Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

In-game Voice Chat

I know there is system in place for in game voice. But, my question is that are there going be different level of volumes. Like for example: Yelling, talking, and whispering by a press of different buttons.

Yelling is for on the boats or you got to talk at long distance. Talking is normal voice volume like if you walking about town or out at the field. Whispering is for in buildings or at busy cities and you don't drown everyone out. Or say something that you don't want everyone to know.

It would be cool if there is system like this.

Comments

• Options
    I personally hope that there's no nearby/local VOIP, only in groups/raids. A local/nearby text chat should be enough.

So when you really need to communicate with your group, VOIP will be available. Otherwise, you can use the text chat or Discord.

I've never played an MMORPG with VOIP, but I've played plenty of other games with VOIP and IMO it's usually unnecessary.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    lol. Yeah put it in. Add a max decibal cap and diminished peak/ slightly amplified troughs and the whisper/say/yell modifiers that change range and volume.
    Give yell a limit. 5 seconds per 40 seconds. Give whisper a coded range; like 4 yards with 0 sound past that limit. Give say a coded range; like 45 yards or whatever. Sound can travel better in 1 direction in a cone with a narrow cone for whisper, 120 degree cone for say, and 210 degree cone for yell.
    Have options to modify sound level for whisper/say/yell/All and one's own microphone.
  • Options
    Maybe they add a text to speech, WITH YELL OPTION. During storms.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    I don't really want to hear anyone else outside my group. I've no interest in anything they have to say.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    I don't really want to hear anyone else outside my group. I've no interest in anything they have to say.
    There should be options to turn off whatever you don't want to hear. Others should also be able to inspect your voice settings, so as not to waste their time communicating via VoIP if you're unable to hear them.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2022
    The current plan is to have VoIP for group, raid and guild chat, as well as tavern chat (which will be priximity based, presumably).

Nothing else is confirmed, but they are considering having proximity voice chat for some rooms in dungeons, points of interest in the world map, and the marketplace. These last three are just in the consideration phase though, and not set in stone as yet.

As to anything not above, expect it to not be a thing.
  • Options
    I feel that in the markets it shouldd be fun but as for yelling better not I kinda imagine it would be no so fun :cold_sweat:
  • Options
    kolramf4vfus.png
    ^just for reference

I think what they have in mind is perfectly fine.

What I personally want is a little different. I want open-world voip that is by default muted. When someone is attempting to speak around you, a small chat bubble appears over their head and you can either selectively toggle mute per player or as a whole. Would be fun for the RP. But text chat does it just fine.
  • Options

no shit
  • Options
    hleV wrote: »
    There should be options to turn off whatever you don't want to hear. Others should also be able to inspect your voice settings, so as not to waste their time communicating via VoIP if you're unable to hear them.

I think a tiny bit of audible noise no matter what would be just perfect. Really give the sense that one is in a world with other people, ya know?
  • Options
    I think we need voice chat enabled by distance. Why? because pvp is a major factor in this game, and discussing all those things in chat would be slow.
    Maybe you get harassed, and instead of killing you, you can reach an agreement, like Ill give you 10 certs and you leave me alone for 2 hours, things like that.
    Plus not having that in writing is better because creates more drama. You can say someone lied, but don't have proof!
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2022
    Alacrite wrote: »
    kolramf4vfus.png
    ^just for reference

I think what they have in mind is perfectly fine.

What I personally want is a little different. I want open-world voip that is by default muted. When someone is attempting to speak around you, a small chat bubble appears over their head and you can either selectively toggle mute per player or as a whole. Would be fun for the RP. But text chat does it just fine.

I sortof like this idea, but I think that I don't actually like it in the end. The reason is people. I think this is the perfect solution to the "Proximity VOIP" problem, and I think it could result in some good interactions between players. My personal problem with it, however, is that I also expect to, slightly too frequently, un-mute someone and find they're a toxic asshole, which is jarring to say the least. Keeping that sort of thing in text doesn't get rid of the problem but it does make it a bit less jarring than "suddenly having someone shouting racist homophobic shit in your ears, while you're otherwise immersed in the world of Verra", or otherwise being so out of phase with your experience and immersion that it has the same effect.

I'd love to think that this type of interaction (including the less severe, but still annoying varieties) would be so rare, as a whole, that I wouldn't need to expect it, but one only has to look around these forums of late to realize that won't be the case.

I'm on board for what they've planned in that image, but I'm not sure I can support adding open-world voice chat, even in the form you describe. If I find someone I'd like to actually talk to, I'll just party up.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    As long as it doesn't force me to download a third party app or software for voice-chat i'm here for it. I despise games that forces you to communicate throughout third party platforms like Discord.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Instead of a yell option, just put a game volume attenuation control in. The game sounds will lower while someone is talking. Add a slider to customize how much dampening you want.

A "yell" option just means someone else can decide if I can hear them. I want the option to not listen if I like.
  • Options
    SongRune wrote: »
    Keeping that sort of thing in text doesn't get rid of the problem but it does make it a bit less jarring.

Totally agree. If Intrepid really succeeds with curating the game play experience with a heavy amount of customer service and active GMs, maybe one day we could see a potential in extending voip. I'm happy with how it is
  • Options
    SapiverenusSapiverenus Member
    edited September 2022
    This topic is pretty important imo.

@SongRune

Instead of unmuting if you had to target them and hold ` and scroll wheel up or down or hit some other plus minus hotkeys; or right click and click-hold on the audio level then move it up or down; or whatever;
    it wouldn't be jarring.

• Options
    This topic is pretty important imo.

@SongRune

Instead of unmuting if you had to target them and hold ` and scroll wheel up or down or hit some other plus minus hotkeys; or right click and click-hold on the audio level then move it up or down; or whatever;
    it wouldn't be jarring.

Nope. Absolutely still jarring. It's the content, not the volume. That's just extra steps.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    @SongRune
    But the volume would be lower and you can keep them at 1% thereafter (barely audible and not discernible). If for some reason it's very discernible then maybe at 1% (just 1%) the sound quality is so low it mostly isn't.
    "Racism" and every other tribalism is in fantasy settings all the time lol.
    There's clearly more of an impact of going from 0% to 100% though.

And you can PK
  • Options
    "Thereafter".
  • Options
    Yes deal with it ffs. Bring it up to 5% and see what whisps through.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Kill them if it matters that much to you. Group up. Whatever. It's a game you have options.
  • Options
    Anyone play Fallout 76 on launch? The in game VoIP was turned on by default. I load into the game in the vault about to make way out and some kid is yelling at his mom. I thought it was an NPC with a starting quest, so I looked around for it, then heard it yell something about bagel bites. It was confusing and hilarious.

Local VoIP can be cool, but most people will just turn it off. I will. Not because I don't want to talk to other players. I just don't want to hear them arguing with their so, parents, cat, ect. If I couldn't turn it off I wouldn't play the game, or I'd just mute the game and listen to music. Too many turds will make Local VoIP stink so it's not worth the effort to put it in the game IMO.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Volgaris wrote: »
    Anyone play Fallout 76 on launch? The in game VoIP was turned on by default. I load into the game in the vault about to make way out and some kid is yelling at his mom. I thought it was an NPC with a starting quest, so I looked around for it, then heard it yell something about bagel bites. It was confusing and hilarious.

Local VoIP can be cool, but most people will just turn it off. I will. Not because I don't want to talk to other players. I just don't want to hear them arguing with their so, parents, cat, ect. If I couldn't turn it off I wouldn't play the game, or I'd just mute the game and listen to music. Too many turds will make Local VoIP stink so it's not worth the effort to put it in the game IMO.

Yup. And as mentioned before. The people you do want to listen too you'll party up with.
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png