Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Underrealm Speculation: Potential sea bypasses and underground chokepoints?

HartwellHartwell Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited August 2022 in General Discussion
Somethings we know about the Underrealm:
  • The Underrealm is estimated to be 100 km2 in area.
  • There will be areas that are obstructed by chasms or other features.
  • The location of Underrealm entrances throughout the world is focused around natural geographic choke-points that exist above ground. This provides alternate subterranean routes that can be used by caravans, raids, and other player activities.
  • Not all entrances to the Underrealm will be open at the same time. This can shift dynamically (based on node states) that cause different routes to open up, which may be more or less advantageous than other routes.

In other words, deep seas would obstruct the Underrealm, so most of it is probably under landmasses. The chances of there being passages under the ocean is slim. However, something is strange about the new map. I've noticed that the islands are more centered. The distance between lands may imply the level of depth of those waters. These distances are shorter near these islands.

I do not have any good tools for measuring the new map, nor do I really want to get all scientific about a screenshot from a livestream. I'll just use a simple line tool with equally sized and spaced dots. Called them "paces" as some pseudo measurement unit for distance. More paces means a greater distance. I've tried to make the "shallow paces" contain more paces intentionally, especially in the ice regions, so that people don't think I'm putting too many paces on the "deep paces" and not enough on the other.

bq42377zaidk.jpg

Could these waters be shallow enough for the Underrealm? Would people like such routes to be present in the game? Should entrances to such passages be dynamically impacted by nodes and environments?

Comments

• Options
    I honostly doubt it cause he seem to want crossing the ocean to be a big deal with resources hence the open world pvp status now on open ocean. you might get one going through one of the smaller islands in the middle if a node is high enough maybe on that point but i dont think we will see that
  • Options
    HartwellHartwell Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    Veeshan wrote: »
    I honostly doubt it cause he seem to want crossing the ocean to be a big deal with resources hence the open world pvp status now on open ocean. you might get one going through one of the smaller islands in the middle if a node is high enough maybe on that point but i dont think we will see that

There are high risk options with high rewards, such as transporting goods in a short amount of time. Steven definitely wants that as a high risk option for moving goods across the sea. The low risk option for material transport would be an alternative route to that, but to have players take longer to get to their destination. The Northern most Island is a much longer path to take than just crossing the Ocean. It is effectively a U-turn towards any destination Southwards of it.

The alternative modes of transport that Steven listed in the comments section of that Youtube video were not low risk material transportation alternatives. Those were just for personnel. It does bring up questions to what he may have in mind for the low risk and low reward options for material transport.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Well, crossing seems to be OK.
    Exploring and adventuring in the Open Seas is the risky part.
    Steven says thats because there's unique NPCs and unique treasure-finding opportunities there.
    If you wish to bypass those opportunities by traveling the Underrealm - you likely can. Especially if you can cross the Open Seas with a flight path.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Well, crossing seems to be OK.
    Exploring and adventuring in the Open Seas is the risky part.
    Steven says thats because there's unique NPCs and unique treasure-finding opportunities there.
    If you wish to bypass those opportunities by traveling the Underrealm - you likely can. Especially if you can cross the Open Seas with a flight path.

Crossing with resources is the thing they want to be riskier, you can expect air traveling with reosurces to be nonexsistant or expensive