Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Caravan Camping

Recently had a discussion about Caravans and how they are quite the risk while traveling and thought, how cool would it be to be able to travel around the world and use it as an RV? Set up a temporary camp, go do your thing in a dungeon or for a quest, and then pack up and move out.

For a lot of us, being stuck to a single node or city isn't really ideal since we thrive for risk and adventure. Being that a Caravan is already a huge risk for being PvP flagged, having a mobile camp attached brings in that sense of realism, fidelity, or just a feeling of being a part of the world as a temporary footprint.

I wanted to gather some thoughts on this and hopefully it's something the Devs will consider as a feature for those willing to take the risk of using Caravans in the world.

~Donut
t8nw2wdebql7.png

Comments

• Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It feels unrealistic to me. I absolutely don't mind if some sort of "roaming mobile home" system is added, with all the various risks you might expect, but for Caravans themselves to be equipped as something that would ever want to do anything other than 'proceed as smoothly as possible directly to their destination' is somewhat against their purpose and economic nature, and just isn't a very realistic thing that an entity preparing a caravan would plan seriously for.

That said, what would you want to see in your temporary camp, as features?
  • Options
    SongRune wrote: »
    It feels unrealistic to me. I absolutely don't mind if some sort of "roaming mobile home" system is added, with all the various risks you might expect, but for Caravans themselves to be equipped as something that would ever want to do anything other than 'proceed as smoothly as possible directly to their destination' is somewhat against their purpose and economic nature, and just isn't a very realistic thing that an entity preparing a caravan would plan seriously for.

That said, what would you want to see in your temporary camp, as features?

Honestly maybe just something as simple as a couple tents, campfire and cooking pot. It's not something to be looked at as a second home but something between towns and civilizations to "make due" when you're out in the wilderness would be nice, and Caravans fit that bill.
    t8nw2wdebql7.png
  • Options
    I actually love this idea. However, one problem is the combination of what you’d have to pack into the thing in order to make it relevant, and the ensuing risk you’d then logically be taking if these “mobile homes” are to be considered as vulnerable as other caravans. If it doesn’t contain anything worth wanting, then why take it? If it contains enough storage to make it worth using, someone else will want to blow it up.

My first thought as to its use is the potential for it to house a single type of crafting station, so you could exercise your primarily profession on the go. Then, some light storage for extra carrying capacity. Less than a mule can carry, since the poor thing is already pulling your cart with you on it. Can’t push it too hard. Maybe extra carrying capacity / speed if you manage to get two beasts of burden on there. Alternatively, you could give it extra storage space, have a window put on the side, and use it as a mobile shop to sell your wares!

I like the concept of having the wagon form a small camp around itself when you anchor it in place. Benefits could be more cooking supplies to do outdoor cooking with than you’d normally get with a random fire pit. Again, more storage for a greater variety of ingredients. A pan and a pot, a grate over the fire or a tripod to hang a pot from that you wouldn’t take with you adventuring on foot. A tent would be nice for aesthetics, though I don’t know if there are plans for beds to serve any purposes. Please clue me in if there are.

One way to avoid being too exposed is utilizing the current corruption system and applying it to the home caravan. Since it’s more than just a shipment, it’s literally someone’s home, I think a justification could be make for inflicting corruption on someone who destroys your home caravan. Random thieves aren’t able to break into your freehold, why should they be allowed to mess with your wagon? So there could be a workaround there.

I’m all in on this now and would love the chance to choose a roaming crafter / merchant lifestyle. They seriously need to add options like this if you can only have a freehold on one character…
  • Options
    StormCrow820StormCrow820 Member
    edited August 2022
    without putting a ton of thought into it, I'd expect "Caravans" to mostly just be "Trade" or "Transport" related. Like a traveling merchant going to the next city, or exporting 7000 lumber to X city to help construct Z building.
    I definitely think this idea of like a Traveling stash is interesting, I suppose it depends on the limitations of what you can carry.
    lets say it isn't a "Caravan" but rather just a personal Cart/mobile Stash or whatever. -where would you park it when you're done? does it logg off with you? would you need to deconstruct it or park it at a Caravantary (or whatever its called)? Do you leave it outside the dungeon/ is it vulnerable to passing travelers? can you put it in your pocket (kinda defeats the purpose)?
    Id say the First questions is actually whats the Carry Limit?
    and Second, is this a system that allows you to travel with more than your Carry Limit?
    and Third, how does this intertwine with the Corruption System

I have a feeling that Pirate Boats are probably going to have storage, so this question might get answered through that. But what's the Land Equivalent, and is this somehow abusable
  • Options
    There’s a draw for that lifestyle. I have no interest in settling down in any node for some time. I just prefer a bedroll to anything that may attract attention.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We had a similar thread last week, I think.
    We'll have to learn from the devs what the possibilities might be now that we have 20 Buffer Nodes.
    I don't think parking Caravans or tents will be possible in the 85 Nodes designated for player control. Seems too likely to interfere with space designate for Freeholds.

And, you know, gamers will be trying to create Caravan and tent cities.
  • Options
    MaiWaifuMaiWaifu Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Dygz wrote: »
    And, you know, gamers will be trying to create Caravan and tent cities.

This actually sounds pretty good to me.

You'll have a bunch of peasants unable to afford housing in the cities making slums just outside the city walls.
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited August 2022
    I feel like that's already possible to do as is without an RV or tent, as long as you don't expect to be a nomad and a master crafter/processor, because to craft and process you need high level stations which will probably only be found in freeholds and only available to citizens of Nodes that have them.

What I expect is that you can go to any Node and use its basic stations, you don't need to live there. If you want to have a mobile storage as in a Ship, like @StormCrow820 pointed out, it might be abusable so that's an issue. All in all, I don't see an issue with being able to set up temporary camps/tents in random places to get the rested buff and/or to be able to cook some food, but I think you're already able to have that lifestyle given that you don't expect to be able to do as much as people who are willing to settle down.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶