Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Weapon swap delay

The goal is to give more agency to
Weapon swapping in the Ashes of Creation MMORPG will be subject to a cooldown period following any damage taken or done by the player.[190][191]

I found this on the wiki, however I feel it works in contrast to enabling the player to actually have freedom and a lack of restraint.

The goal is to give more agency to the player and achieve a more fluid flow of combat with greater mobility when using abilities.[16][17]

The above excerpt was also on the wiki. How do you guys feel about have a weapon swap delay?

Comments

• Options
    Settite wrote: »
    Weapon swapping in the Ashes of Creation MMORPG will be subject to a cooldown period following any damage taken or done by the player.[190][191]
    That second reference then says "it's gonna be a few seconds". To me that's completely fine. And as Jeff says there, it's gonna be about the combo system flowing properly, so that you couldn't switch a weapon out during the animation of the previous ability.
  • Options
    I don't like games where you can "dual wield" and keep swapping between weapons during fights. For that reason, I like a cooldown of 15s or something after combat to be able to swap any gear/weapon.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    I'm fine with a few seconds, that is plenty of time.
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited September 2022
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    I don't like games where you can "dual wield" and keep swapping between weapons during fights. For that reason, I like a cooldown of 15s or something after combat to be able to swap any gear/weapon.

there should be a cooldown but the swap itself shouldnt feel clunky (Crowfall had the issue with the ranger who was designed to go in and out of melee and range combat) however it felt clunky as to do and unresponsive i think they could of fixed that by having weapon swap button animation cancel your attack to swap (If something get animation canceled in the swap the dmg wont go through either ofcourse).

If it doesnt swap when u hit a button cause mid animation player feel like they swapped but they havant so they hit there next attack button and then there stuck again in another animation which realy fks u being stuck in range tray due to swap is unresponsive with somone punching u in the face :P CC also blocked ur weapon swap too which also didnt help since it causes the same issue of thinking u swapped but u havant.

Some ranger specilisation should have much lower cooldown on swaps than others, say Ranger/Ranger = 15 second CD where Ranger/Warrior might have a 5 second abnd there kit designed around going in and out of melee just an example
    Not every class should have 2 weapon that can be equiped i feel either
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2022
    I assume that the wiki is talking about swapping weapons from your bag, not swapping between your range and melee weapon.

I don't want to have to carry a variety of weapons in my bag and swap between them. If weapons give different bonuses then swapping based on the situation gives you an advantage and if it's easy to do in combat, then it's a mandatory part of combat.

To my knowledge, they haven't told us of any cooldown or restrictions on swapping between your range and melee weapons. If anything, they have said the opposite and told us that you will automatically swap to your range weapon for ranged attacks.
  • Options
    To my knowledge, they haven't told us of any cooldown or restrictions on swapping between your range and melee weapons. If anything, they have said the opposite and told us that you will automatically swap to your range weapon for ranged attacks.
    Definitely hope this gets cleared up during this next dev stream.
  • Options
    Ace1234Ace1234 Member
    edited September 2022
    Quick weapon swapping during combat is awesome imo-

Its literally no different than a weapon/class having different abilities and attacks they can use at any time. Its the same thing as that, except these tools are broken into two different weapon assets, and it requires you to hit a button to access them independently.

Fluidly being able to swap means more variety in the combat, and you have to account for that when fighting against someone, just like you have to account for the different attack types and abilities they have.

The ability to chain attacks together by swapping between weapons can be accounted for in the design by either limiting or encouraging it, so judging how "effective" it is during combat is not a reason to dislike the system as a whole, but more a reason to make tweaks to the balance instead.

If they don't want you to be able to do OP weapon swap combos that lock enemys into hitstun, they can either tweak the properties and values of the attacks themselves, or just limit your ability to do follow up attacks from varying weapons after you make contact.

It sounds like they are taking the latter approach, since I read that the cooldown happens once damage is applied after making contact- which should make it not OP, while still giving you the variety of being able to quick swap at any other point during a fight.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Definitely hope this gets cleared up during this next dev stream.

rangers will be the oen that swaps the weapons most i feel and since it a ranger livestream to a degree wemight with any luck
  • Options
    FohlenbratenFohlenbraten Member
    edited September 2022
    If ranged weapons have a minimum range as expected, I don't want to have a long cooldown to switch from ranged to melee or vice versa... maybe 1 second would be fine in my opinion... switching weapons from inventory needs to have a longer cooldown...in my opinion
    [Fleo Verum] Carolus Dynamicus - Py'rai - Rogue+Fighter
  • Options
    Thx for the responses. I could have been mistaken and the weapon swapping may be referring to going in your bag and switching as opposed to the weapon on your back bar so to speak. I hope that's the case. It'd suck to be a ranger and there be a 5sec cooldown where you can't switch your weapon (considering rangers have a minimum distance they can attack from. ) you would be a sitting duck and someone would be able to freely wail on you for 5 secs.
  • Options
    SapiverenusSapiverenus Member
    edited September 2022
    I think rather than a few seconds without being able to switch it should just be a few seconds to switch altogether, and chance to drop or simple push-back to equip change when damaged and interrupts might reset or drop it depending on the nature of what's going on.

Different times for different weapons; make dropping it instant and pulling one out slow depending on the weapon.

Putting a large weapon away or pulling it out should be slow; 2.5s put away, 1.75s pull out for example. Putting a bow away is fast, .6s put away .6s pull out. Dagger .4s put away, .3s pull out. 1h Sword 1s put away, .7s pull out.
    Shield should be harder to drop and put away or put on. 2s drop, 3s put away, 3s put on.
  • Options
    If ranged weapons have a minimum range as expected, I don't want to have a long cooldown to switch from ranged to melee or vice versa... maybe 1 second would be fine in my opinion... switching weapons from inventory needs to have a longer cooldown...in my opinion

Makes sense
  • Options
    Ace1234Ace1234 Member
    edited September 2022
    Oh i thought we were talking about the already equipped weapons- I personally don't think there should be a cooldown at all unless its needed to prevent OP combos like inifinite stun locks and such.

I think having a decent amount of weapons to fluidly swap between regardless of whether its from equipped weapons or out of the inventory- however I do think that regardless of how many weapons you have access to swap between, there needs to be a way of knowing what the enemy have access to swap to- so that way you have that information, otherwise it becomes too rng of what the enemy could be carrying with them.