Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Acquiring new skills anywhere VS Class trainer

The question is as simple as the title implies. Would you prefer:

Option 1:
Obtaining skills upon leveling up anywhere in the world?

Or

Option 2:
Would you rather have to go to any nearby node (maybe having reached a minimum level) to then learn your new skills from a class trainer?

Option 1offers a much easier way to approach the game and to allow for exploration and leveling, as you're not restricted from learning your archetype's skills by your other activities.

Option 2 offers perhaps a greater risk for some players never figuring out that they have skills they've not learned. It also incentivizes traffic to the nodes and can perhaps add more lore to every skill learned.

With option 2, this also opens the door for speculation on Augments from secondary classes. Should you be in town for you to be able to allot the points for this type of progress? Should you secondary archetype class trainer perhaps offer these, instead of your primary?

Leave your ideal, and if you've got any cool ideas, you're welcome to share them.
Sig-ult-2.png

Comments

• Options
    I would like skills to be learned from scrolls or books we find or buy on the market from other players. Not from NPCs.
    But of course learning them to be possible only when the apropriate level was reached.
    This would allow players to prepare ahead and have them ready when they level up, if they want to and were able to find sellers.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    I think certain skills could be learnt from trainer NPC's and as Strevi mentioned from scrolls or books that are rare drops or craftable by the Scribe profession. The Scribes should be able to craft any skill they know or from any scrolls or books they have found. The player trying to learn would still need to be capable of being able to learn it. However if you are doing something that makes 'ability X 10% more powerful' you should be able to learn that on the go as it's as if your character is getting more experienced and stronger.
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • Options
    Learn on the go. Its a tedious ritual from 20 years ago that doesnt add anything to the game.
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Asgerr wrote: »
    The question is as simple as the title implies. Would you prefer:

Option 1:
    Obtaining skills upon leveling up anywhere in the world?

Or

Option 2:
    Would you rather have to go to any nearby node (maybe having reached a minimum level) to then learn your new skills from a class trainer?

Option 1offers a much easier way to approach the game and to allow for exploration and leveling, as you're not restricted from learning your archetype's skills by your other activities.

Option 2 offers perhaps a greater risk for some players never figuring out that they have skills they've not learned. It also incentivizes traffic to the nodes and can perhaps add more lore to every skill learned.

With option 2, this also opens the door for speculation on Augments from secondary classes. Should you be in town for you to be able to allot the points for this type of progress? Should you secondary archetype class trainer perhaps offer these, instead of your primary?

Leave your ideal, and if you've got any cool ideas, you're welcome to share them.

I'd personally like a mix of the both, you should be able to discover skills on your own, but also have some moves learned through questlines/master trainers probably around 70% on the go / 30% training based/quest locked
    2edh26ackfsa.png
    The Wolves of Verra
    are recruiting: https://discord.gg/Rt8G3sNYac
  • Options
    Option 2, theres something fulfilling about heading to town to train. You cross a bunch of things off the list at the same time, bank items for later, check the auction house for some weapons, run into some homies or pop into the tavern.

The scribe idea sounds interesting but I don't wanto be price gated for getting my usual abilities that are necessary to play my character, if they were relatively affordable i wouldnt mind. But if I have to grind hours of gold for a core class ability thats just cruel. But at the same time that does open up a door for, oh snap hes got x,y,z!
  • Options
    I think the system we had in WOW classic was great. You have to go to a trainer to learn a new skill. Moreover, its full potency should be activated as you use the skill over time.
  • Options
    heebi wrote: »
    I think the system we had in WOW classic was great. You have to go to a trainer to learn a new skill. Moreover, its full potency should be activated as you use the skill over time.

I do like the idea of gaining proficiency with skills as you use them the progressions shouldn't start and end with unlocking x button, i'd be nice if skills leveled up through tiers of proficiency "
    1 - Novice
    2 - Advanced Beginner
    3 - Competent
    4 - Proficient
    5 - Expert

with perhaps a master option for certain skills but you can only master x number or master skills used by x weapon/combo
    2edh26ackfsa.png
    The Wolves of Verra
    are recruiting: https://discord.gg/Rt8G3sNYac
  • Options
    I would like it if skills would be learned / earned from completing certain quests. It would encourage wandering around the map more. Meeting certain NPCs could have unique quest chains. Say you are are a main ranger and meet a ranger out in the wild, he has you do a couple things for him. He rewards you at the end by teaching you a couple skills. Maybe points you in the direction of the next NPC where you can learn the next ranger skills. Something like that.
  • Options
    Taaku wrote: »
    I would like it if skills would be learned / earned from completing certain quests. It would encourage wandering around the map more. Meeting certain NPCs could have unique quest chains. Say you are are a main ranger and meet a ranger out in the wild, he has you do a couple things for him. He rewards you at the end by teaching you a couple skills. Maybe points you in the direction of the next NPC where you can learn the next ranger skills. Something like that.

Class quests are some of my favorite!! Splendid idea
  • Options
    I say 3 ways: the basic ones by leveling up, the more complex ones by visiting a master at certain nodes and a third type of unique skills that can only be obtained in world bosses and are unique like flying mounts but that have some repercussion like taking half of your life or affecting mana recovery.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Head back to town, speak with npc.
    For lvs 40-50 I would like yo see a couple skills per archetype that require the completion of a challenging quest.
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2022
    I like having new abilities right away when I level up. Particularly if I'm far afield of any towns.

I do understand that "free respec at any time" can be a bit much, however, and from what I understand is contrary to Steven's intent. Perhaps allow us to spend skill points anywhere (out of combat, of course), but only allow us to un-spend them in town.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Im hoping we can all take the fuppo method
    @Fuppo Headhunter

https://imgur.com/gallery/M1ddngU

du2ljngonyuq.png
  • Options
    Scarbeus wrote: »
    I think certain skills could be learnt from trainer NPC's and as Strevi mentioned from scrolls or books that are rare drops or craftable by the Scribe profession. The Scribes should be able to craft any skill they know or from any scrolls or books they have found. The player trying to learn would still need to be capable of being able to learn it. However if you are doing something that makes 'ability X 10% more powerful' you should be able to learn that on the go as it's as if your character is getting more experienced and stronger.

lol things might be contentious in the other thread but i agree with this generally.
    ----

Scribing I hope isn't a 10 second ability or something too easy. I'd hope it's like writing a technical manual.
    Reading it should have to take a while and require trial and error as well.

Training skills at certain intervals to progress would be good; having to practice something in order to level up your abilities further.
    For something like Fighter that might just be Sprint spam where you Spam [Shift] to increase Sprint speed and accumulate training. Literal physical training.

Physical skills are generally simpler to explain.

I haven't looked into Scribing but it can be its own skill that boils down to make Skill Tombs and getting feedback by watching someone practice what you wrote about [that they don't already know how to do].

Scribing could be skill specific; good at teaching Heroic Strike but not Charge. Good at teaching Firebolt but not Pyroclasm. There'd be a minimum of competency but a lot of room for improvement --> best Scribe can make reading and learning a skill a lot lot quicker.

Overall this creates a pace that lends itself to civ and army building where logistics and particular skills matter quite a bit.

In the end demonstration/ mentorship is generally quicker I guess. Scribing can fall under Mentoring ; if your mentoring is weak then scribing should be held back.
    No one likes Pantheon and I have seen a video on its endless tech trees but Pantheon is shit and is more endlessly tedious than real life, while I'm just trying to suggest something a bit more realistic and cooperative.
    "To be good at helping people you have to help people" isn't so alarming I hope lol.

If each ability had to be trained over-time (progress bar) that would be nice; flat improvements can be relatively short to train up while more complex things require a lot of practice. . . reagent gathering. . . even practice spells that aren't very useful but open up better spells. . .

Leave the simpler power gain to Fighter class IMO [remove mana JUST REMOVE IT] and make Spellcasters more elaborate to train up.
    Tangent: Rage is such a good mechanic I'm surprised everyone is so scared of stealing it.

• Options
    I tend to appreciate delayed gratification, so I'd prefer to go back to a trainer (or seek another master out). For citizens this is just one more way to connect with their node. I'm not sure how this might work for non-citizens though.

I'm not planning on becoming a citizen to a node for some time, so if there were a way to access training from multiple trainers across different nodes, that would be great. If I travel halfway across the continent and gain 5 levels in the process how can I access some training (maybe not for everything) while I'm out and about?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    I'd like a mix.
    1. Some you learn as you go, if there's a skill system, once you reach a certain skill you develop a new ability. 2. Once you level up you can talk to the class trainer, buy a book, and study to learn an ability
    3. Some locked behind quests. At level 30 you have to travel to a scary spooky skeleton to learn the bone dance.

Its hard to say if running back every level will be annoying, we don't know how fast leveling will be, or is intended to be even. But I don't think streamlining leveling/progression is healthy for any MMORPG. It should be challenging and have a level of tediousness too it. If too much of that challenge or tediousness is removed the leveling process begins to matter less and less. Not saying this alone would do it of course.
  • Options
    Learn all skills through books/scrolls. Some of those are sold by specialized npcs in specialized nodes of particular lvls (or just maxed ones).

Upgrade skills on the fly, so when you get skill points, you can go deep into a skill instead of learning another one. And going deep shows your proficiency so it doesn't need a master to teach you.

All augment schools should be learned through quests.

And as a total weeb point that might not work out in a real game situation - hidden skills that can only be acquired through some in-game achievements/actions or through some random npc that changes his location every day. In other words, hidden abilities from SAO B)
  • Options
    I agree with most of you, and I do like the old WoW vanilla/classic thing of having certain skill acquisition being tied to proficiency through use of basic skills.

For instance, in professions: you learn how to blacksmith, and then you learn schematics from a Trainer or a Scroll, but you need to have leveled your blacksmithing skill to the appropriate level to actually access those.
    Sig-ult-2.png