Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Scouting balloons as craft-able/rare loot/etc

Saw mSilver talking about wanting to see Vera from the air https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/53709/discussion-over-flying-mounts#latest and this got me thinking. Without breaking travel times or core concepts of flying mounts there could be an item like a "Scouting Balloon" or "Recon Balloon" (name is really unimportant). Basically something that is anchored to the ground and goes X feet/meters into the air. This could allow for different thing depending on implementation. Here are a couple examples depending on how it may be good/bad for the game:

1. Allows for only scenic view. Does not show players NPCs moving around, great for scenic vistas or "I wonder what's over there" type of exploring

2. Allows for the same view someone on a flying mount might have, including caravan scouting/over-watch, rear guard for sieges

3. Not allowed to be used during "Prime time." Not useable during siege preps or basically as any bonus to group meaningful PvP. Could still provide visas and possible bounty hunting scout position.

These are just some ideas I had and by no means the only way an item like this could be used or restricted. Just a thought I had after seeing Jahlon read the previously mentioned thread on PGN's twitch stream.

Comments

• Options
    Interesting idea, but if it can be used as faster travel I'm against it, at least for now before playing the game and feeling it out.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    Interesting idea, but if it can be used as faster travel I'm against it, at least for now before playing the game and feeling it out.
    You obviously missed the "Anchored to the ground" part
  • Options
    I like the idea, but I feel it would have to be high level item not easily available for use. Say high level craft able by one profession requiring items crafted by other professions(Also this way it would create resource sink). Otherwise it would kill exploration early on, and provide people with info on best routes with little effort.
  • Options
    One problem with
    Decyl wrote: »
    I like the idea, but I feel it would have to be high level item not easily available for use. Say high level craft able by one profession requiring items crafted by other professions(Also this way it would create resource sink). Otherwise it would kill exploration early on, and provide people with info on best routes with little effort.

Good point, seeing the map from above could reveal strategical points and maybe caravans.
    Might not be a good idea to have balloons after all.
    To have resource sink, the balloons should be destroyed by something.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    That's why there were 3 different ways to implement. As you can see both options 1 and 3 keep it from being usable against or for caravan protection/attack.

• Options
    Indeed. Option 1 would be ok imo.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2022
    SparkyCJB wrote: »
    That's why there were 3 different ways to implement. As you can see both options 1 and 3 keep it from being usable against or for caravan protection/attack.

It does however reduce the value of actual exploration and area familiarity in terms of caravan route planning. A blessing for tourists, but a curse for explorers and locals.
  • Options
    Does not reduce. Prevents giving away other people's actions on the ground.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Not necessarily balloon, but for the fast travel that is available, I am up for alternatives than just the instant teleport.. Something that traversed the land might be interesting
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2022
    Strevi wrote: »

If you are responding to me, please think again. If it shows no players and no caravans, it still shows an outsider who isn't familiar with a node and hasn't spent time exploring or scouting it the ability to bypass all of that effort, and to bypass engaging with a scout who is intimately familiar with the local region when they are trying to decide what route to take their caravan on when it passes through this area.

In this way it reduces player interaction, and eliminates a good half or more of a scout's job.
  • Options
    SongRune wrote: »
    Strevi wrote: »

If you are responding to me, please think again. If it shows no players and no caravans, it still shows an outsider who isn't familiar with a node and hasn't spent time exploring or scouting it the ability to bypass all of that effort, and to bypass engaging with a scout who is intimately familiar with the local region when they are trying to decide what route to take their caravan on when it passes through this area.

In this way it reduces player interaction, and eliminates a good half or more of a scout's job.

Yes, I misunderstood your point of view.
    I am so used now to players to say that easy = better and somehow I wrongly assumed you want to see more when using a balloon.
    I agree with your point of view now that I understand it.