Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Theatre of Carnage Round 2: A Military Node Building

SathragoSathrago Member
edited September 2022 in General Discussion
I would like to preface this suggestion with a few things. To begin with, this has been suggested before in another thread, if you wish to read that it can be found here. Things felt a bit de-railed to necro that thread specifically so I wished to bring this back here seeing as we have more of an idea for Intrepid's pvp scene with the recent reveal of open seas being flagged.
Lastly, I fully understand that there are gambling laws and such in the EU and other locations that might make this idea specifically hard to put in the game. However it is my belief that Intrepid have the smarts and ability to create an acceptable system within these laws.

Without further ado, here's the suggestions, and alternatives for some of the mechanics that were compiled during the other thread's lifespan.

General Idea:
I would like for there to be an optional building that can be placed within military nodes, possibly economic nodes too, where players can sign up to fight in a blood sport against other players. These fights will either be solo vs solo or group vs group. This battle will be to the death and all gear will drop for the winning team to loot as a reward. Other players will have the ability to bet on who will win the fight while watching from the stands. The winning team will gain a percentage of all bets cast while also increasing their ranking within the Theatre of Carnage.

Just to be clear, this will not be an instanced arena, people will be able to freely walk into the stands and watch each fight though they will not be able to enter the pit itself.

Alternative to Full Loot: Instead of players dropping the gear they are wearing, the gear would instead drop to 0% durability and grant the winners the "repair cost" in materials for the gear broken in this manner. The amount can be changed as necessary.

Cosmetic Pieces: As another alternative loot system, players could drop special "blood-soaked" material tokens for one random piece of gear they were wearing. This token in addition to the ordinary materials required could be taken to a crafter to make a Theatre of Carnage variant of that equipment piece that is essentially a color or design variant of the original equipment. This alternative would mean each player only drops a single token rather than materials or their full loot.

Alternative Building Names:
Murder Pits
Colosseum

Matchmaking Mechanics:
These matches will have set times that can be signed up for spread throughout a day. A team will sign up for a time slot and a moderate amount of time before then the system will alert the players of each team to show up. If they do not accept the invite a new team is chosen. This repeats until a match is found or the time limit is reached. If a match is not made in time there will be no fight. Players that sign up for a timeslot should be heavily punished in rankings (or some other form) for skipping out on a fight they have signed up for.

Battle Mechanics:
The team sizes currently suggested are, 1v1, 2v2, 4v4, 8v8. Using 8 as the standard adventuring party I split down from there. I have no other real reason for the team sizes than that.

When a Team is defeated their gear will drop for the enemy players to loot but in a damaged state that will require repairing before it can be used.

There are no plans for any traps, mechanisms or terrain within the murder pits. a bowl of sand, broken teeth, and blood is my current suggestion.

Gambling Mechanics:
When a fight is announced other players can come to watch the fun and choose to bet on which team will win. (possibly a minor fee to enter)

My current suggestion is to have the amount you can bet be determined strictly by the system after calculating difference in ranking and item level of the two teams.

Taxes should be applied appropriately to generate funds for the Node itself.

Suggestion to make this acceptable under gambling laws: Any gold earned via this gambling system becomes an account bound currency that is used to pay taxes and various other system-based costs. Basically removing the ability to trade with players but still letting it be a useful resource.

Other Suggestions:

Instead of it always being a random enemy team we could also mix in elite monsters/npcs as part of the queue. These would have different rules than your standard pvp fights. Firstly, players would not drop their gear should they fail to beat the monster. If the npc wins the percentage that would normally go to a winning player will instead go to the Node.

Expanding on the previous idea, instead of an AI as an opponent we could instead use monster tokens or even animal husbandry to create monsters to fight with. This would work similar to the champion idea that was mentioned for the Battle Royale mayor choosing competition. You would have an npc or monster that can be geared out or augmented the higher your rankings.

When defeating either an npc monster or a player controlled monster they could drop a Race Token. A Race Token would be a consumable item that, for a period of time, grants the player a bonus to certificate drops or experience when hunting creatures of that specific monster's race. Additionally this token could possibly be used as part of a crafting recipe to create Trophy Stands. A Trophy Stand would be a taxidermized version of the monster slain that when placed in a house or other building, players would be able to gaze upon it and gain a small boon. This boon would give them a minor bonus to experience, certificates, or damage/defense against that monster's race for a decent amount of time. These trophies would work similarly to food buffs that have been talked about previously.

(If you have any suggestions post them below and ill add it to the list here)
5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu

Comments

• Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    edited September 2022
    Interesting concept. But a hard no to full loot arena PvP. Way too punishing and it would keep a player out of the competition for too long trying to get new gear. I'd suggest, instead of full loot, to not only allow spectators to bet, but set a price on the match itself as well. Set up a match, and have the parties fighting set their bets by agreeing on a required fee, and the winners split the pot. Can even set percentages for each participants share.

You can even incorporate this into a job board like quests, where a player or party post up their fight and its terms for others to accept.
    You could also you this system exclusively for "champions" used in mayor electoral arenas for military nodes. Allowing for players to focus on progressing their champions in preparation for the mayor term.

I do like some of the token currency ideas you mentioned, but I would apply them to things like forging champion specific gear if my previous suggestion was implemented. Aesthetics wouldn't be a factor in that case since all champions aren't supposed to be distinguishable from another.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Dolyem wrote: »
    Interesting concept. But a hard no to full loot arena PvP. Way too punishing and it would keep a player out of the competition for too long trying to get new gear. I'd suggest, instead of full loot, to not only allow spectators to bet, but set a price on the match itself as well. Set up a match, and have the parties fighting set their bets by agreeing on a required fee, and the winners split the pot. Can even set percentages for each participants share.

What are your thoughts on the alternative posted above? The loser has their gear durability reduced to zero and the materials that would be used to repair such items would be rewarded to the winner.
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Dolyem wrote: »

What are your thoughts on the alternative posted above? The loser has their gear durability reduced to zero and the materials that would be used to repair such items would be rewarded to the winner.

That isn't crazy terrible. At least then one could prepare beforehand to have materials ready for a potential repair cost. I don't know how you'd translate the cost to award the winners though seeing as it would cost materials, not just gold.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Ace1234Ace1234 Member
    edited September 2022
    I like the idea, very similar to one of my posts about having spectatable battle arenas. I also think this would synergize well with my recent post on having "fantasy leagues" consisting of drafting different pvp players on to a fantasy team and competing against others fantasy teams as well, with the ability to convince players to join your league. It would add another layer of management/political aspects that would tie in to the arena combat and gambling systems that you mentioned.