Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Balancing RP

ChimeChime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
For those that are planning on RPing in game, how do you plan on balancing that with the game play?

I know in other MMO's everything is stagnant so if I want to stand around for hours role-playing, it's not going to change anything.

But Ashes will be different, we could lose nodes, progression, etc. So I'm curious how others will be juggling.
"Bravery only means something to those who are afraid of death."

Comments

• LordXpLordXp Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Role play is about adapting and being able to figure out what your character would do in situations. So getting into their mind and really knowing who they are should make it easier to know how you'll go about a situation like that.
    fajah55rhetm.jpg

• ChimeChime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    LordXp wrote: »
    Role play is about adapting and being able to figure out what your character would do in situations. So getting into their mind and really knowing who they are should make it easier to know how you'll go about a situation like that.

Yeah I know that, I was speaking more about us as players. I know some people will prioritize RPing over any gameplay vs others will only RP in Discord servers. I was just curious how everyone else was going to focus their time.

• AlruaAlrua Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dynamicly, hopefully there is a manner in which Intrep can let other RPers know who is who and if you cross paths while playing you are able to have a small RP interactions. And a server all the RPers will nest on.

But I suspect folks will find a node to find refuge in.
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Given the interest in roleplaying, I am doubting that a single unofficial RP server will be enough.
  • It's going to be very situational, and it will involve a lot of improv. Could be RPing and then your character has to call it a night, retire to their apartment, but then when you log in 2 days later the city is a legit ruin and it's being picked clean as an open PvP FFA zone. Or far more awkwardly, your Py'rai town turned into a Vek City because a different race contributed the most to its next level of development!

Overall I think it's important not to ignore anything that happens. If you're roleplaying and some random bored guy kills 2 of you even when you have no-pvp mode on, then that DID happen. If your node is destroyed and a bunch of dwarfs plopped the 70th economic node on the map there, then that is the lore of the world. So if you ask me, I'm planning on making characters with VERY loose roots, meaning no backstories of much importance, focusing more on who they are at present and then letting them change/resist with the world as I roleplay. That said, RP is a group effort and if nobody else wants to acknowledge that someone in the RP got killed by a random player, I can't really argue unless I wanna risk drama.
  • ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    RP is gameplay, I would even argue it is gameplay in its purest form.
    With that said. It depends on my character, I may have someone that doesn't or doesn't know how to fight. As such, when a city is under siege, I might opt to aid the fighters, as part of my character's story. On an OOC basis I will still probably fight if I have a stake in the game. (namely an actual house)

Otherwise, I'll do what people irl do, seek sanctuary elsewhere.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• AlruaAlrua Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ariatras wrote: »
    With that said. It depends on my character, I may have someone that doesn't or doesn't know how to fight. As such, when a city is under siege, I might opt to aid the fighters, as part of my character's story. On an OOC basis I will still probably fight if I have a stake in the game. (namely an actual house)

I am in this boat as being a traveling Py'rai giving healing potions and tending to wounds. etc
  • ChimeChime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    ariatras wrote: »

I like this mentality. I'll be playing a couple different characters, but I will want to protect my freehold within the node. Agreeing with you on the 'gameplay is the purest form of RP' because I'll be my character and want to defend my home. I'll also be traveling a lot, so I plan on being IC even if I'm out in the world.

Would be nice if we had some sort of indicator to show we're open to RP if anyone randomly wanted to come up to us.
  • AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited September 2023
    Chime wrote: »
    For those that are planning on RPing in game, how do you plan on balancing that with the game play?

I know in other MMO's everything is stagnant so if I want to stand around for hours role-playing, it's not going to change anything.

But Ashes will be different, we could lose nodes, progression, etc. So I'm curious how others will be juggling.

Welp ! The very Knowledge of what happens when You don't try your best to defend your little City (Node) is what will make People PROBABLY want to move and go to safe their City from being destroyed by either other Players, or powerful NPC Monsters or Troops. x'D

I could stay around for Y~EARS in the Cathedral District in Stormwind in World of Warcraft,
    and i know it would N~EVER happen anything, that could threaten to destroy dear Stormwind City.

But Ashes of Creation ... ... ? ;)

Where i hear You actually ' CAN ' lose your City ? Sometimes likely even will, even if you defend it and the Forces that attack are just to strong ? Getting overrun like in Planetside 2 by to many or to powerful Opponents ??

HELL JEAH, Please give me this. Please give me "exactly" this. This Feeling of Realism. This Feeling that the Ingame World is ALIVE and there can actually good or bad things happen,

also bad things getting ' WORSE ' than just bad, if the Players decide to stand still when they could take Action, When they "should" take Action.

A Game World with such Live-Events ? Where to have to subscribe - sacrifice my Soul : and enter the Realm of eternal Strife and never-ending Challenges ??

When i looked at Avernus in Baldurs Gate Three,
    i wasn't filled with Fear or Horror. I was filled with Envy. >:)
    0blpmydr0qkc.png