Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

the homeless in AoC

JakemanJakeman Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited September 2022 in General Discussion
do you think people who dont belong to any nodes will be looked downed upon? if workbenches are ganna be locked to citizens of nodes that means nodeless players will probably have to be gatherers to make any money and are you ganna let some dirty nodeless player pick your god damn flowers? i dont fucking think so

Comments

• Options
    JakemanJakeman Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2022

• Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2022
    i could totally see a nomadic gatherer class of citizen eventuating, out of almost certain necessity.

I dont doubt there'll be gathers that sell to trade merchants who export for profits but i can see people who are seeking maximum profits roaming the land and taking advantage of seasonal goods in every biome as they go.

And every city they visit using those profits to improve gear and make repairs from the craftsmen theyre selling too
    du2ljngonyuq.png
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited September 2022
    This is exactly what the first few weeks of gameplay are going to look like for me. Well... with a lot of hand drawn maps too...
    Natasha wrote: »
    i could totally see a nomadic gatherer class of citizen eventuating, out of almost certain necessity.

I dont doubt there'll be gathers that sell to trade merchants who export for profits but i can see people who are seeking maximum profits roaming the land and taking advantage of seasonal goods in every biome as they go.

And every city they visit using those profits to improve gear and make repairs from the craftsmen theyre selling too

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

the text color you use is awful to read in a mobile device since the mobile version of the wiki is all white :/
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    my guess is, long term, the buffs from the cities would be too enticing to miss out on unless you doing it for personal challenge later on
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    the text color you use is awful to read in a mobile device since the mobile version of the wiki is all white :/
    That's the point of that color.
  • Options
    I believe the idea is that communities of people will congregate around certain areas of the continents. I know I will most likely live near a bay/ocean port, as I plan on engaging in the naval experience for the most part of the game. I hope to find a Node thats near a port so as to build a temporary home(probably not a homestead), and then just use the instanced home to store items im not actively carrying.

Homes, and where you choose to live, are going to be critically tied into the economy of the game. Games like EVE Online are great examples of people selecting specific regions of the map in order to gain an advantage(strategic, resources, trade hub, etc.).
    jlyhubmxm6w1.png

Founder and Guild Leader of -Providence-
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »

Why would you willingly use the light mode fmbcck001dz5.gif

Just switch it to full desktop site so you're not blinding yourself.
    du2ljngonyuq.png
  • Options
    I really, really want there to be a time-based achievement/title for people that spend x amount of time "homeless". Vagrant would fit I believe. That or Hobo.
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    I really, really want there to be a time-based achievement/title for people that spend x amount of time "homeless". Vagrant would fit I believe. That or Hobo.

Are you vying for a ‘hobo’ title so you can be a hobo murder hobo?

I’m on to you. 🧐

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »

I’m on to you. 🧐

yes-jack-reacher.gif

5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »

I’m on to you. 🧐

yes-jack-reacher.gif

Hobo, Murderhobo the murder hobo.
    du2ljngonyuq.png
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited September 2022
    Since player housing will be scarce, people without any citizenship will definitely exist. I would like to know the numbers for maximum and minimum available housing in the various stages of a node, so that we can have an idea of how much housing will be available on a server. I know that there are a lot of variables and conditions to find this number, but I'm sure Intrepid had to calculate this at some point to reach their desired number before Alpha 2 (or whichever testing phase housing will be available). I'm expecting a fully developed server to generally have at least (mayors never build extra apartments/houses) 4k available player housing and at most (mayors always build as many extra apartments/houses as possible) 7k. I guess the number of freeholds will probably be a constant, likely no more than 1k per server I would imagine.

Being a citizen of a big Node will likely be a condition to eventually mastering any crafting or processing profession, but I believe that not being a citizen of any Node will not be a big deal for the average player. So I hope that you'll be able to become rich and buy the best gear available without ever owning a house.

Regardless of being a citizen or not, unless you really want to be a nomad, you'll probably have a main region or node(s) where you keep most of your bank anyway, so iirc not being a citizen only means you can't join any Node sieges.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The max housing will, in part, depend on the mayor's decision to build (or not build) additional apartments. I think that the houses will be fixed per node level. Freeholds I am not sure about. We are told that there will be lots of places to put them, but I am not sure if the node sets the number of freehold permits that are issued. Does anyone know?
  • Options
    PercimesPercimes Member
    edited September 2022
    Most alts will probably be homeless, because why bother to divide you limited home ownership between different characters? Probably only access rights/privileges to your main character's house. The keys but not the deed.

"A player may own up to 1 of each type of housing simultaneously.[5] Static housing and Apartments are one per server; Freeholds are one per account."

Having a home is one way to access citizenship, so many alts won't even be citizen of a node, at least officially.

Edit: Just checked the wiki a little better... "Only one citizenship may be declared per account, per server.[24][25][26] This may have changed to one citizenship per account.[27]"

So probably no alts will be citizen.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    Percimes wrote: »
    Edit: Just checked the wiki a little better... "Only one citizenship may be declared per account, per server.[24][25][26] This may have changed to one citizenship per account.[27]"

To me that sounds like exactly the opposite. As in, all alts on one account on one server are the citizens of the same node and cannot be citizens of anywhere else.

"Your account is bound to one declared citizenship per server, which means that if you have two alts and your main character on one server you may only be a citizen of one node between those three... "
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    The max housing will, in part, depend on the mayor's decision to build (or not build) additional apartments. I think that the houses will be fixed per node level. Freeholds I am not sure about. We are told that there will be lots of places to put them, but I am not sure if the node sets the number of freehold permits that are issued. Does anyone know?

Freeholds i think are static locations around the world so theyll be limited however there is a reason to build apartment in city over other building since more citizens would mean more popel invested in the node and potentially more defenders when seiged and what not
  • Options
    Most alts will probably be homeless, because why bother to divide you limited home ownership between different characters? Probably only access rights/privileges to your main character's house. The keys but not the deed.

"A player may own up to 1 of each type of housing simultaneously.[5] Static housing and Apartments are one per server; Freeholds are one per account."

Having a home is one way to access citizenship, so many alts won't even be citizen of a node, at least officially.

im pretty sure citizen ship is account bound so all your alts on the same server will be same citizen, they dont want people having alts in different nodes so u can jump between which one suites you and what not on your server.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2022
    No alts on the same server will be a citizen. Probably. Yes.

• Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited September 2022
    Except people whose alts are on different accounts and multiclient/multibox, but it's probably not worth it unless you buy it as an investment.

I wonder if you'll be able to rent your properties, hopefully not 😂
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Jakeman wrote: »
    do you think people who dont belong to any nodes will be looked downed upon? if workbenches are ganna be locked to citizens of nodes that means nodeless players will probably have to be gatherers to make any money and are you ganna let some dirty nodeless player pick your god damn flowers? i dont fucking think so

Short answer is yes. Get off my lawn...
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @BaSkA13 Interestingly, housing can be sold. Buy a small house in a level 3 node for a small amount of gold then help the node grow to a metro and sell your mansion for a HUGE amount of gold.
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    @BaSkA13 Interestingly, housing can be sold. Buy a small house in a level 3 node for a small amount of gold then help the node grow to a metro and sell your mansion for a HUGE amount of gold.

I'm aware of being able to sell housing, investing will be interesting, even with the property taxes. I'm still wondering about renting though.
  • Options
    the big question; can we live on board a ship?
  • Options
    The question is why shouldn't you belong to a node?