Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

PvP Bounty?

Stormborn_LuciferStormborn_Lucifer Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
u7lokzdgje0t.jpeg
Thoughts??

Comments

• Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited September 2022
    Persinally I'd love a system to that, but it can't be related to the corruption system as to not incentivize griefing.

Personally I'd attach it to the Caravan System and logically it would fit as well.
    Why wouldn't bandits stealing cargo have bountys? Attacking caravans should have some risk involved either way, which is nissing right now.
  • Options
    Could also see it as a good mechanic for sieges. Make either side try going for a lot of kills on one specific dude instead of achieving their main goal, especially if the bounty is big.
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NiKr wrote: »
    Could also see it as a good mechanic for sieges. Make either side try going for a lot of kills on one specific dude instead of achieving their main goal, especially if the bounty is big.

I feel like this is a bad mechanic. You never want to make the personal incentives of a player conflict with the overall incentives of their team or you just cause a general social breakdown over time, not to mention the logistical breakdown that degrades the overall experience of the event for all involved.
  • Options
    SongRune wrote: »
    I feel like this is a bad mechanic. You never want to make the personal incentives of a player conflict with the overall incentives of their team or you just cause a general social breakdown over time, not to mention the logistical breakdown that degrades the overall experience of the event for all involved.
    But that's exactly why I want this :D Bring internal drama to the bigger guilds. What if a whole party or two from a big guild decide to go for a juicy bounty instead of doing what they were told? The GL might kick them and now the guild is a bit weaker. This sounds to me like the perfect "anti-zerg" mechanic for sieges and even for the overall game.
  • Options
    Or how about mayors putting bounties on guild leaders .
    The bigger the guild , the bigger the bounty
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Ultima Online Bounty System was like this.

You got to see the top 10 known PKer and their bounty.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    How about escalating bounties, meaning if someone is killed within
    • X period of time, the bounty is A
    • Y period of time, the bounty is B (a choice to increase or decrease)
    • High bounty to kills shortly after the order, and low if late.
    • Or raising bounty if someone manages to not be killed
    Bounty is has a number of times a player can be killed before the bounty ceases
  • Options
    St_Nyack wrote: »
    Or how about mayors putting bounties on guild leaders .
    The bigger the guild , the bigger the bounty

Horrible idea @St_Nyack

Mayors would put maximum bounties on their friends, then let another friend cash it and split the money 50:50
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited September 2022
    A bounty for killing players funded by other players' gold? Sure thing, go ahead.

A bounty for killing players funded by Node coffers? Nope, it'll be abused to give money from the Node's coffers to players.

At the end of the day I think that bounties are really cool in One Piece, but in an MMORPG (where you can die more than once) it's quite pointless. "Yay I killed Sword_Master69 and got 100k gold!!!", 7 minutes later that player is already back doing whatever he wants again. The reward or the bounty for killing (red) players will be getting their loot and possibly dropping their gear, not getting gold like in One Piece.

IMO any gold bounties will only be used for fun or to grief other players, that's about it.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    Persinally I'd love a system to that, but it can't be related to the corruption system as to not incentivize griefing.

Personally I'd attach it to the Caravan System and logically it would fit as well.
    Why wouldn't bandits stealing cargo have bountys? Attacking caravans should have some risk involved either way, which is nissing right now.

I think this would work nicely. I also agree we can’t incentivize griefing.
    Maybe we could also have it affect pirates as well. When they attack ships.
  • Options
    I think player-made bounties make more sense. Im getting grieffed as a gatherer by one dude. Put a bounty on him. It comes from my money, not the nodes. Make it to where you can only out bounties on reds so nit griefing joe blow because you feel like it. And have a bounty board to showcase the player bounties.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    I love the collaboration on ideas around the bounty system! Keep em' coming! :)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »

This sounds like the beginnings of an incredibly good idea!

What remains to be solved is how the consequences present themselves. Once you become the pirate king, what happens? Maybe you get marked as target (basically purple) for bounty hunters until hunted down every time you succesfully raid a caravan? Or a periodic manhunt event where the top X bandits all get marked for some time (how to deal with timezones/logging off?). Or maybe just social penalty where there are no system penalties but everyone can just see you're the top thieving scum?

This thing does need to exist in some form though.
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Player bounty still has its issue.

What prevents me from griefing you all day long, gathering all the bounties in the world and then having my friend kill me to collect the money?

Bounty chasing me - if my friend is with me - if we feel like I cant get away, kill me quick b4 the bounty hunter gets my head.

that same friend is also my eyes - find me targets to kill so I can gank you.

In terms of solution - i dont even know if it is possible - but only bounty hunters can collect heads only.
    And if bounty hunters are near a Red or a Grey player for X amount of time and not dealing X amount of dmg - there should be a flag system to prevent that bounty from securing a head then. Thus this eliminates coordinating with a friend who's a bounty hunter travelling with the griefer / pker.

Friend Bounty Hunter is within range of PKer by 1-2km distance, hasn't dealt 30% dmg within 5 minutes is now locked out. This allow the friend bounty hunter having to have a large distance to able to secure a friendly kill and allows other bounty hunters who are legit looking to collect a head time to close in and fight.

I hope that made some sense.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I see a lot of good ideas in here. Including the one were someone mentioned becoming a "Pirate King". Top spot of the bounty newsletter. Imagine someone constantly being hunted down, and having to form a crew to keep themselves alive with people who could possibly kill them at any moment, and steal the reward for themselves.
    I think also with a system like this we should be able to collect the heads of the bounty victims. A drop off the enemy player that has the bounty. Only when the head is collected can it go and be turned in for the reward. If we have the bounties player made, the stakes can always grow higher via the players that pitch in for the bounty. Maybe make it so that there is a treasure chest within the nodes that the players can pitch gold into, and when the head is brought to the chest the reward can be collected.
    By the way this turn in the head for the reward could also become a capture the flag of sorts. A natural creation of this system. If someone sees a bounty victim drop, they will know that there is a head that dropped with it. Creating a system within its self where someone can steal the bounty reward.
    I see many people listing the faults that can arise from such systems, sure there can be many faults within any system, but I have faith we can figure out a solution together!
  • Options
    The issue is that the bounty system only applies to actively Corrupt players.

Once they've lost that corruption they no longer have a bounty on them.

In that case, rather than the bounties being a ranking, it could be a matter of total PKs over the toon's history, or PvP skills.

Then in a siege, or war, the highest ranked players are chosen as "champions" and you get buffs or debuffs or other benefits for defeating them or them defeating more of your enemies.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    IskiabIskiab Member
    edited September 2022
    Asgerr wrote: »
    The issue is that the bounty system only applies to actively Corrupt players.

Once they've lost that corruption they no longer have a bounty on them.

In that case, rather than the bounties being a ranking, it could be a matter of total PKs over the toon's history, or PvP skills.

Then in a siege, or war, the highest ranked players are chosen as "champions" and you get buffs or debuffs or other benefits for defeating them or them defeating more of your enemies.

I was reading through and saw your post, which reminded me of something that I dislike in most PvP games. Mechanics where the wining faction gets a buff never work well, it causes players to jump to the winning faction.

AoC won't have factions, but bounties could be a way to incentivize players to PvP who usually don't. Have a game bounty system where the most successful PvPers have a bounty placed on them, it will encourage players to go after them and maybe PvP when they wouldn't normally be interested.

It would have the added advantage of the bounty being like a leaderboard where players can compete for the highest bounty on their head.

It will also give a good reason to not join the strongest node/guild/however people want to organize to ride stronger players coattails. You want to incentivize players to go after and not join succesful groups.
  • Options
    Genuine question: Has ANY game ever had a truly good bounty system?

I've heard of Ultima Online's, but I never played it myself. I only ask because, especially when in-game gold gets involved, the path to corruption is quick. Im genuinely curious how a Bounty System in an MMO can be implemented WITHOUT being abused.
    jlyhubmxm6w1.png

Founder and Guild Leader of -Providence-
  • Options
    Ace1234Ace1234 Member
    edited September 2022
    Cool idea- love the world of one piece- if they can replicate the feeling of the bounty aspect in the one piece world, it would be awesome.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    LordPax wrote: »
    Genuine question: Has ANY game ever had a truly good bounty system?

I've heard of Ultima Online's, but I never played it myself. I only ask because, especially when in-game gold gets involved, the path to corruption is quick. Im genuinely curious how a Bounty System in an MMO can be implemented WITHOUT being abused.

Has any of the recent MMOs not let you down in anyway?
    Just because other games have not had good bounty systems, doesn’t stop Ashes from creating something that works, is fun, and is engaging to the player base.
    A bounty system will allow people that love PvP to have more purpose, and more risk behind their actions. A bounty system will give purpose for PvE players that don’t normally involve them selves with PvP to actually engage in PvP.
    Steven brings up Risk versus Reward when talking about this game. What’s more Risk versus Reward than a proper bounty system?