Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Request for Ranger Showcase Stream

MayhemMayhem Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
I'd like to see how the abilities/weapon attacks function between tab and action. Like be clear on ''this is how this ability works in tab mode, now if i switch to action mode this is how it works in action. (if implemented)

Maybe talk a little bit about the possible benefits of action over tab (i know hard cc is supposed to be action) but if there is more like increased range/damage or such. (possibly aiming your ranged weapon attacks/projectile abilities for more risk/reward)

Also what direction you are going with action combat at the moment (some streams back it was mentioned the abilities might change from tab to action or be completely separate)

Comments

• Options
    I want to know if you can kite and attacking people in tab without camera facing them and running for sprint. Going to be very curious how things go out, though I'm hoping for more action side as skill based gameplay is always better.
  • Options
    I think Steven mentioned covering the Ranger in September in the last livestream.

https://youtu.be/4XLJelgfO3g
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Ranger Down !!!

(I had to get that out of my system... carry on)
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited September 2022
    @CROW3 is right.

It’s being planned for the September Livestream.

I wouldn’t set your expectations high on a deep dive of tab target versus action combat ... the game is still in Alpha.
  • Options
    He knows the ranger showcase is coming up, he's requesting this to be in it.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    For sure, please @StevenSharif trow us a bone and make a good "show and tell" for this livestream 🙏 with a lot of tell on what you are specifically doing during the gameplay, the attacks between tab and action, the skills, maybe toss in some other melee weapons and show the ranger using them as well with his skills, and don't worry about making a long video
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Mayhem wrote: »
    I'd like to see how the abilities/weapon attacks function between tab and action. Like be clear on ''this is how this ability works in tab mode, now if i switch to action mode this is how it works in action. (if implemented)

Maybe talk a little bit about the possible benefits of action over tab (i know hard cc is supposed to be action) but if there is more like increased range/damage or such. (possibly aiming your ranged weapon attacks/projectile abilities for more risk/reward)

Also what direction you are going with action combat at the moment (some streams back it was mentioned the abilities might change from tab to action or be completely separate)

100% absolutely this

Learn from the melee showcase mistake and make sure to clearly show and tell the combat.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    Hm... I think three things up front.

1. What's the direction for bow combat: action (draw and fire ala ESO/Skyrim) or tab (ala WoW and NWO)?
    2. What planned unique utility skills will Rangers have that contribute to a group (in both PvE and PvP)?
    3. Rangers tend to be the most adept in wilderness settings, what are the plans for anything particularly interesting for environmental interactions (e.g. tracking, camouflage, etc)?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    bumping this post to boost the chances on Steven reading it 👀
    img]
  • Options
    @CROW3 is right.

It’s being planned for the September Livestream.

I wouldn’t set your expectations high on a deep dive of tab target versus action combat ... the game is still in Alpha.

Even being in Alpha, concepts should be defined now. Changing back and forth adds delays.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Hm... I think three things up front.

1. What's the direction for bow combat: action (draw and fire ala ESO/Skyrim) or tab (ala WoW and NWO)?
    2. What planned unique utility skills will Rangers have that contribute to a group (in both PvE and PvP)?
    3. Rangers tend to be the most adept in wilderness settings, what are the plans for anything particularly interesting for environmental interactions (e.g. tracking, camouflage, etc)?

I second all of these points, but would like to add one more of my own:
    4. How will the Ranger class use a "pet", if at all, and how will it differ than other classes using 'battle pets'?
    jlyhubmxm6w1.png

Founder and Guild Leader of -Providence-
  • Options
    Oh, yeah:

5. How will "ammo" work? Just bundles of arrows on you at all times?
    jlyhubmxm6w1.png

Founder and Guild Leader of -Providence-
  • Options
    LordPax wrote: »
    Oh, yeah:

5. How will "ammo" work? Just bundles of arrows on you at all times?

as long as ammo is weightless, has it's own slot, and isnt tedious to "reload" then I'm fine with it.

Alternatively you could go the new world route and have ammo be a damage increase on top of an otherwise infinite baseline ammo. So you dont need ammo to function but it still has value as a higher damage consumable option.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Mayhem wrote: »

100% agree with this, need to know balance as it will determined if people think action is obsolete if tab has all the damage and benefits with 0 draw backs. By default skill being needed should mean there are benefits for action depending on how the skill works.

Ie long distance shot you need to aim compared to if there was a same kind of skill that was tab for long distance where it automatically curves and always hits the target.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Items I would like to know
    1. Will range matter (stronger if at range, weaker if close)
    2. Will elevation matter (ie greater range from castle wall, or up a hill)
    3. Will arrows be an item you need supply for
    4. Will there be boosts/poisons etc
    5. If range does matter, will there be close combat skills
    6. Will there be tracking

• Options
    akabear wrote: »
    Items I would like to know
    1. Will range matter (stronger if at range, weaker if close)
    2. Will elevation matter (ie greater range from castle wall, or up a hill)
    3. Will arrows be an item you need supply for
    4. Will there be boosts/poisons etc
    5. If range does matter, will there be close combat skills
    6. Will there be tracking

If I craft and sell the arrows, I'll be sure they also break and cannot be retrieved, so that I can sell more of them.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Strevi wrote: »
    Even being in Alpha, concepts should be defined now. Changing back and forth adds delays.

I’d argue that’s exactly what they’re avoiding by not being concrete about it yet. If they pick one now while the mechanics and class kits are half-baked, they might end up changing it later. But if they develop it all while remaining fluid and uncommitted to exact execution details surrounding tab vs action, then the combat being fun will take precedence and the way it’s executed will naturally come along as they go.
  • Options
    StreviStrevi Member
    edited September 2022
    Sengarden wrote: »

I’d argue that’s exactly what they’re avoiding by not being concrete about it yet. If they pick one now while the mechanics and class kits are half-baked, they might end up changing it later. But if they develop it all while remaining fluid and uncommitted to exact execution details surrounding tab vs action, then the combat being fun will take precedence and the way it’s executed will naturally come along as they go.

So you say they may go full tab target or full action combat?
    Edit:
    You are right, keeping freedom to change is OK. I just hope they think well and decide before beta and not wait to get player feedbak that late. Beta feels somewhat late for this kind of mechanic in my opinion. Some players will pull toward tab target others toward action... I'd rather see the players prepared than having a surprise :smile:
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sengarden wrote: »

So you say they may go full tab target or full action combat?

We MIGHT be past the point where the decision was coming up, now, but it was noted a few years ago that if Action Combat had issues, then Full Tab Target was the fallback.

We have heard no similar possibility for full action, as far as we know not even the most dedicated Action Combat player will likely be able to have zero 'Tab Target' skills, though considering how the reticle works as of now, they might just 'work like Action' in many situations anyway.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Full Tab target feels too old style to me.
    I hope they mix them well to allow an action feel too.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

The previous combat showcase had a few 'tells' in it that imply they will not need to go back to full Tab Target, but for other reasons I expect them to retain quite a few Tab Target outcomes.

This isn't surprising at all, of course, it's what we've been told from the beginning. I just hope that all the people who don't like a certain type of combat flow aren't completely turned off by the likely requirements of a specific aspect of it.

This is probably why people care about the Ranger showcase, it will tell us most of the rest of the information 'needed' to make educated 'guesses' about the requirements. Though I expect it will just be, again... 'exactly what they said from the beginning'.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options

Are you telling me pantheon rise of the fallen combat doesn't get you excited?
  • Options
    StreviStrevi Member
    edited September 2022
    Mag7spy wrote: »

I hear now first time about it. As far as I know you, you could have ended your post with a :naughty: too :smile:
    I'll have to check that game out but AoC feels amazing so far. Nice forum too.
  • Options

I hear now first time about it. As far as I know you, you could have ended your post with a :naughty: too :smile:

This is the type combat and its done in Everquest style. ancient and old. Combat meant for its complexity to come from min maxing over actual skill based combat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKFiPnbKYIA&t=1809s
  • Options
    This is the type combat and its done in Everquest style. ancient and old. Combat meant for its complexity to come from min maxing over actual skill based combat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKFiPnbKYIA&t=1809s

lol that's literal Dog shit
    img]
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »

lol that's literal Dog shit

20 years ago it would ground break, now in current times I agree with you. Also understand what alpha gameplay is but the spirt of how it will be is clear as day and their mentions on the parts they were "hyped" about in the showing is meh.

Same with EQ and full tab focused gameplay (though clearly WoW created the stadard for that and is much better, faster and fluid than pantheon)

The word im hearing from so many people is action combat, it is what people want now adays and what mmorpgs are pushing towards. Full tab is going to be left in the dark soon enough. A mmorpg just needs the complexity of tab with the combat of action. And by complexity i don't mean having 40 skills on you skill bar that all look the same. Nor do I mean anywhere close to new world combat where that game only have like 3 skills.
  • Options

Looks like a game made by an indie team. I feel so sorry for them :disappointed:
    Yet another mmo which will fail.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    We hear ya! We know how important the Ranger archetype and all of the Ranger classes are to our players. It's an iconic fantasy archetype and we really want to hit the bullseye with this one ;)

We will show off as much as we're able to with what is ready to demonstrate! ^_^ and we're excited to hear your thoughts on it!
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    MayhemMayhem Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Vaknar wrote: »
    We hear ya! We know how important the Ranger archetype and all of the Ranger classes are to our players. It's an iconic fantasy archetype and we really want to hit the bullseye with this one ;)

We will show off as much as we're able to with what is ready to demonstrate! ^_^ and we're excited to hear your thoughts on it!

Nice, feedback will be coming B)