Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Second set of weapons - Will it be effective at all ?

PlandemoniumPlandemonium Member
edited September 2022 in General Discussion
What do you think, will it make any sense to use the weapons of a profession after augmentation (second class) ?
Let's take Scout as an example (Ranger main class and Rouge second class). If a PVP or PVE battle occurs, will such a Scout have any reason to pull out daggers ? If we assume that after choosing Rouge as the primary class, use of daggers inflicts 100% damage which is obvious. Then what level of damage can a Ranger who chooses Rouge as his second profession should count on when using daggers ? 30-50 % compared to Rouge ? I understand that each class should have some weaknesses. If you play a ranged class you should expect that when the opponent shortens the distance, you have a poor chance of survival in a 1 vs 1 fight. I mean more about how much we can rely on second choice weapons ?

It will be hard to find some cool use of the second class for 64 different choices. That's why I'd prefer that the use of a second set of weapons be a common thing to add variety to the gameplay though.

While I'm at it, I can not fail to mention the super use I see for Falcroner (Ranger + summoner). Namely, the ability to swap places with his falcon (like the wargs in GoT). I think every mission with a caravan would have to have such a player in their team.

Finally, clear up my doubts.... Have the developers confirmed somewhere that we will be able to use other weapons than the base class ?

Comments

• Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2022
    All classes can use all weapons.

Getting your secondary archetype does not grant any new abilities. Only the opportunity to augment or adjust the abilities you already have from your primary archetype. (What those changes may ultimately be is a matter of some speculation.)

The use of daggers inflicted 100% damage both before and after the Ranger added a Rogue secondary class. (And so did Greatswords.) The Ranger, of course, probably has some skills that make using bows more effective, and they still have all of those abilities (and zero new dagger related abilities) after they choose their Rogue secondary class. (It's not yet clear whether the Ranger's abilities will tend to work well with other weapon types than Bow. We're all excited for the upcoming Ranger class showcase in this month's development livestream, to get more perspective on their intended design.)
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited September 2022
    I absolutely want to be switching liberally from bow to sword & board (either Sentinel or Strider). It’s a play style I love. I won’t match the sheer output amplitude of a Hawkeye, or the mitigation of a Guardian, but I’m not interested in specializing.

As an explorer, versatility will win the day.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    SongRune wrote: »

Getting your secondary archetype does not grant any new abilities. Only the opportunity to augment or adjust the abilities you already have from your primary archetype. (What those changes may ultimately be is a matter of some speculation.)

The use of daggers inflicted 100% damage both before and after the Ranger added a Rogue secondary class. (And so did Greatswords.) The Ranger, of course, probably has some skills that make using bows more effective, and they still have all of those abilities (and zero new dagger related abilities) after they choose their Rogue secondary class. (It's not yet clear whether the Ranger's abilities will tend to work well with other weapon types than Bow. We're all excited for the upcoming Ranger class showcase in this month's development livestream, to get more perspective on their intended design.)

I agree with you 99%. However, I don't think it is reasonable that a Fighter who uses a sword 80% of the time should be able to use, for example, a bow with 100% effectiveness. Just as an archer should never master a sword to perfection.

The same is already with a second-class selection skills, which we will never master optimally.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The fighter will be able to use the bow at 100% damage. This does not mean the fighter has 100% effectiveness of the bow in comparison to a bow focused class such as the ranger as the fighter abilities will most likely be focused into melee while the ranger will probably have more abilities for ranged.

However, we don't really know yet. Were just going to have to wait and see how the systems break down.
  • Options
    hleVhleV Member
    edited September 2022
    I don't mind switching weapons, but please don't make it instantaneous like some (most?) MMORPGs that allow it, it just looks so weird, and in PvP you should be able to make a decision based on the opponent's currently drawn weapon, which won't work if they can immediately switch to another. New World did it fine IMO, the 2 weapons a player can use are displayed visually, and there's a pull out animation.
  • Options
    Hey all! I do hope Intrepid will allow the use of various weapons/swap mechanics. Just to have the freedom to enjoy your particular/individual playstyle.
    If its optimal or not, let the player decide. Also, having this option could shift the game experience in regards to encounters.
    Some may have a myopic view, but the truth is we still don't know how or what fight mechanics Intrepid has envisioned. I can understand that anyone would want to dash as much damage as possible based on their class/augments/specialization ... but the question still remains.... Will bosses/mobs have a weakness or vulnerability? I mean, its an MMO, so there will be lots of magic damage types/physical damage types, auras, etc.. and resistances to anyone of them.

so for example, there could even be specific phases within a fight or encounter that could render range/magic damage useless and vice versa. In my mind that would be awesome. To give that extra flavor to fight. The focus would not be to decrease the players damage at any given point, just to make them react/adapt to any particular mechanic or situation.
    - If you need to visualize it, just think about any type of mob that you would want/need to attack and they have a particular shield or aura ... maybe highlighting that you would need to smack them with a melee weapon. Instead of casting that big "fire spell" upfront, wait until the shield/aura fades to bring down the pain... or
    - If you see a golem with a thick armor aura, maybe you would shoot from a far to peel away a bit of health or reduce/remove their armor aura. Then hammer or shiv them to death... or
    - If the mob is flying and you are a melee class like a Rogue ... you could damage it from a far with a ranged weapon or magic spell. Melee attacks are useless until it decides to land and attack you at your level in the ground. I mean, its Karma right there... how many times have we attacked a mob having an advantage point? It would be fair. Lol
    - If you're more of a brawns kinda person ... charge in, fight and be victorious .. or not. The important thing is you are enjoying your game time.

Be well all!
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2022
    heebi wrote: »
    SongRune wrote: »

I agree with you 99%. However, I don't think it is reasonable that a Fighter who uses a sword 80% of the time should be able to use, for example, a bow with 100% effectiveness. Just as an archer should never master a sword to perfection.

The same is already with a second-class selection skills, which we will never master optimally.

For starters, your effectiveness with weapons will come down more to stats than class choice. A warrior who has focused on stats that benefit their melee won't have the same stats as a ranger who focused on stats that help their range/bow damage.

A warrior also would not have the same bow abilities as a ranger so even if they focused on stats that help their bow, they wont have the same effectiveness due to the lack of bow abilities.