Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

An LFG system fit for Ashes

I don't know if this is similar to what Intrepid already plans to do so sorry in advance if I'm just saying something irrelevant. My version of LFG to fit ashes would be a local system, not a server system. Reserve for either an individual node LFG system or a biome-based LFG system. The best case scenario for me would be to have the LFG system be per tavern but that might be too much. So the way it would work is that players must be inside a tavern to access an LFG billboard, kind of like what you see in a bunch of Netflix series. The moment a player leaves the tavern if they are a member of a group that is not completely filled and closed to any additional joins they get auto-kicked from that group. If you're the person who posted for a group/the leader and you leave the tavern your post gets automatically removed from the billboard. This way players are not only forced to be within the node with the activity they want to do but they are forced to gather at a similar location where they can interact with each other. This also means that there is a priority use case for taverns. Much like how crafting will be necessary, a tavern will be a necessity not just something you do to pass time. This method of an LFG system still provides a way for people to socialize. However, the socialization won't be randomly out in the world hoping to find someone who won't kill you but help you. All LFG stand for is "looking for group". If you're arguing against this method yet you are a part of a guild with a discord which is another form of LFG then that is pretty hypocritical. A tavern-based billboard LFG allows people to group up in-game instead of using a discord-based LFG or worse having to use a 3rd party app/website which Intrepid has no control over. Again LFG just means "looking for group" which is what people do in discord. A guild is just another form of LFG. This form of LFG also doesn't take away people's ability to randomly meet someone out in the world. How likely is someone going to go to a tavern to find a group just to kill some mobs? But if you are at that location and it turns out the monsters are a bit tough then it wouldn't hurt to ask in local chat. However, the number of people spamming "looking for group" in local chat will be negligible and local chat won't turn into another form of LFG.

Comments

• Options
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Taverns#Bulletin_boards

I'm against the "make them sit in the tavern while they wait" part of your suggestion, but outside of that - yes, Intrepid is already planning to have this mechanic.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Taverns#Bulletin_boards

I'm against the "make them sit in the tavern while they wait" part of your suggestion, but outside of that - yes, Intrepid is already planning to have this mechanic.

I put that part there because I was seeing a lot of people hate on an LFG system because they want to talk to random people in-game and form a group. I'm glad that they are doing this. I checked Ashes wiki for LFG and didn't find anything.
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    In General, I am against a LFG system, HOWEVER

I can kinda accept a LFG system in a science metro node and it's influencing nodes.

The same way, I am against world/server chat - cause it just doesn't make sense "realistically" that everyone can "telepathic" speak to one another. But I can see that being possible via science node.

Guild chat can occur after unlocking level 2 or more, having "speaking stones" or w/e.

overall, atleast make an attempt to explain things.

but back to LFG - I am in favor of a wait in tavern or area. This was the way back in the days, it creates Social interaction and constant Social communications which is imho very important.
    I want to recognize names and remember names. See who stands out constantly forming groups as we level up.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    LordBlank wrote: »
    I put that part there because I was seeing a lot of people hate on an LFG system because they want to talk to random people in-game and form a group. I'm glad that they are doing this. I checked Ashes wiki for LFG and didn't find anything.
    The talking part would still be there. Same as it would be with a "shout in chat" method. You'd still pm the person and would still need to talk to them. While tavern games will most likely keep people entertained while they wait for the group to fill out, I feel like making them stay in the tavern would make the mechanic a "feel bad" one rather than a good one.
  • Options
    novercalis wrote: »
    In General, I am against a LFG system, HOWEVER

I can kinda accept a LFG system in a science metro node and it's influencing nodes.

The same way, I am against world/server chat - cause it just doesn't make sense "realistically" that everyone can "telepathic" speak to one another. But I can see that being possible via science node.

Guild chat can occur after unlocking level 2 or more, having "speaking stones" or w/e.

overall, atleast make an attempt to explain things.

but back to LFG - I am in favor of a wait in tavern or area. This was the way back in the days, it creates Social interaction and constant Social communications which is imho very important.
    I want to recognize names and remember names. See who stands out constantly forming groups as we level up.

For the most part yes. The reason I don't want it to be exclusive to a science node is that I want it to be local per node not region. Based on how the node system might work there will be different quests per node and I'm not sure a military node quest will be the same as a science node. Also, a tavern isn't something that is exclusive to science nodes. There is no technological advancement in making a bulletin board. I don't mind only having local chat and getting rid of global chat or biome chat. I'm just not 100% sure about removing guild chat because if that happens they will just talk on discord. I do like the unlocking of guild chat though.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    LordBlank wrote: »
    The talking part would still be there. Same as it would be with a "shout in chat" method. You'd still pm the person and would still need to talk to them. While tavern games will most likely keep people entertained while they wait for the group to fill out, I feel like making them stay in the tavern would make the mechanic a "feel bad" one rather than a good one.

I'm ok with them being within the radius of the tavern. My point for being in the tavern was because of how solid the characters will be with each other. So since a tavern can physically be full, that will also push people to freeholds that are used as taverns instead of just going to towns.