Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Weekly Sermons in a Religios Node

Imagine an influential preacher preaching in the cathedral of a religious node. This preacher can be elected by the governor or the people. So why should people join this sermon? Those who attend the sermon earn buffs on the subject chosen by the preacher. Gathering speed, damage against dragons, running speed, you name it. If the congregation does not like the preacher's sermon, they can change the preacher by voting. The buffs can increase in strength if the preacher delivers successful sermons for weeks in a row. Increasing the level of the religious building where the sermon is held can also be a factor that increases the power of the buffs.

What are your thoughts on this? How do you think this idea could be developed?
4jddaugd260w.png

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean... a Bishop might want to take some time each Saturday or Sunday to recap what's transpired that week from the point of view of their religion.
    People who only play on the weekend might be interested to listen.
    Same for people who have been away from the game for longer than a week.

How captivating the sermon is may depend on whether the Bishop only focuses on what their religion has accomplished or whether the sermon includes what the Monrchs and Mayors have been up to. Which mobs threatened the flock that week? And how did the flock prevail?
  • Options
    An NPC one or a Player one? Absolutely no to the Player one. I've no interest in listening to some random moron droning on about their dislikes.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What's that spell to Summon Nagash??
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    daveywavey wrote: »
    An NPC one or a Player one? Absolutely no to the Player one. I've no interest in listening to some random moron droning on about their dislikes.

I was about to say!! Living in LA, i hear and see those nutjobs with large yellow/black signs about the doomsday and other things they are against everyday. I'd rather not see all that in-game. :expressionless:

If this was an NPC, i'm okay with it. But DEF NOT an actual player. Those players would bring their real life opinions and thoughts into the game. It would turn toxic quick.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022

And yet, I feel like any NPC involved would get stale quickly. You'd have to have someone at Intrepid write a whole sermon for various different philosophies every week. It's a nice idea in theory, but it seems like it wouldn't hold up in practice.

If you want to give a religious-type buff, why not just have some form of "praying at the cathedral once a day/week" instead?
  • Options
    SongRune wrote: »

And yet, I feel like any NPC involved would get stale quickly. You'd have to have someone at Intrepid write a whole sermon for various different philosophies every week. It's a nice idea in theory, but it seems like it wouldn't hold up in practice.

If you want to give a religious-type buff, why not just have some form of "praying at the cathedral once a day/week" instead?

Yeah, leaving a small offering of some sort maybe, so it's not simply a freebie.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Perhaps some sort of Quick ceremony in a Temple which gives a buff similar to what you get from eating a good meal in a tavern? Just like higher quality tavern food gives better buffs, a more advanced Temple and Divine node Mayor might also increase the buff?
  • Options
    Richer players could perhaps commission a special ceremony for larger battle buffs ahead of a raid.

Thus if the raid fails there's also been a risk in the cost of the ceremony.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    This is a good example of player driven content. If a team of players is going to be writing and delivering sermons on a weekly basis, I'm happy to recruit a strike team to 'assert an alternate perspective'. >:)
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png