Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ashes arena fantasy league

Ace1234Ace1234 Member
edited September 2022 in General Discussion
I think it would be cool if for pvp tournaments you could draft other pvp players, kind of like a "fantasy football" league, and compete against other players fantasy teams for rewards or being able to wager on different teams, and for a spot on a ranked leaderboard. This could extend beyond players killing other players, and be available for any kind of player competitions, including ranked pve.

The drafting process could be more involved than just picking from a pool of players who entered the tournament. Maybe you have to convince other players to join your fantasy team, to add a political/social layer on top of the management aspects.

This would also synergize really well with the "spectatable arena battles" idea. The hyperlink tool isn't available for me, maybe since I am on mobile?

Comments

• Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    this would be epic... plus a potential legit eSport
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Speaking of games in Taverns, can we please bet on the PvP matches in the monthly contest for Military node mayors?
  • Options
    SapiverenusSapiverenus Member
    edited September 2022
    Ace1234 wrote: »
    I think it would be cool if for pvp tournaments you could draft other pvp players, kind of like a "fantasy football" league, and compete against other players fantasy teams for rewards or being able to wager on different teams, and for a spot on a ranked leaderboard. This could extend beyond players killing other players, and be available for any kind of player competitions, including ranked pve.

The drafting process could be more involved than just picking from a pool of players who entered the tournament. Maybe you have to convince other players to join your fantasy team, to add a political/social layer on top of the management aspects.

This would also synergize really well with the "spectatable arena battles" idea. The hyperlink tool isn't available for me, maybe since I am on mobile?

If it were for unarmed combat and played like a deep realistic brawler I'd dig it. I would like unarmed to be pretty good; like its own game.
  • Options
    Here is the spectatable battle arena idea that would synergize well with this- since I can't get the link to show up.
    I read that spectating arena battles may be possible through an interface.

I think it would be better to be able to physically be at the combat area to spectate, such as at a colesseum, where crowds and vendors can gather to socialize at the event. Having a wager system for betting on matches would also be very cool.

Obviously if you want the fights to be isloated then there can be a barrier of some kind, but i think it would be much cooler to be able to actually have gatherings at the location of the arena battles, rather that having a camera view of them. Even if this isn't the norm, it would be really cool to at least have the option in certain cases.
  • Options
    @Ace1234
    Anywhere anytime. Throwin' down.

For the Battle Arena:
    Magic vs Magic, Physical vs Physical Arena Tournament would be cool with the best of each going up against one another at the end of a Tournament.

That would help developers learn about balance between similar classes and balance between differing classes in a more organized way.

Certain classes are probably just better at 1v1 versus similar classes but I don't think that's a big deal. It makes it balanced in fact; each have unique strengths outside of dueling. Fighter is best Fighter, Mage is best Mage.

Then when the other classes win it provides feedback to the developers of how different skill levels tackle the problem & try and learn from it.

For Bards. . . Bards compete in a rhythm type game. . . Guitaroo type? Fast paced. lmao. Could depend on instrument; Drums might be an OSU! type game. Not much of a battle but what else do Bards do lol.

Bard combat could amount to rhythm game type stuff throughout the MMO who knows.
  • Options
    Ace1234Ace1234 Member
    edited September 2022
    @Sapiverenus
    Bet.
    Another route they could take is just have a rock/paper/scissors for the class balance, so there isn't one clear best class in each type of gameplay, so that the community within that gameplay can have sime variety in the meta. Each class could have more of a soft counter, where if you outskill the opponent enough you could still win even if your at an inherent disadvantage.
  • Options
    Ace1234 wrote: »
    @Sapiverenus
    Bet.
    Another route they could take is just have a rock/paper/scissors for the class balance, so there isn't one clear best class in each type of gameplay, so that the community within that gameplay can have sime variety in the meta. Each class could have more of a soft counter, where if you outskill the opponent enough you could still win even if your at an inherent disadvantage.

that's great in theory but when it comes to balancing MMO's its difficult. With them balancing around 8v8 I will be very interested how they are suppose to balance 1v1 3v3 5v5 etc.
  • Options
    Ace1234Ace1234 Member
    edited September 2022
    @Malcador_Sigillite
    If you balance it at a basic level- then any kind of large scale version of that system has to adhere to those base design systems.

So-assuming they actually balanced the rock/paper/scissors right- then no matter how many players there are you still have to choose between rock/paper/scissors or have a combination of them- in which case there will always be a combination available to counter that.

So its just about designing at the most basic level how you want the meta to look- and then it just scales up automatically- in which case if you want everything to have a soft counter through rock/paper/scissors then that should retain the principles of having a soft counter combination, even when more potential combinations are introduced.
  • Options
    SapiverenusSapiverenus Member
    edited September 2022
    @Ace1234
    Well Tank blocking an entrance is Rock vs Scissors so to speak; so yeah typing in a sense is good and is basically "Class Identity".
    Other than that it's situational. Dagger loses against Rock lol. Hammer beats Rock.

If Dagger has no good use then something is missing probably. Or maybe Dagger is just a shitty weapon lol.
  • Options
    Yea- i am fine with classes having bad matchups, as long as there is a reasonable margin that you are required to out-skill someone to overcome that bad matchup. This would mean that skill would have to have a decent weighting compared to the matchup advantages, in determining the battle outcome.