Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What kind of ocean pvp direction is likely?

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited August 2022 in General Discussion
What kind of ocean combat direction is likely to replicate?

Something like -
  • Arche
  • Sea of Thieves
  • Atlas
  • BDO
  • Something else

Any links welcome!

Comments

• Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    The ships will have Potion launchers in the place of Canons so ammo type can be swapped for different effects (and ranges I would imagine).

I'm hoping they add to this some sort of close range grapple weapon, so ships that manage to get close can latch onto the opposing ship and allow us to storm it on foot.
  • Options
    Ever since the last update, I've had Assassin Creed: Black Flag in my head. The way they described it makes me think they are going in this direction. I don't think the crew will be scrambling to the cannons when it's time to fight like in Sea of Thieves. I imagine a system that allows 1 or 2 designated cannon operators which will streamline the vessel's defense and free up the others for boarding.
  • Options
    BDO navel combat is dog crap.
  • Options
    I like and hope ArcheAge's, and since Steven draws a lot of inspiration from it, I reckon it's quite likely.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Options
    I’m looking forward to kicking folks off their own ships with a nice knock-back.

Hmm… are there sharks?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    I hope physics play a role and reward building momentum and ramming to cause a knockdown/man overboard effect to gain an advantage
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    1,200 km2 (square kilometers) is the expected total world size of Verra at launch, including land (480 km2) and water/ocean (750 km2), but excluding the size of the Underrealm.[1]

The Ocean will be HUGE. Visibility will be better than on land, of course, but given its immense size, I expect that most of it will be empty of players.

What players are on the ocean will likely concentrate around ports and common trade routes or fishing areas. This means that if you want to spend time in the oceans at the edges of the world and the large expanses away from land, it is likely that seeing another player will be quite rare.
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited August 2022
    I hope that the sailing and the ship vs. ship mechanics are similar to Sea of Thieves, that game does a great job at it (if it didn't, holy shit).

Now regarding boarding enemy ships, I don't know. I hope it is more realistic than Sea of Thieves, because in that game if a ship goes by you at 40 mph, you don't have any collision damage and you can climb on a rope on the side of the ship, very unrealistic, but it fits that game I guess. Maybe only be able to board ships if they're moving slowly, because I wouldn't be able to grab on a ship going faster than 5 mph I don't think.

Last but not least, I'm not sure yet on what I want to happen in the scenario where the crew of a ship is wiped, now their ship is stranded in the middle of the ocean.

I feel like destroying a ship shouldn't be incentivized so that you can loot the debris, so that means losing a ship would be a healthy gold sink and the materials invested are gone when the ship is destroyed.

I also feel like being able to steal other people's ships and GTA the shit out of the Ocean would be extremely fun, especially if you're able to permanently keep an enemy ship to remove its good blueprints/components or to simply use it instead of a ship you bought. That also means that, when you park your ship on the ocean to go do underwater content, it might not be there when you come back. Make the anchor take a long time to raise and the ship unable to move until it's completely risen, so that you're able to react, but if you don't pay attention it's gone. Maybe the whole GTA idea is hard to balance, although realistic.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶