This is why the Open Seas and Caravan's are such great and important systems

The open seas and caravan systems are a great tool for PVP. People enjoy engaging in PVP even without reward but.. when you are fighting over resources it raises the stakes. It gives greater meaning to whether you live or die. It will also give more meaning to finding friends, joining guilds, building your character to be formidable in the most organic way possible. These types of systems are lost in games like WoW which is just an instanced solo progression game.

Comments

• BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited September 2022
    I'm not sure if you are aware, but Ashes has PvP enabled everywhere, there are almost no safe zones. With that said, PvP is part of Verra, nowhere is safe and you might need to fight for resources everywhere, so nothing different or especial about the open sea, except for the "gate" of ships or aquatic mounts.

In my opinion, Caravans might need to be balanced because they need to be enticing enough for people to do them, organically (more efficient/faster/worth than moving resources by mules or your own inventory) or artificially (you simply can't move some items, "big" items, etc. in your inventory/mule), Alpha 2 will test that.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • BaSkA13 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you are aware, but Ashes has PvP enabled everywhere, there are almost no safe zones. With that said, PvP is part of Verra, nowhere is safe and you might need to fight for resources everywhere, so nothing different or especial about the open sea, except for the "gate" of ships or aquatic mounts.

In my opinion, Caravans might need to be balanced because they need to be enticing enough for people to do them, organically (more efficient/faster/worth than moving resources by mules or your own inventory) or artificially (you simply can't move some items, "big" items, etc. in your inventory/mule), Alpha 2 will test that.

PvP may be enabled nearly everywhere... but nearly everywhere you are subject to heavy penalties for engaging in it.
  • PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Okilian wrote: »
    BaSkA13 wrote: »

PvP may be enabled nearly everywhere... but nearly everywhere you are subject to heavy penalties for engaging in it.

This is blatently wrong. You are never punished for engaging in pvp. You are currupted for killing someone who doesnt fight back.
  • Okilian wrote: »
    The open seas and caravan systems are a great tool for PVP. People enjoy engaging in PVP even without reward but.. when you are fighting over resources it raises the stakes. It gives greater meaning to whether you live or die. It will also give more meaning to finding friends, joining guilds, building your character to be formidable in the most organic way possible. These types of systems are lost in games like WoW which is just an instanced solo progression game.
    But new players have to do PvE quests a few months until they level up to participate in these events.
    This is bad.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • BaSkA13 wrote: »

You mean not being able to move big items in inventory is an artificial restriction?
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Strevi wrote: »
    But new players have to do PvE quests a few months until they level up to participate in these events.
    This is bad.

Well, I think it's an overall game experience. I think progression is important
    Strevi wrote: »
    This is bad.

You can do anything you want in ashes at any level. Will you live very long or be successful? Probably not. But you do you fam.

This is blatently wrong. You are never punished for engaging in pvp. You are currupted for killing someone who doesnt fight back.

Thanks for the correction, I had to go read more about how the corruption system works.

Thanks for the correction, I had to go read more about how the corruption system works.

Why, thank you for not writing me off as being hostile.
  • Strevi wrote: »
    This is bad.

Do you mean in WoW or in Ashes?

Just to be a pain, you're corrupted for killing a non-combatant who doesn't fight back. If a combatant doesn't fight back, you won't gain corruption when killing them.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
    edited September 2022
    CROW3 wrote: »
    This is bad.

Do you mean in WoW or in Ashes?

Just to be a pain, you're corrupted for killing a non-combatant who doesn't fight back. If a combatant doesn't fight back, you won't gain corruption when killing them.

Crow3 always has to come around and rub it in my face that he's better than me.

Why, thank you for not writing me off as being hostile.

yeah, I didn't realize that you don't get corrupted if the player fights back. I thought you always got corruption when you initiate the fight.
  • Crow3 always has to come around and rub it in my face that he's better than me.

This perk was included in my Alpha One pack. :smirk:

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
    I mean look at that colored text.... ill never be that cool
  • I mean look at that colored text.... ill never be that cool

I'm always here to equip you - it's the crafter in me.

Here's the BBCode color cheat sheet: https://absitomen.com/index.php?topic=331.0
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png

Here's the BBCode color cheat sheet: https://absitomen.com/index.php?topic=331.0

He's such a great guy.

Crow3 idk where you're ending up in ashes. Idk where im headed in ashes. But you're always allowed in my party
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited September 2022
    Aww... thanks, brother. :smiley:
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited September 2022
    You mean not being able to move big items in inventory is an artificial restriction?

I thought the word "artificial" described what I had in mind in a more lucid way, I'm sorry, let me rephrase: they might need to add unusual restrictions (like item size). Unusual because I'd say 90%+ of the games I've ever played had no restriction to item size, only inventory space and/or weight.

Cheers
    yeah, I didn't realize that you don't get corrupted if the player fights back. I thought you always got corruption when you initiate the fight.

That's why I think they shouldn't remove corruption from the ocean xDDD I'm joking boys, I'm already looking forward to them removing corruption from many more places, now that breaking logic, promises or lore isn't a problem anymore xDD joking again all right I'll stop
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • DolyemDolyem Member
    edited September 2022

Hehehe, PvP go brrrrrttttt
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • WarthWarth Member
    edited September 2022
    Lore was already broken.

Logic wasn't there either, considering that other things didn't follow the corruption logic either. Caravans for example. If Caravans were subject to corruption and afterwards turn it into the current system, then the reactions by some would be exactly the same.

Not sure about promises, but it certainly goes against the answers given to Dygz back in the interview.

@BaSkA13
  • Warth wrote: »
    Lore was already broken.

Logic wasn't there either, considering that other things didn't follow the corruption logic either. Caravans for example. If Caravans were subject to corruption and afterwards turn it into the current system, then the reactions by some would be exactly the same.

Not sure about promises, but it certainly goes against the answers given to Dygz back in the interview.
    The wiki states

Corruption in Ashes of Creation refers to:

Player corruption gained through the PvP flagging system.[2]
    The negative aspect of The Essence, spread by The Ancients during the Apocalypse (Lore).[3][4]

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Corruption

I see this as a disambiguation when I search things on Wikipedia.
    I understand that there are two different things.
    The corruption as a lore and the corruption as a tool for PvP.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes... also No.
    There is a bit of overlap.