Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Oasis Mirage Random Event

Oasis mirage random event: Players wandering around the desert for long periods of time will have an extremely rare chance of triggering a random event, In which the player sees a lush and shining oasis in the distance. When the player approaches the oasis event, 1 of 3 things will happen. 1. The Oasis vanishes without a trace leaving only sand and disappointment. 2. The oasis vanishes and a world boss appears. 3. The oasis remains long enough for the player to find a chest that holds a one-of-a-kind weapon, armor, or home decoration **Which comes with a description of "The fates grant you fortune, or perhaps a curse...".**

Goal:
Create an atmosphere of myth and legend among the community for the desert biome. Making the desert mysterious, dangerous, and worth exploring.

Comments

• Options
    Sound like a really awesome idea!!
    But i think a worldboss might be too much i'd say a big Group of Mobs or elite monster for a hard fight World be cool like a antlion which sucks u into its maws to eat you. Or sucking u down into a dungeon/tomb where u get debuffs for a hard fight. Main mobs could be mummies or the snakeman with ocasional scorpion mixxed in and the bossfight is the owner of the grave which in turn could be used as a mat/recipe for our dear necromants to get stronger summon.
  • Options
    Great idea! Although, this sounds like an instanced event. "Off in the distance" doesn't exist in an open-world MMO, since there will always be someone right next to it. When adding the condition of only players that have been wandering in the desert for long periods of time, what would happen when a player not meeting that condition is standing right ontop of the oasis you're standing in?

To make this work, I think you should be instanced off into a plain desert with said oasis off in the distance.
  • Options
    RottenStrayRottenStray Member
    edited August 2022
    I completely agree with the world boss issue. I love the mummies Idea (Now just sprinkle in some scorpions and we got a party). Maybe the debuff is a dehydration status effect that lowers all of the player's stats leaving them open for an ambush. Strong narrative. Elite mobs would be far easier to implement and balance.

However, I think accidentally unleashing a massive bone giant or an ancient abomination that begins sieging a nearby node would be about the coolest thing that could happen in this biome. I would personally take pride in being the one responsible for the destruction, even if it was my home node. Plus the redemption of fighting the world boss you spawned is just epic.

I really hope the devs see this post if nothing more than for a laugh. =)
  • Options
    Azalez wrote: »
    Great idea! Although, this sounds like an instanced event. "Off in the distance" doesn't exist in an open-world MMO, since there will always be someone right next to it. When adding the condition of only players that have been wandering in the desert for long periods of time, what would happen when a player not meeting that condition is standing right on top of the oasis you're standing in?

To make this work, I think you should be instanced off into a plain desert with said oasis off in the distance.

All are valid points! Perhaps one of the conditions is that the player is alone with no one in the area. Lilwofe commented about a status debuff idea which I really like. They have heat mirages already in the game, so perhaps the dehydration debuff causes increased occurrences of these visual distortions. Which then could allow a player side only visual of the random event. I'm not a developer and I have no idea what it would take to implement. Fun to play around with the Idea I guess. =)