Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Low vs high population servers

Is there any advantage to be on a fully populated server?
Or will the low population servers offer a better experience?
September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!

Comments

• Options
    Unknown at this time. Although they have a lofty goal of having 8-10k population per server.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    That will be a hard one.. as the mob joins and leaves games at an alarming speed nowadays.. join, consume, leave.. so I imagine a little like NW experienced.. and there will be server merges a few months after start when the core remains..

Would be nice to see they start up systems for node development factor nodal community moves of something of the like that NW did.. NW move guilds I believe
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Being on a high population server is better.
    Server feels more alive. Easier to find groups to both group with and complete against.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    PlasticLemonsPlasticLemons Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We just won't know until we get into the world and see. Gameplay will without a doubt be better on higher pop servers since there will be more chances to get involved in conflicts, nodes should level easier, wars will happen more often, etc. Low pop servers could be fun still tho since Ashes will be a blast. Maybe low pop servers will be the "PvE" servers
  • Options
    We just won't know until we get into the world and see. Gameplay will without a doubt be better on higher pop servers since there will be more chances to get involved in conflicts, nodes should level easier, wars will happen more often, etc. Low pop servers could be fun still tho since Ashes will be a blast. Maybe low pop servers will be the "PvE" servers

Then players might ask for many low pop servers and oppose server merges?
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    It's very much likely that even ashes will be an awesome game alot of initial servers will have super low player count after some time. I guess they should prepare for this scenario
  • Options
    First off Intrepid needs to decide what average number of online players is low enough to make servers merge. I believe that an average of about 3~4 thousand people online during prime time is more than enough for a server not to be merged.

So, if low population servers have an average of 3 or 4 thousand during prime time, I feel like those servers will be safer in general regarding owPvP for both corrupted players and non-combatants. It'll probably be easier to dominate large zones in these servers if you have enough numbers and skill, which is fine, because on the other hand it'll be easier to be a successful small group/guild far away from the zergs.

I think that lower population servers won't have multiple Metropolises, not because they won't be able to level them up, but because the "upkeep" will probably be high, needing hundreds of players to keep each one alive on a weekly(?) basis. That's not an issue per se, but it might be a concern for some.

At the end of the day, like in most PvP MMOs, server population will affect gameplay and players with different playstyles will lean towards more lively or quieter servers.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶