Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why not have active weapon skills?

SettiteSettite Member
edited August 2022 in General Discussion
Has Steven mentioned why he is opposed to having weapon active skills in the game? It seems like it'd cause more bad than good. An example would be the whirlwind skill; it'll really odd for someone to be spinning around with an orb or book and have that animation. Also if they are then planning to make a whirlwind animation for every weapon type then that seems like alot of extra work instead of just making a few active skill per weapon, especially when you consider all of the skill that would need a different animation. I believe ESO has its flaws, though I believe it also succeeded in making every weapon feel unique. This is one mmo I believe managed to make active weapon skills feel worth it. If we end up not having them and the passive abilities offered don't feel worth it enough, weapons will almost feel cosmetic. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    For a whirlwind skill you need to have a sword equipped because this skill is a sword specific skill, so you won't be able to spin while having an orb in you hand. I also don't understand what you mean with "making the same animation for different weapons is more work than making a few active skills per weapon", this is actually the contrary.
  • Options
    Your saying it's a sword skill, however it was stated that they would have no active weapon skills so how could it a sword skill specifically? That's a fair point; let me rephrase, I'd say it won't necessarily be more work however it'll look pretty odd to have the skill attached to a book or orb and have the same animation or an entirely new one. Could u imaging a mage spinning around in a circle with an orb? Seems off. I guess it's worth noting that they also say they were revamping combat so maybe they decided to have active skills for weapons.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited August 2022
    Just in case it helps, here’s what’s known thus far:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Weapon_skills
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png