Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Blacksmithing question

Ace1234Ace1234 Member
edited September 2022 in General Discussion
I see blacksmithing, armor smithing, and weapon smithing are all listed as separate artisan classes- but blacksmithing is described as armor and weapon smithing.

So- does blacksmithing count as one mastery that automatically allows you the mastery of both weapon and armor smithing- or do they each use up a mastery on their own?

Why are they all three on the artisan class list, if they all don't count as separate masterys of their own?

Comments

• Options
    We got no clue. Intrepid hasn't given any real info on the artisan system.
  • Options
    Ah, I figured- just wasn't sure if there was a reason for how it is setup in the wiki- I guess its probably just to include them all since we don't know yet
  • Options
    Ace1234 wrote: »
    So- does blacksmithing count as one mastery that automatically allows you the mastery of both weapon and armor smithing- or do they each use up a mastery on their own?

I think - heavy emphasis on think- they each use up a mastery of their own. I could just be confused though. You might check the wiki if you haven't already. Or look up one of Narc's videos. He has covered a lot about crafting.

I usually like to have a blacksmith character, and I remember being in a quandary about having to choose between weapon or armor.
  • Options
    I could see it making sense with blacksmithing allowing you to make various tools, parts, widgets out of metals but needing separate weapon or armor smiting to craft those.
  • Options
    yeah, I imagine it's likely as @Not_A_Lizard said , Weaponsmith = only weapons, armour smith only armour, blacksmithing tools, trinkets, furniture? and/or other things made of metal outside of weps and armour. I imagine we may also see a Gold Smithing/White Smithing for accessory crafting, assuming that isn't captured under jewel crafting
    2edh26ackfsa.png
    The Wolves of Verra
    are recruiting: https://discord.gg/Rt8G3sNYac
  • Options
    They be seperated for balance otherwise blacksmithing becomes OP compared to other crafting profession since they can make both weapons and armor which is full gear for somone who uses heavier armor and martial weapon.
    Like tailor can only make cloth armor
    Leatherworker only makes leather armor
    Blacksmithing can make Metal armor and most weapons so yeah balance wise this will be seperated into armor smithing and weaponsmithing masteries GW2 also does thing along with a a bunch of other MMO's
  • Options
    Power can be moved to Processing [Smelting] with the Real World Parallel of:
    Alloy suitable for weapon vs armor. Certain mechanical properties are more suited for certain kinds of weapons and armor. This opens up weapon/armor grade range which is its own kind of balance.

Part of Armory is the padding on the inside and some layering which may be its own sort of expertise though so it makes sense I guess.