Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Becoming a Good or Bad Mayor and Citizen's Feedback to the Mayor

Hello Intrepid, I just watch August 26 dev update and just wanted to share my piece about nodes and becoming a mayor.

Regarding choosing policy as a mayor of the node and deciding which policy to implement to get voted on by citizen. Can the mayor put a note/message why he prioritized that specific node compared to others so that citizen knows the purpose of why the mayor chose that policy instead of another? For example, Asylum policy (where it provides instant citizenship for refugees of a fallen node), a mayor can say "I am prioritizing the asylum policy because a neighbor node is at war and if the neighbor node loses then we can grow our node population hence make the node grow faster". I believe that this can be helpful especially for new players or new citizen of the node to know what's currently going on inside the node.

I addition, I am hoping there is a way for citizens to communicate to the mayor what he/she is doing right or wrong based on citizen's opinion or happiness. Because if a non experience player become a mayor, then he may, unintentionally, become a bad mayor by choosing a wrong policy or wrong building to create in a node. At least, the new mayor would have a chance to be better during his tenure. But if he ignores the citizen's opinion, that he can be voted out based on just being a bad mayor.

Thank you for listening.

Comments

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would hope that a mayor would spend time getting to know the citizens, making friends, finding out their goals and hopes for the node, and being an example of a good citizen of the node. S/he should ask opinions, get feedback and work harder than anyone else for the advancement of the node.

This will probably be the norm for successful mayors of scientific nodes, since they are elected by popular vote. It will be less likely for mayors of other types of nodes since their mayorship is not dependent on the opinion of other citizens.

Economic nodes, where the office is purchased, could go to those who work hard to earn money and who are motivated by finances. Groups might pool resources to put one of them into office.
    Military nodes, where the office is fought for, could go to the best PvP player who has ambitions for advancement. It could be interesting when competing guilds put forward their best fighters, or when an unknown beats the guild champion.
    Religious nodes, where the office is earned by doing node quests, is going to probably be a player with a lot of play time and motivation.
  • Options
    ButtercupCloverButtercupClover Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Those that get remembered as good mayors are probably going to be the ones with the best communication with their people and that listens to their feedback. It's not on the game to provide a way for mayors to engage with their citizens, it's on the mayors to make sure there are easy lines of communication.

If it's a guild based node and no one can influence how the mayor acts, then most players will avoid the node if they aren't in the guild. If the mayor is just ignoring the citizens and choosing policies they want to chose, people might misunderstand the decisions and move to another node. If a mayor isn't open and inviting to people, the node won't be able to reach metropolis stage because it doesn't draw in players.
  • Options
    I agree with @tautau that conscious efforts towards becoming a "good mayor" will likely be practiced most often by scientific node leaders, but any mayor who wants to be successful and inspire confidence and optimism in their citizenry will have to put in the effort to communicate. I wouldn't be surprised if highly successful mayors devote 1-2 hours every week or two to a player-run Town Hall gathering where invested node citizens can gather to discuss political matters or issues of node growth and development direction with the mayor. There might be a scribe who short-hands the conversation highlights and posts them to a community run discord for interested citizens who're unable to attend.

These sorts of efforts, efforts that take more than a few simple keystrokes, are going to be what determines good leadership, not a "sorry if you don't like it but here's why I did this" footnote under every policy, political, and development decision.
  • Options
    AlphaDx wrote: »
    Hello Intrepid, I just watch August 26 dev update and just wanted to share my piece about nodes and becoming a mayor.

Regarding choosing policy as a mayor of the node and deciding which policy to implement to get voted on by citizen. Can the mayor put a note/message why he prioritized that specific node compared to others so that citizen knows the purpose of why the mayor chose that policy instead of another? For example, Asylum policy (where it provides instant citizenship for refugees of a fallen node), a mayor can say "I am prioritizing the asylum policy because a neighbor node is at war and if the neighbor node loses then we can grow our node population hence make the node grow faster". I believe that this can be helpful especially for new players or new citizen of the node to know what's currently going on inside the node.

I addition, I am hoping there is a way for citizens to communicate to the mayor what he/she is doing right or wrong based on citizen's opinion or happiness. Because if a non experience player become a mayor, then he may, unintentionally, become a bad mayor by choosing a wrong policy or wrong building to create in a node. At least, the new mayor would have a chance to be better during his tenure. But if he ignores the citizen's opinion, that he can be voted out based on just being a bad mayor.

Thank you for listening.

Agreed with the Commentary function on Node Policy Votes.
    That would indeed be good.

Feedback is a very simple thing in Online Games. /whisper "Mayor": "You suck".

There is no voting out Mayors during their Tenure. The only way to get them out is waiting till the next election a month later or destroying the node itself.