Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why Have Two Different PvP Systems for Land and Sea?

124»

Comments

• Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2022
    Iandriel wrote: »
    Before I begin, I just want to say, I don’t have a problem with no holds barred PvP on the open ocean. I enjoy games that have that quite a bit. I guess my only question is: Why the change? If the Corruption System was developed to disincentivize killing of low level players and people who are just gathering for professions on land, why not use that same system on the sea? Is there a particular reason this change was made? Again, I don’t have a problem with it, I’m just curious.

Mabey the issue is that corruption can't spread into the ocean. We don't know how it works, but we know that killing non combatants causes the player to turn into a corrupted monster. The players turn into the same as the corrupted monsters that are attacking civilization on behalf of the world. Perhaps that corruption only takes effect on land and were going to get an in game explanation as we play.

However, after a few minutes of thinking I can't come up with a plausible way that corruption only spreads on land. Particularly if I count that only non combatants cause it.
  • Options
    StreviStrevi Member
    edited September 2022
    "Why Have Two Different PvP Systems for Land and Sea?"

I see in wiki that there will be a land management system.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Resources
    Ideas like land management- and as you draw resources from your surrounding area- what type of effect does that have on the land; and then also how effectively can you draw those resources without having such a deleterious effect on the land, which might impact future resource gathering for some period of time: And it makes relevant the movement of these players who are collecting these goods from the environment, that they actually cannot always just do so in one particular area, as the land management begins to degrade. So it actually encourages movement across the world to discover new areas that might not be as perturbed as the ones you're coming from. It's a very interesting idea. It's something that we're going to be prototyping in Alpha 2 and getting feedback on and testing

How do you prevent players to fish too much?
    And bots to over harvest valuable resources until depletion?
    Maybe some are not even bots but need to produce gold to sell on 3rd party sites...

I think land resources will be scarce because greedy players, and those will complain that other players do not allow them to fish as much as they want in the Sea.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2022
    However, after a few minutes of thinking I can't come up with a plausible way that corruption only spreads on land. Particularly if I count that only non combatants cause it.
    Or why death penalties are half-normal in the Open Seas.
    Maybe it's the Goddess of Pirates and Chaos.

• Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Warth wrote: »
    We don't even know whether you get the "resources" in your inventory. Potentially they will go the AA route where you need to have ship storage to put the treasures and fish in, which you will lose upon destruction
    So...you drop no personal inventory resources as part of the death penalties for being flagged Combatant? That's also less risk.

And then Naval Caravans will still be a portion of resources dropped when the ship is destroyed? Or full loot?

You didn't really gain any inventory resource in AA while on the ocean. Mostly trade packs which were physically stored on the ship and lost completely upon destruction of the ship.

We don't know how it will be here is all i'm saying. Hopefully intrepid will give some insights soon
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Because Yes. Amazing change, High risk for High rewards at the sea, I'm really hyped to experience some carebear-free Open PvP in the oceans of Verra :D
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    You didn't really gain any inventory resource in AA while on the ocean. Mostly trade packs which were physically stored on the ship and lost completely upon destruction of the ship.

We don't know how it will be here is all i'm saying. Hopefully intrepid will give some insights soon
    I was talking about the resources already in your inventory.
    Though, also, Steven said that there are unique treasure-finding opportunities in the Open Seas - and unique NPCs. And with greater rewards comes "greater risk".
    So... seems like there will be stuff that drops.
    There are Naval Caravans. When those are destroyed, resource certificates will drop.

It's not high risk in the Open Seas; it's reduced risk. It's just higher incidence of PvP combat.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2022
    It's not high risk in the Open Seas; it's reduced risk. It's just higher incidence of PvP combat.

It is high risk. PvPers, same as PvErs - want to Win. No one likes dying it doesn't matter if it's pvp or pve just don't be stupid. more PvP = more chances of Dying, and dying is the RISK there are death penalties when you... die.... your nonsense is reaching astronomical levels and you should stop.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    It's not high risk. It's reduced risk. Higher incidence of PvP combat.
    It's half normal death penalties in the Open Seas. That is reduced risk.
  • Options
    It's not high risk. It's reduced risk. Higher incidence of PvP combat.
    It's half normal death penalties in the Open Seas. That is reduced risk.

If you're risking dying much more often, then it is not less. Initially the penalty is smaller but if death is a much more regular occurrence at sea as opposed to a green getting ganked 1 or 2 times, the risk and punishment will be worse. Corruption limits the amount of times you can be griefed. At sea there are no limits to how many times players can kill you.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Dying is not the risk - the death penalties are the risks.
  • Options
    Dying is not the risk - the death penalties are the risks.

acquired by dying.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    But, halved penalties...so... reduced risk.
  • Options

More occurrences, so more risk
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Not really because more occurences of PvP does not necessarily mean your deaths increase.
  • Options
    Not really because more occurences of PvP does not necessarily mean your deaths increase.

But the risk is there with each encounter. So there is more risk.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Dolyem wrote: »

Not necessarily. If I’m killed at sea while on a boat, where am I going to respawn? How can I get back to my boat? If I can’t get back to the boat quickly, I’m not going to be dying more often.

Depending on the answer - I may be dying less frequent than on land.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Dolyem wrote: »

Not necessarily. If I’m killed at sea while on a boat, where am I going to respawn? How can I get back to my boat? If I can’t get back to the boat quickly, I’m not going to be dying more often.

Depending on the answer - I may be dying less frequent than on land.

True, it all comes down to variables. But I would assume repairing a ship is similar to repairing a piece of gear, just requiring more time and materials. You die, you head to a harbor, get your ship up again and head out. Even if you could only do this roughly 3 or 4 times a day (which honestly would be a bad design if they want the seas to be populated) that would equal out to the typical green getting ganked 1 or 2 times with the corruption system.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    And, you might give it a rest after dying twice in a row, so... it's reduced risk to entice to you to PvP more often.
  • Options
    it's reduced risk to entice to you to PvP more often.

That I will agree with. Players are encouraged to fight by allowing less of a loss through the corruption system for doing so.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Well... death penalty system, since there is no Corruption on the Open Seas.