Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Suggestion] Open-World Group/Guild PvP Training

LloydLloyd Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited September 2022 in General Discussion
My guild and I were discussing PvP in our discord and we would like to host training sessions, RP training sessions, etc.

As corruption is a mechanic and experience debt is a thing, I was wondering if Intrepid would be willing to implement a few things to help facilitate it and to make the community come up with some interesting war games.

1) Create a "Non-lethal/Downed" interaction. Choose a player to interact with, select "non-lethal" which prompts the opposing player to accept/refuse (much like a duel). The players will be flagged for Non-lethal combat with each other and their Corruption status will stay green in combat. If either player's hitpoints reach zero, then they will enter a "downed" state which simulates death timers/resurrection/etc.

If a party leader enters Non-Lethal combat with another party leader, all players within their parties will be affected [up to 4 parties]. i.e.:
  • > Select Player > Select "Non-Lethal Combat"
  • Initiator Prompt: "You want to add [Player] and their party of [x amount] to Non-Lethal Combat?" Yes/No
  • Receiver Prompt: "[Player] and their party of [x amount] wishes to enter Non-Lethal Combat with you. Would you like to accept?" Yes/No
  • The issue here is figuring out how griefers can abuse this system. My thought process is you don't want people to be using this to avoid death penalties by becoming invincible to outside players. You also don't want players to enter Non-Lethal combat mode and then they have their friends gank you and kill you while your health is low.
  • So that's why I suggested there must be a condition to accept the Non-Lethal combat. There should be inherent risk in fighting in the open world. So when entering Non-Lethal combat, other players outside of Non-Lethal combat can still attack you, but if they kill a player who is in Non-Lethal Combat with another group, then they will still get regular Corruption and the player who was killed will still gain exp debt and lose materials based on the regular Corruption system interactions (whether they fought back or not before death). Whomever did most damage to the player-- the party in Non-Lethal combat, or the griefer--the system will decide whether the player is "downed" or killed.
2) Have player-crafted/store bought standards implemented into the game that players can create, set down, carry, emote, and move around with. This will allow players to be creative with roleplay, war games, etc. For example, creating a combat zone with 4 or more standards. Playing King of the Hill. Playing Capture the flag. Playing Domination. /wavestandard[2, 3, 4, 5] emotes. /mountstandard[2, 3, 4, 5] emotes.

Ability to Set the Standard to 3 modes:
  • - Player Only. Only the player who placed the Standard can move the standard. It will respawn back in player's inventory after designated time.
  • - Party/Non-Lethal Combat Only. Only players in the party or who are flagged in Non-Lethal Combat with each other are able to move the Standards.
  • - Everyone. Any player can move the standard once it's mounted/dropped on ground.
  • And each player only able to place [x] amount of standards to not do the coin abuse tactic that Steven is fond of.
3) Friendly/Open PvP via "Flag of Challenge". An option to create an opt-in zone of Friendly/Open PvP free of fear of exp debt and material loss by slamming down the Flag of Challenge. --Suggested by Athorith
    Basically creating different radius zones based on Small, Medium, Large, Grand, etc. allowing people to enter the zone and opt in for friendly PvP in the open world.
4) Allowing Duels to be available for groups/raids. --Suggested by Warth
    Moving down to more simple implementation just copying over the duel system and allowing it for more players. Which is a mix of option 1 and option 3.
o9kwckoxlmb8.pngCurrent Member of the Gray Sentinels.

Comments

• Ah very interesting. I could see this used to create player-created contests or "arenas". Maybe even underground brawling you can gamble on!!!
  • DizzDizz Member
    I like idea like this, features give more space and convince to pvp players to create their own party in stead of use guild wars to do that.

I really think it's a good thing to give enough tools to pvp player to prepare and hold party like the tournaments they held during classic wow beta test.
    A casual follower from TW.

↓Good youtube channel to learn things about creating games.↓
    Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv1DvRY5PyHHt3KN9ghunuw
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 2022
    There will be small arenas that within their small area it is a pvp zone. Those small arenas will be found near some of the towns.

L2 had it, black desert had it, tera online had it. With Steven having played L2 and running a guild (that must have ran some drills), I dont see why he'd ommit to create those arenas for people that want to practice.
  • WarthWarth Member
    edited August 2022
    Imo, all they need to do it a setting up a group/raid duel system, where entire raids or groups can duel each other.

This is easily implemented, completely optional and doesn't force them to make major changes to existing systems as OP would suggest
  • LloydLloyd Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Warth wrote: »
    Imo, all they need to do it a setting up a group/raid duel system, where entire raids or groups can duel each other.

This is easily implemented, completely optional and doesn't force them to make major changes to existing systems as OP would suggest

I've added this option to the main thread :)
  • Just do this in a designated area to avoid the exploits you mentions. Arenas will be around so use those.
    GJjUGHx.gif
    Dolyem wrote: »
    Just do this in a designated area to avoid the exploits you mentions. Arenas will be around so use those.

Practicing open world/node siege/castle siege PvP isn't the same as arenas. Also can't come up with fun war games without the standards/flags or Intrepid have to implement those games themselves and put in extra work.

Imagine practicing around your node to get an environmental advantage over attackers with set strategies.
  • Lloyd wrote: »
    Just do this in a designated area to avoid the exploits you mentions. Arenas will be around so use those.

Practicing open world/node siege/castle siege PvP isn't the same as arenas. Also can't come up with fun war games without the standards/flags or Intrepid have to implement those games themselves and put in extra work.

Imagine practicing around your node to get an environmental advantage over attackers with set strategies.

I mean the concept is cool sure, but if people can use a nonessential system to exploit I vote for it to not be a thing. Trial by fire is just as fun. If I had to implement it I would definitely not go with the invincible for the duration option. Let them practice with the risk of getting ganked.
    GJjUGHx.gif
    If I had to implement it I would definitely not go with the invincible for the duration option. Let them practice with the risk of getting ganked.

Yeah, I was only stating that it is a major thing to avoid when making a system like this. There could also be things like you can't duel/offer Non-Lethal combat close to dungeons and open world bosses for obvious reasons.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I dont think an mmo should develop fun pvp games for you and your groups. Not necessary.
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ARe you just after Duelling capability?
    akabear wrote: »
    ARe you just after Duelling capability?

No.