Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Discuss: Choice and Building in Nodes

DolyemDolyem Member
edited September 2022 in General Discussion
So in another discussion about the validity of Auction Houses in games and whether or not they are necessary, it led me to look them up in ashes and found that there are several types of Auction Houses you can build.

"Auction house locations

Auction houses accompany unique node buildings in Economic nodes.[1]

-Markets in Village level economic nodes have auction houses that allow raw resources and processed goods to be posted.[1]
-Exchanges in Town nodes have expanded auction houses that allow all goods/items to be posted.[1]
-Economic nodes that have reached the metropolis stage unlock the linked economy superpower.[1]
-Up to two economic metropolises may be linked in this manner.[3]
-Metropolis level economic nodes enable worldwide sale prices for auction houses across Verra.[1]
-Items listed in one linked economic node can be bid on from any other linked economic node.[1]
-Linked economies also connect an economic metropolis and its vassal economic nodes.[10][1]
"

This got me thinking.... Is there really going to be meaningful choices regarding structures of purpose to build in nodes? Or will it simply be the illusion of choice, and more like a list of buildings set as a goal to build for each node type?

What I mean by this is an Economic node going to have other meaningful choices to build if they decide not to have an auction house?
Will a Military node be able to ignore bounty hunting progression buildings to choose a different sort of build relating to military?
Will Scientific Nodes have to choose which types of research buildings they build at the cost of not having another type?
I would hope Religious Nodes have to make meaningful decisions based on different temples to different gods are built and limiting them.

My concern is that once you pick a node type, its just a matter of how much time you take to build it and the only limit is your nodes level as to what you can build, I hope there are still meaningful choices and sacrifices for building even at the level of a metropolis, and not simply unlocking everything that node type has to offer at max node level.
Edit: I also hope that there are plenty of options for building choices and not just obvious ones
GJjUGHx.gif

Comments

• Options
    Dolyem wrote: »
    My concern is that once you pick a node type, its just a matter of how much time you take to build it...
    What if you change your mind and you want to pick another node type?
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    edited September 2022
    Strevi wrote: »
    My concern is that once you pick a node type, its just a matter of how much time you take to build it...
    What if you change your mind and you want to pick another node type?

You would have to move to that node type and abandon your current node.

Edit: Node locations and their types are static and do not change.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    I'd expect something similar to the guild size/buffs situation. Do you want to have a special building in your node or do you want another apartment building to have more citizens that can bring more taxes. And I'd expect the location of the node would also influence the potential choices. What if there's a very valuable resource in your node's ZOI and you need some form of crafting/processing building in your node to maximize your citizen's profits from that resource (and to bring more taxes to the node through the use of the building), but you only have space for 2 buildings and a strong guild has already said they want to be citizens of your node so you gonna want to get the apartment building for them.

This is in the context of lvl3 nodes of course. At higher stages I really dunno if there'd be any kind of meaningful choice between the special buildings and whatever else you could choose. But we barely have any info on the topic so it's hard to say either way.
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    edited September 2022
    NiKr wrote: »
    I'd expect something similar to the guild size/buffs situation. Do you want to have a special building in your node or do you want another apartment building to have more citizens that can bring more taxes. And I'd expect the location of the node would also influence the potential choices. What if there's a very valuable resource in your node's ZOI and you need some form of crafting/processing building in your node to maximize your citizen's profits from that resource (and to bring more taxes to the node through the use of the building), but you only have space for 2 buildings and a strong guild has already said they want to be citizens of your node so you gonna want to get the apartment building for them.

This is in the context of lvl3 nodes of course. At higher stages I really dunno if there'd be any kind of meaningful choice between the special buildings and whatever else you could choose. But we barely have any info on the topic so it's hard to say either way.

Yea I just wanted to bring the topic to attention so it can be acknowledged by the devs. It would be a shame to see every high level node be basically the same loadout with the same buildings. It would be beneficial to have the possibility of different features at different nodes even if they are the same type. Gives even more reason for caravans and just player movement in general across the map
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited September 2022
    So in another discussion about the validity of Auction Houses in games and whether or not they are necessary, it led me to look them up in ashes and found that there are several types of Auction Houses you can build.

"Auction house locations

-Markets in Village level economic nodes have auction houses that allow raw resources and processed goods to be posted.[1]
    -Exchanges in Town nodes have expanded auction houses that allow all goods/items to be posted.[1]
    -Economic nodes that have reached the metropolis stage unlock the linked economy superpower.[1]
    -Metropolis level economic nodes enable worldwide sale prices for auction houses across Verra.[1]
    -Items listed in one linked economic node can be bid on from any other linked economic node.[1]
    -Linked economies also connect an economic metropolis and its vassal economic nodes.[10][1]
    "

This got me thinking.... Is there really going to be meaningful choices regarding structures of purpose to build in nodes? Or will it simply be the illusion of choice, and more like a list of buildings set as a goal to build for each node type?

What I mean by this is an Economic node going to have other meaningful choices to build if they decide not to have an auction house?
    Will a Military node be able to ignore bounty hunting progression buildings to choose a different sort of build relating to military?
    Will Scientific Nodes have to choose which types of research buildings they build at the cost of not having another type?
    I would hope Religious Nodes have to make meaningful decisions based on different temples to different gods are built and limiting them.

My concern is that once you pick a node type, its just a matter of how much time you take to build it and the only limit is your nodes level as to what you can build, I hope there are still meaningful choices and sacrifices for building even at the level of a metropolis, and not simply unlocking everything that node type has to offer at max node level.
    Edit: I also hope that there are plenty of options for building choices and not just obvious ones

I think you misunderstood what was written there. The auction house in an econ node isn't specficially built. Its part of the features the econ node unique building opens up. For more on that read " Know your Nodes: Economic"

Economy Nodes aren't limited to economy type buildings. Science Nodes aren't limited to Science type buildings
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »

"Auction house locations

"

I think you misunderstood what was written there. The auction house in an econ node isn't specficially built. Its part of the features the econ node unique building opens up. For more on that read " Know your Nodes: Economic"

Economy Nodes aren't limited to economy type buildings. Science Nodes aren't limited to Science type buildings

So Node specific buildings are locked in while having access to builds available across the board? Thats disappointing. I was hoping for node type building options.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    There might be some types that are restricted to type, we don't know. But some certainly are cross type
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    There might be some types that are restricted to type, we don't know. But some certainly are cross type

Well I assumed that. I cant seem to figure out if there is just one node type unique building that upgrades at each stage or several that unlock and need to be built
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    I get what you mean to ask here completely. We need to know from the team if we are going to get more building options than we can place. Or if there are a set amount of buildings that can be built, and the choice is just which order and location they can be built in.

Honestly this has the risk of following the footsteps of new world and their " choose a crafting bench to upgrade" system. Which I didn't very much like as it just caused problems early game and had no real relevance as the game aged.
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    I get what you mean to ask here completely. We need to know from the team if we are going to get more building options than we can place. Or if there are a set amount of buildings that can be built, and the choice is just which order and location they can be built in.

Honestly this has the risk of following the footsteps of new world and their " choose a crafting bench to upgrade" system. Which I didn't very much like as it just caused problems early game and had no real relevance as the game aged.

Pretty much exactly this. I will say the main disadvantage in regards to the new world system was that it was also faction based. Having variety in stations and buildings can be beneficial but the faction stuff made it fall apart imo.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I believe that the mayor of nodes will have choices about which buildings to build and that the size of the node will be insufficient to build all possible buildings, so choices will have to be made.

From the wiki:
    Node buildings
    Academy
    Alchemist
    Apartments
    Armory
    Auction house
    Barracks
    Blacksmiths
    Caravanserai
    City hall
    College
    Emporium
    Exchange
    Galleria
    Guild halls
    Inns
    Library
    Lumber yards
    Marketplaces
    Markets
    Reliquary
    Royal stables
    Scholar's academy
    Static housing
    Taverns
    Temples
    Thieves' guild
    Trader's company
    University
    Warehouses
    Constructible node buildings

Alpha-1 mayoral node building user interface.[14]
    Alpha-1 node building construction early preview.[15]
    Node governments decide the location and types of constructible node buildings to be constructed within sectors of a node.[16][17][18]

Apartments
    Marketplaces
    Royal stables
    These are buildings that the mayor has agency over determining whether or not they should be a constructed project. Constructible buildings can be selected at open plots that are gained as the node advances. If they elect to begin construction of one of these types of buildings- one of which is the marketplace- it'll grant certain trade benefits as well as some stalls that the citizens may participate in.[19] – Steven Sharif

The government decides how to specialize their node. Once they choose certain things they won't be able to choose other things.[16]

Node buildings live within a "tech tree" based on the stage of the node. Each stage offers stronger services to the node but must satisfy prerequisites for the building construction.[20]
    Different governments may change the buildings within a node.[16]
    And there could be regime change... If somebody doesn't like the fact that a market was built and they want to re-elect a new government next cycle, they can do so... and that market could be destroyed and a new building take its place.[16]
  • Options
    I like this. Could always break a building down and take another route of built structures, I suppose.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif