Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Using Skills by Key Combination (Hotbars without SKILLS)

LenweCZLenweCZ Member
edited September 2022 in General Discussion
I think it would be quite interesting if instead of using hotbars to use skills we had to press some combination of keys. For example, some action keys that would express some skill by themselves, but in combination with, for example, a direction key or a jump key or a dash ability (which would be on a separate key, for example SHIFT or CTRL) would make their combination or another different skill. And hotbars would be used for consumables or other stuff. I don't want to remove them.
Or there can be some option to keybind hotbars with some key combination at least.

I think it's a really cool combat style where the player feels more the movements and attacks of his character. And I would like to see something like this.
But you decide, what you think about this concept of combat.

And also, English is my secondary language, so please excuse any minor mistakes in translation or grammar.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    LenweCZ wrote: »
    I think it would be quite interesting if instead of using hotbars to use skills we had to press some combination of keys. For example, some action keys that would express some skill by themselves, but in combination with, for example, a direction key or a jump key or a dash ability (which would be on a separate key, for example SHIFT or CTRL) would make their combination or another different skill. And hotbars would be used for consumables or other stuff.

I think it's a really cool combat style where the player feels more the movements and attacks of his character. And I would like to see something like this.

And also, English is my secondary language, so please excuse any minor mistakes in translation or grammar.
    Thanks.

You can probably set the keybinds to do this.

For controller users this is already the main way, given their limitations.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    We 100% need this, BDO did a great job at it. even shift mouse click and shift right click. Makes combat feel much better overall. Players definitely need full control over this with multiple button inputs.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I dont like it. It's just like bdos system.
  • Options
    MrPocketsMrPockets Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think this is a good optional control scheme for action combat. Dungeon Fighter Online uses this concept, since it is based on 2d arcade beat 'em ups. Players can either use manual inputs (ie: forward, down, attack), or they can just assign that skill to a hotkey.

I see no harm in allowing players to use these types of controls.
  • Options
    arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Maybe the fighter or certain augments could provide that.
    You could also turn a ranger with a fighter augment into something like this for example
  • Options
    i think having the option to have your hotkeys this way would be cool
    but i know you mean as an actual input system; the combat has to be specifically designed around it for the button combos to feel meaningful
    warframe did a combo system with their melee weapons but ended up simplifying it in the end since it was not worth the extra effort to execute the combo (during combat) in that game since it was designed with gun combat as the focus
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited September 2022

BDO system is amazing for key commands. That doesn't mean everyone needs to be using the same ones its simply having the option to set multiple keys for your skills. No one plays 1-0 for keys anyway or for most people.

It makes your key command for skills much faster which is needed especially for action combat. Every mmorpg lets you do this, just some are rough around the edges and some keys don't work well together like using W+F
  • Options
    I did like BDO's combat.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Options
    Dummo wrote: »
    I did like BDO's combat.

I had a issues with a lot of it, though there was a lot of good with it as well.

Good - Fluidity between attacks and movement, key bindings, impact of skills which also felt unique, mobility

Bad - high learning curve and feels clunky without understanding the class, gameplay around super armour and Iframe spam, Hard i frame spam made it like fighting the wind, broken balance, giant aoes everywhere, skill cds extremely short, bait grab the entire fight

Not to get too into BDO but i always have to recognize the good and bad of it.
  • Options
    There were some bad things to it, I agree.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Mag7spy wrote: »

BDO system is amazing for key commands. That doesn't mean everyone needs to be using the same ones its simply having the option to set multiple keys for your skills. No one plays 1-0 for keys anyway or for most people.

It makes your key command for skills much faster which is needed especially for action combat. Every mmorpg lets you do this, just some are rough around the edges and some keys don't work well together like using W+F

I am not using 1-0. I tend to use keys close to WSAD and some extras on my mouse.
    Bdo doesnt have too many skills compared to other mmos with individual skill cooldown, especially in PvP. You only use a few in BDOs pvp.
    Combination keys work well just because of the above factfact.

They can also be found in singleplayer games, which also dont have ability hotbars most of the time.
    Combination keys are also found in fighting games. And let's be honest.... BDOs combat feels more like Tekken than an mmorpg.

I dont like them for the above reasons and you can bet that they wont be in AoC.
  • Options

I am not using 1-0. I tend to use keys close to WSAD and some extras on my mouse.
    Bdo doesnt have too many skills compared to other mmos with individual skill cooldown, especially in PvP. You only use a few in BDOs pvp.
    Combination keys work well just because of the above factfact.

They can also be found in singleplayer games, which also dont have ability hotbars most of the time.
    Combination keys are also found in fighting games. And let's be honest.... BDOs combat feels more like Tekken than an mmorpg.

I dont like them for the above reasons and you can bet that they wont be in AoC.

So you are against allowing people setting shit+W, Shift+F Shift +left button as keys? If you are against full customization I'd have to ask why, even if it isn't your preference that would be effective hugely limiting what keys people can use based on what their own preference is.

What keys do you use if you don't use 1-0?
  • Options
    Im not against customization. For all I care you can go ahead and set a lv1 skill to Shft+W+%+Rctrl.
    Im just saying combat shouldnt be made with key combos as a philosophy.
  • Options
    Im not against customization. For all I care you can go ahead and set a lv1 skill to Shft+W+%+Rctrl.
    Im just saying combat shouldnt be made with key combos as a philosophy.

Ahh ya that is fine, default should be what default is normally being the 1-0. I just want adjusted key buttons as in some mmorpgs they don't do dual inputs very well with Shift+ other keys. Same way people use mmorpg mouses with multiple buttons which those of course should work with keybinds as well.

This stuff is pretty easy to do in unreal engine 5 anyway.
  • Options
    Wont happen makes the skill ceiling to high for standard players so you'll loose alot of population in that regards especialy in a game where there PvP to high of a skill ceiling tends to cause a death of games when it comes to pvp games
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »
    Wont happen makes the skill ceiling to high for standard players so you'll loose alot of population in that regards especialy in a game where there PvP to high of a skill ceiling tends to cause a death of games when it comes to pvp games

What makes the skill ceiling to high where you can customize your buttons o.O. Every mmorpg has that...Some just do it better than others with the amount of commands you can set with dual buttons.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Well let's get back on topic ye?
    Remove hotbars for key combinations?
    No thanks. This isnt a singleplayer game where you just mash buttons. Mmos need hotbars.

The topic isnt about customization.
  • Options
    No thanks. This isnt a singleplayer game where you just mash buttons. Mmos need hotbars.

I changed it a little to avoid some misunderstandings.
  • Options
    LenweCZ wrote: »
    I think it would be quite interesting if instead of using hotbars to use skills we had to press some combination of keys. For example, some action keys that would express some skill by themselves, but in combination with, for example, a direction key or a jump key or a dash ability (which would be on a separate key, for example SHIFT or CTRL) would make their combination or another different skill. And hotbars would be used for consumables or other stuff. I don't want to remove them.
    Or there can be some option to keybind hotbars with some key combination at least.

Thanks.

Maybe for a dash ability. Idk, there might be some other things I'm not thinking about.

I will say though that the bard... ooooo so much potential for the bard using a system like this. Like the songs you play in orcarina of time or windwaker. Or attacks that are done in a certain cadence(i think this is the right word, idk music), a timing that makes the different skills musical notes hit just right. Having meta skills which are just longer or more complex songs comprised of utilizing those basic musical note skills.

So much that can be done on the bard that imo it would really put to shame anything I can imagine being done for the other classes.
    5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options

imo you are right here.

If people want to use hotkey combinations (which may be freely bound) to cast spells, then they should be able to that. However, they shouldnt take away Hotbars for those that want to use them.

Removing the option to use hotbars is not a good idea.
    Restricting the option of using key combination isnt helpful either.

Give the option to do either and let the player decide on how they want to play. Hell, if they want to wire up a couple of bananas and input their skills through them, then let them play on bananas.
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    Removing the option to use hotbars is not a good idea.
    Restricting the option of using key combination isnt helpful either.

Yeah, I think so too and that's why I'm not even saying any of these statements.
  • Options
    It's good in something but it need's upgrades... For example in bdo was in my opinion bad, that u had to learn these combinations and I had problem to remember it (like what combination is for what skill) so for me it would be better maybe if u can set that key combination to skills at your wish for example normally shift + left click is skill A but u can change it to skill B or C or whatever u want... (In bdo was bad that some skills on these combinations were not so useful so it would be better if u could change it)
    But anyway I thing it's good thing for combat style but it needs changes in my opinion :-)
  • Options
    I would love this mechanic. For me, this completely changes my perception of in-game combat to be more immersive. They should add this as an optional feature to change in the settings.
  • Options
    If I wanted BDO's combat I'd play BDO or Tekken, since it's basically the same thing.

Can you keybind it for yourself to function that way? Sure, knock yourself out! I truly hope the customization options are that deep.

But integrating the whole system that BDO has? Nah thanks.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Asgerr wrote: »
    If I wanted BDO's combat I'd play BDO or Tekken, since it's basically the same thing.

Can you keybind it for yourself to function that way? Sure, knock yourself out! I truly hope the customization options are that deep.

I dont see why you would be trying to tell people to use 1-0 for combat in a game in 2022....

People customizing their own keys has 0 effect on you if you want to play 1-0 and not be competitive.
  • Options
    Flemel wrote: »

Thanks.

Going to be honest. Not trying to be an ass but that is some tab target ish that you suggested. Why would players who want to play more so in the action combat side want to be mashing a combination of keys while aiming their mouse when the tab people can just have auto aim and focus on button combination?
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I dont see why you would be trying to tell people to use 1-0 for combat in a game in 2022....

People customizing their own keys has 0 effect on you if you want to play 1-0 and not be competitive.

Bear in mind that many player have the 'MMO Mouse' which has all their hotkeys as buttons on the side.

They're playing it even easier than Keybind/Controller people in the simplest sense, since they normally only use the WASD movement. I don't think most HotBar MMOs even require them to press more than one button at a time ever since many of them don't have any directional inputs to go with things.

So you could, for example, press one of your many side-buttons with your thumb while targeting with the same mouse and just release, all onehanded, if your character didn't need to move.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    LordBlank wrote: »
    Flemel wrote: »

Thanks.

Going to be honest. Not trying to be an ass but that is some tab target ish that you suggested. Why would players who want to play more so in the action combat side want to be mashing a combination of keys while aiming their mouse when the tab people can just have auto aim and focus on button combination?

Though BDO did this well this isn't really a action / tab thing. Its simply adjusting key commands so its easier to use by memory and quickly if you use skills on keyboard.

Ie Uusing skills with Q-E-F-R (or those keys plus holding shift or those keys and left mouse click or right mouse click at the same time)

Which it gives you 16 combinations with very minimal hand movement if you have that option for Base, shift, LMB, RMB clicks.
  • Options
    Azherae wrote: »

Bear in mind that many player have the 'MMO Mouse' which has all their hotkeys as buttons on the side.

They're playing it even easier than Keybind/Controller people in the simplest sense, since they normally only use the WASD movement. I don't think most HotBar MMOs even require them to press more than one button at a time ever since many of them don't have any directional inputs to go with things.

So you could, for example, press one of your many side-buttons with your thumb while targeting with the same mouse and just release, all onehanded, if your character didn't need to move.

Ya I'm aware of that, that is why its silly to be against players own choice of customization. If someone has a mmo mouse they shouldn't be against someone wanting to customizes their own keyboard for commands. As they are already customizing it themselves to begin with.
  • Options
    I hope movement becomes a bit more nuanced, using WASD modifiers and such.
    Button combos and even Mouse Movement combos sound nice.