Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

risk vs. reward.

AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited September 2022 in General Discussion
there has been a lot of talk about the changes to oceans in the name of 'risk vs. reward'... but, I don't think everyone is understanding the risk side... or the reward frankly. I am SURE I don't understand it either. It's new.

What if putting goods on a caravan and getting them to their destination gives you a built in 1.5 times economic advantage.

cool right. but what if that same amount of goods (and we know a cargo ship can carry much more than a caravan) gives you a 3.5 times economic advantage by getting it to the other continent (or an island)?

This is the risk vs. reward side of things. I think this potential is missing in many of the juvenile arguments that ocean life is less risky than more.

WE DONT UNDERSTAND THE GAME YET. THINGS ARE CHANGING.

"Steven told me in an interview" is a weak starter when Steven opened this discussion in the live stream with "Things have need to change" based upon our actual implementation of things in the engine. I would think that argument is more persuasive than "it said in the Kickstarter" four years ago.

I want a fun game. We all (or most of us) are into this game because we believe in Steven and his vision... not a specific quote many months/years ago or a desire to change the core vision of the game because we personally only want to PVP when it is convenient and we want to.

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2022
    Caravans (including Naval Caravans) were already outside of Corruption and death penalties, so that is different than the Open Seas being auto-flag.
    So...Naval Caravans cannot be the same risk v reward Steven was talking about because that is not a change.

If, like Caravans and Sieges, the Open Seas has no death penalties, I'm cool with that.
    No risk for me. People can kill me all they wish. And... it's easy enough to just use my auqatic mounts rather than ships.
  • Options
    Hi Dygz.

I feel bad for you.. but am hoping you find a way to have fun in this game that you are apparently MASSIVELY invested in, somehow, despite hating the fundamental principles it is built on.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    p.s. the risk/reward maybe has nothing to do with corruption, but the fact that there is huge financial reward to putting valuable goods on the water... rather than the land, thus creating risk (because of the pvp rules). you are so focused on your dislike of pvp (a core component of this game, btw) that you are blinded to the greater vision of the game.
  • Options
    Steven is the reason why this game exists, he's probably our MMORPG lord and savior.

However, even Steven isn't perfect, so if/when he makes a mistake, testing will show if decisions are good or bad, and if something can be improved/balanced/reverted, it hopefully will.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Um. No. Naval Caravans were already a thing. So that risk was already there.
    Has been for years.

Global Corruption flagging was a core component. That has changed significantly.

I'm not sure what the point of your thread is though.
  • Options
    I agree Dygz alt BaSka13.

Even more reason the statement "I will test the game, but not play it" it so rediculous.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Um. No. Naval Caravans was already a thing. So that risk was already there.
    Has been for years.

Global Corruption flagging was a core component. That has changed significantly.

I'm not sure what the point of your thread is though.

Can you specify all the specifics of the naval caravans that you are so sure you understand? What if, and i Know this is a crazy idea, that when implementing the ACTUAL mechanics of these things, they felt a change was needed.

You are stuck on vision... we are on the 'tire meets road' version of things.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    What's ridiculous about testing the features I like in a game I won't play?
    I did that for an entire decade when I worked at Activision.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    What's ridiculous about testing the features I like in a game I won't play?

I am sure you will be asking yourself this question for a long time.
  • Options
    Lets focus on getting a great game... not promises made in the back room of dreams.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    The devs are already working on delivering a great game.
    So... what is it you want the community to do??
  • Options
    honestly.. just shhhusshhh for a bit.
  • Options
    You might wanna take your own advice.
  • Options
    fair enough, main Dygz
  • Options
    Abarat wrote: »
    I agree Dygz alt BaSka13.

You're mentally ill.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    MrPocketsMrPockets Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Anyone that wants an example of a player economy that revolves around transportation of goods and risk/reward, just go look up albion online.

In that game if you want higher profits for items, you must transport them through open PvP zones. I imagine ashes is going for the same concept.

• Options
    Random multipliers are never fun though. Come on man.

Just give packs realistic weight and size so you need larger transportation: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/53683/backpacks-not-inventories/p1

And let level 1 - 10s with 0 Strength or Stam to carry heavy things use Animals, Carts, Caravans to transport goods for you.

I guess the way to handle this is to have a trusted ally go with the noobs to make sure they don't try and steal stuff.

If world was 3x bigger once again and Exhaustion [Stamina] was a thing it would all just fall into place.