Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Default First Person; Third Person an Ability

SapiverenusSapiverenus Member
edited September 2022 in General Discussion
Cleric and Mage ability. "Divine Sight" for Clerics and "Mage Eye" for Mages. I guess Divine Sight would have higher uptime [more passive] while Mages have to Channel the ability.

While we're at it. . . Rangers pull their arrows and aim left/right of where they're facing lol

Mage gets a dark dark dark inky blue aura radiating further and further in the direction of the player camera based on third person range. Cleric gets soft barely visible illuminance that sorta reaches towards their camera as well. This is visible to other players.

Comments

• Options
    I usually play 3rd person but maybe I can play 1st person too.
    For some reason I hate playing isometric MMOs.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    AsraielAsraiel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2022
    @Sapiverenus just some general thing (not topic related) AoC doesnt seem to be the game for you most of your ideas are a reality in the game "SCUM" that is development. you find it in steam.
    AOC is a mmo-rpg and not a survival rpg.
    shure survival has nice mechanics in it but mixing both for AoC would be a bad idea.

theoreticly i do find your idea here not bad. but for me a RPG is a RPG and RPG games have the 3rd person view. only survival or shooter focusing on 1st person.

but there are also other things like map, radar other UI related things that tecnicly could be skill related. but i dont see it be someing for AOC since AOC does go the more Classic route of MMO-RPG only with a few more content creating mechanics in it. Games that are what MMO-RPG ment in the early days AND not what it is interpreted now "many single player playing in the same world, but not with eachother"
  • Options
    How about periphery vision stretched in corners such that there is more field of view at the edges; 80 in the middle and another 80 at the edges not taking up much space but providing some extra periphery.
    I'm not a fan of how most games render this though.
    I guess you would have it such that the camera is always slightly moving (the person) so the pixels slightly update and you have a better sense of your surroundings by the slightly changing blurs at the periphery.

@Asraiel
    I don't imagine it as many solo players. Having a hostile world requiring cooperation amongst players sounds right.

SCUM looks neat. I saw a bit about it yesterday.
  • Options
    I think the issue is how the image curves. It needs to look and feel good. Some nuance required.
  • Options
    Screen distance is about 2 ft for most people and 21 inches wide or so.
    That's like 35 degrees of my field of view.

With some fiddling and maybe 1/3 at the center of the screen being literal perspective in-game (about 10 degrees of my vision so 10 degrees in-game) giving it a sense of being a "window" into the world while the rest of the screen is stretched more and more where the interim 1/3 is like 40 degrees with some blur and then the outer 1/3 is 90 degrees and very blurry.

If you're confused then look up "fov fps" or "Field of View FPS". It doesn't look great the way it's implemented but there's room to improve.
  • Options
    Center 1/3 of the screen could be ultra high def; if done right would be much lower computer resource intensive due to how small an area it is.
    So you have a window into the world that is ultra next gen.
    Then you have an interim 1/3 of the screen around that that is medium definition and stretched.
    Then an outer 1/3 that is mega stretched low definition.
    And it would be ovals for most monitors since they're wide or tall.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Most game field of views are about 80 degrees. That's terrible for spacial awareness. They also fit all of that onto the screen and it gives it a fishbowl sort of look.
    Having a 1:1 field of view at the center then stretch at periphery should look good and be easy to understand and engage with.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    I don't really know why you'd like Ashes to change so much given how many "suggestions" you make and how recent your account is, but I definitely hope that most, if not all, of your ideas are completely ignored.

MMORPGs are 3rd person, 1st person could be an option. Period.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    Doesn't sound fun
  • Options
    No, thanks.

Also,
    While we're at it. . . Rangers pull their arrows and aim left/right of where they're facing lol

No. These actions are based on handedness not what direction you're aiming.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    as others have said no, first person should be an option but no, third person is the best view for mmo's you already need enough information on your hud to function properly in first person that becomes to constraining and game mechanics like mob telegraphs become needlessly difficult to see and adapt to. I wouldn't be surprised if your next suggestion is remove the hud and you need to memorize all your key binds as the icons break immersion.
    2edh26ackfsa.png
    The Wolves of Verra
    are recruiting: https://discord.gg/Rt8G3sNYac
  • Options
    AsraielAsraiel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    3rd person is a must

but AOC has a massive scroll out distance that i only know from heavly modded games. it shure nice for PVP and other combat interactions but the well designed skins becomes obsolete if so far scrolled out that you dont see the details anymore.

• Options
    as others have said no, first person should be an option but no, third person is the best view for mmo's you already need enough information on your hud to function properly in first person that becomes to constraining and game mechanics like mob telegraphs become needlessly difficult to see and adapt to. I wouldn't be surprised if your next suggestion is remove the hud and you need to memorize all your key binds as the icons break immersion.

Mob telegraphicing and movement is a big issue becaus everything teleports or instantaneously Animation switches. So yeah that's an issue.
    In another thread I suggest Acceleratin/Deceleration to movement for this reason, and some sort of physics based animations and movement in general (physics adjusted) for much more information availabe to see.

So yeah I agree first person makes the game more difficult but with changes to the way things attack/ move and improved field of view it should look a lot more natural and understandable.

Having a shit ton of hotkey abilities I don't think is good either. Many attacks should be based on movement (thus WASD) when we're talking about simple melee; for abilities having more than 4 on melee is not contributing much. Ranged can't use more than 4.
    Spells I think should be slower paced and cooler.

So with current rehashes from old MMOs it wouldn't contribute much but is much much better when you make the game more "mechanical" rather than "hotbar".

Letting Clerics and Mages have an interesting ability instead of making a floating All Seeing Eye available to every player is a lot more of a game than Hotbar Clicker.
  • Options
    As for Inventory: Open Backpack. Take off physical backpack or open Easy Access menu.
    How?
    Tap F -> easy access container menu opens with locations on the screen different based on what container it is; belt type stuff is at the bottom, side bags are at the side.
    Hold F -> cursor appears and you can click on something.

Hold Shift + Tap F ->Takes the main bag off and puts it in your hand or in front of you; this can take variable time to take off based on relative backpack weight/size ->large and heavy is 2 seconds to take off, 1.5 seconds for medium, .75 second for light. When in combat this decreases by .25 seconds for each.

If you're holding a light or medium pack and have an open hand, you hold the bag in your hand and can hold left/right click to open and hold left/right click then press E to drop or Hold E to throw.

Tap E interacts. Hold E to steal or Hold Left/Right Click [left/right hand] then Tap E to drop or Hold E to throw.

Attacks: WASD modifier to relevant moves. Hold Shift to Sprint. Hold Shift when attacking to add some OOMPH. Rapid press Shift to up an Effort Meter that running and attacking uses to add even more OOMPH.

Press X to Holster/Unholster while holding Left/Right click.
    Hold
    then hold
    and release the other button to switch which hand the weapon/item is in.

1,2,3,4,C, R, Q, Left Ctrl for other abilities/actions.

Having abilities that require jumping [Space] and pressing Shift after jumping like BLINK so you JUMP THROUGH TIME-SPACE in the direction you're flying/jumping. Or just press Ctrl + WASD/ WASD+ Ctrl if that's interferring with some button combos.

It can be done.

• Options
    Honestly I would love Ashes to be first person but I don't see that happening
    [Fortunes Wrath] https://fortuneswrath.com/
    Cleric
    giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fyppzyr6egwlqfok7dpffkpeteji5hhvcq9kkqbqb&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    No, I definitely want 3rd person and definitely want to zoom out a ways when I need to.
  • Options
    Out of the MMO's I've played WoW had my favourite camera settings, being able to zoom into first person and out. I'd also be fine with it being a toggle option, but I don't like the idea of restricting it to first person.
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • Options
    Scarbeus wrote: »
    Out of the MMO's I've played WoW had my favourite camera settings, being able to zoom into first person and out. I'd also be fine with it being a toggle option, but I don't like the idea of restricting it to first person.

What do yall think about Cleric having third person though.
    It's so thematic it hurts.
  • Options
    What's different from a Cleric having 3rd person compared to anyone else?
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • Options
    Scarbeus wrote: »
    What's different from a Cleric having 3rd person compared to anyone else?

Because they have Divine Sense. Holy Sight. Looking down from above. And everyone else is in first person view.
  • Options
    Diamaht wrote: »
    No, I definitely want 3rd person and definitely want to zoom out a ways when I need to.

I'm sorry but you must roll Cleric for such Divine Sight. To gaze down from the heavens is a Cleric's boon.
  • Options
    Diamaht wrote: »

I'm sorry but you must roll Cleric for such Divine Sight. To gaze down from the heavens is a Cleric's boon.

In my experience, clerics tend to be quite short-sighted & narrow-minded. :smirk:
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    @CROW3
    lol. maybe it's arrogance from looking down on everyone
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited September 2022
    It’s possible. Bwhahahaha!
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Hard no
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Why would default be first person? 3rd person is the norm and standard having it as an ability is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Again you want backpacks, first person with 3rd person being an ability, de level on death, character deletion, talking shit about the dev time and classes.

Every post you make is just suggesting survival game systems or talking trash about the game it's absolutely embarrassing. Why don't you just play Rust or DayZ? This is an MMORPG.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    @Malcador_Sigillite
    Why do you keep citing the genre as if the historically rudimentary and formulaic execution of its moniker will banish me.

First person means lower field of view; hence direction one's facing is relevant in any given scenario. The field of view restriction is too much in my opinion but 180 degrees would be good and immersive. The way it fits onto the screen isn't great but I have suggested some technical solutions that could be imagined or playtested by some programmers.

8 x 8 classes as it is is too much to make each combo distinct. Sharif hopes each of the 64 combos has its own unique 4 sub-specializations as well.

Limitations means certain classes can get certain de-limitations.
    In this case I have suggested 2 different third person views but there could be a few more,
    such as "Eyes of the Beast" for a Beast Master type character;
    visual indications of being watched such as an eye at the top of the HUD to indicate they "Get the Feeling of Being Watched" when players are looking at them from outside their field of view or very far away if they're using a telescope type instrument or "Eyes of the Beast" to spy on them; exclusive to say Rangers and Rogues due to their Perceptiveness.

Shutting shit down leaves no room for growth.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    idk why people still replying dude is clearly just trolling...
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui