other nodes as enemies of the state.[32][33]
    • Declaring war on another node and rallying citizens to the cause.[31][32]
    • Royal mounts are a tier 3[87] class of flying mounts available to Mayors of metropolis nodes

    I'd say being a mayor is pretty fucking beneficial. And if you want, you can "sell yourself" as a Mayor for people with dark intentions.

    No, I did not read all.. that is interesting.. but I guess I`m in the minority here.. I would prefer to have a personal or guild financial benefit/return while in power, and/or something that carried past the mayoral term.
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »
    I would prefer to have a personal or guild financial benefit/return while in power, and/or something that carried past the mayoral term.

    That's how you kill a game, just take a look at New World. You're a minority because most people understand what happens when you can charge other people to buy things you want.

    In any case, a portion of the tax money from Castles can be used freely so for whatever reason you think zergs should be financially rewarded, there you have it.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    ButtercupCloverButtercupClover Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    akabear wrote: »
    No, I did not read all.. that is interesting.. but I guess I`m in the minority here.. I would prefer to have a personal or guild financial benefit/return while in power, and/or something that carried past the mayoral term.

    You might want to read on the guild castle part of the wiki. Those allow the guild that owns the castle to collect taxes and get benefits for owning it. Most guilds are going to fight over that rather than mayorship of a node.
  • Options
    chuckstickschucksticks Member
    edited August 2022
    Warth wrote: »
    @Sathrago the only thing that has voting (as far as we know so far), are the new policies.

    Taxrate, Construction Projects, Node Fund Spending etc. were all at the discretion of the Mayor so far.

    Sounds like a setup to encourage bribery. Mayor's probably gonna get paid, just not from taxes. /s
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited August 2022
    More importantly, what would one get for assassinating @NiKr - I mean - a mayor?

    Asking for a friend … 🤔
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    No thanks to mayoral salaries. I don't want people running for mayor for the money.
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    More importantly, what would one get for assassinating @NiKr - I mean - a mayor?

    Asking for a friend … 🤔

    Did you just think up another bounty hunter mechanic because all I'm saying is... if enough people vote for a hit on a mayor who isn't doing their job, could they be "assassinated"? And have a new mayor selection process start?
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Dolyem wrote: »
    CROW3 wrote: »
    More importantly, what would one get for assassinating @NiKr - I mean - a mayor?

    Asking for a friend … 🤔

    Did you just think up another bounty hunter mechanic because all I'm saying is... if enough people vote for a hit on a mayor who isn't doing their job, could they be "assassinated"? And have a new mayor selection process start?

    Oh, this plays into the dynamic Nikr and I have been sketching out for an enemy of the state conflict. The voting on assassination is a cool concept. I’d just blend that ‘feature’ into how each type of node would move to depose a leader.

    An economic node would support a hostile share buyout, a scientific node might require a vote of no confidence, a military node may be a formal duel, etc.

    In this case, I think assassination as a BH activity would only be an option for a warring node, or the unlikely combination of a BH being declared the enemy of a state.

    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »

    Should there be a financial incentive to become mayor, such as a salary or % of taxes?

    How do politicians normally make extra cash? back handers baby.
  • Options
    ChimeChime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    SongRune wrote: »
    Chime wrote: »
    The incentive is to be mayor and get a flying mount, I feel like that's enough already.

    That's Kings/Queens. You don't get a flying mount for being a node mayor, you need to rule a castle (or metropolis?).

    ux38upzvugwm.png

    You do, plus like @BaSkA13 has listed- they still get a lot of perks.
    "Bravery only means something to those who are afraid of death."
  • Options
    IronhopeIronhope Member
    edited August 2022
    Honestly, if you're important enough to get elected, you're realistically in the ''doing fine'' (at least) category of players anyway.

    You're probably a guild leader (also the person holding the guild funds).
Sign In or Register to comment.