Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Summoner (and other Archetype) Teasers

I know we are getting the Ranger Reveal at the end of this month, but a small teaser for other classes would be awesome. Heck, even if they added the caveat (This might not be final/might change) or something that would be OK.

And it doesn't have to be a full reveal or anything. Maybe some screenshots, a few abilities descriptions, or a 30 second clip... something... ANYTHING to give us an idea of the other Archetypes consist of that might be months and months away from being revealed.

The only class I am interested in is the Summoner, and there is almost no information on it other than it can summon things... lol. An idea of what some of the summons might look like, a handful of abilities to ponder over, anything would tide me over until the full reveal. Come on IS, give us a bone!

The only thing stopping me from getting an alpha key package and going full-in, is not knowing how they are going to make the Summoner and its subclasses as this is the only archetype that really appeals to me.

Comments

• Options
    Would you like it if Summoner had looser definition and was basically a bit more evil, extracting, Void, as well as summoning things? Such as a Summoner sub-Mage summoning semi-elementals such as Dark Goop to dissolve things, that consumes things?
    Summoner sub-Summoner being a Devourer, creating Blackholes as a long cooldown ability and whatever else such as summoning more Devouring things (maybe Shambling Horrors), or whatever fits the #1 Devouring theme?
    ONLY summoning is just not much to work with. Having many low-powered abilities, a grounded Summoner archetype is something I want but it helps to have some inspiration or physical concepts (extraction, devour, void) to guide design/ development.

cteejbpoi6mf.jpg

Devs need help making a good game lol
  • Options
    While you are coming from a good place that most players are at, bear in mind that summoner and bard will most likely be last to release.

Alpha 2 will be a test server that will run from inception until game launch(even becoming the PTR server post-launch). There will be regular updates throughout the time it's live, including, but not limited to, adding classes/races. It's entirely possible that A2 starts with 4 classes. And it's entirely possible the initial A2 release looks completely different than final release.

That said, you're not alone. I, too, want to play as summoner(it's looking to be one of the most popular classes), but we just don't know enough. The Intrepid team is large enough to have parallel development. While ranger is being showcased this month, it doesn't mean the other classes AREN'T being worked on in the background. So...have faith!

All in due time :smile:
    jlyhubmxm6w1.png

Founder and Guild Leader of -Providence-
  • Options
    Do yall trust any Dev team in existence to create 64 or even 8 classes; on top of a bunch of Weapon Skills? With 9 Races or whatever it is? In an MMO?

Genuine Question.
  • Options
    Do yall trust any Dev team in existence to create 64 or even 8 classes; on top of a bunch of Weapon Skills? With 9 Races or whatever it is? In an MMO?

Genuine Question.
    Some of those 64 will inevitably be garbage. Can't balance them all, that's true enough..

And that's fine. Archeage's class system survived alright. So did Rift's. Of course there will be meta classes, especially for specific purposes – one suspects that a Fighter/Mage is going to be much easier to level than, say, a Bard/Ranger.

It's going to be a road fraught with patches. And that's fine.
  • Options
    And what about creating them unique from one another and leaning into their theme in a more interesting way than "defense aura" on tank?
    Do you think they will all stick to class identity? Stuff like blink on Fighter with mage sub-spec is just over the top and simply violates the theme of Fighter; why not just make Fighter sub-Mage the "Weapon Master"? Master of Elements, now Master of Weapons?

It's just over the top and isn't leaning into class identity much at all.
  • Options
    BullvinneBullvinne Member
    edited September 2022
    LordPax wrote: »
    While you are coming from a good place that most players are at, bear in mind that summoner and bard will most likely be last to release.

Alpha 2 will be a test server that will run from inception until game launch(even becoming the PTR server post-launch). There will be regular updates throughout the time it's live, including, but not limited to, adding classes/races. It's entirely possible that A2 starts with 4 classes. And it's entirely possible the initial A2 release looks completely different than final release.

That said, you're not alone. I, too, want to play as summoner(it's looking to be one of the most popular classes), but we just don't know enough. The Intrepid team is large enough to have parallel development. While ranger is being showcased this month, it doesn't mean the other classes AREN'T being worked on in the background. So...have faith!

All in due time :smile:

Stephen has said that all 8 archetypes would be ready before Alpha 2. Just not all secondary classes would be ready. https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Alpha-2 (its like the 9th or 10th bullet point)
  • Options
    BullvinneBullvinne Member
    edited September 2022
    Would you like it if Summoner had looser definition and was basically a bit more evil, extracting, Void, as well as summoning things? Such as a Summoner sub-Mage summoning semi-elementals such as Dark Goop to dissolve things, that consumes things?
    Summoner sub-Summoner being a Devourer, creating Blackholes as a long cooldown ability and whatever else such as summoning more Devouring things (maybe Shambling Horrors), or whatever fits the #1 Devouring theme?
    ONLY summoning is just not much to work with. Having many low-powered abilities, a grounded Summoner archetype is something I want but it helps to have some inspiration or physical concepts (extraction, devour, void) to guide design/ development.

cteejbpoi6mf.jpg

Devs need help making a good game lol

No, I am not wanting a looser definition of Summoner, I just want to know what they have planned for the Summoner. Heck a little information on all of the Archetypes would be fantastic and give us alot to chew on for the next few months.

Except for the 3 archetypes that were in Alpha 1 (which has likely changes a ton since then) and the Ranger reveal we are about to get, there is not a whole lot of information about the archetypes. Its the LACK of information I am talking about, not that I want things changed.

EDIT: I know there is information in the Wiki about the Summoner, but it is all very generic information. I read that whole page and all really get out of it is that Summoners will summon things, some summoners will summon many things, while others will only summon one stronger thing. As well as some proposed mobs that you can summon. All very generic info. Its akin to saying "The blue house is blue".
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2022
    Sapi just roam forum to have the game coming from what was promised into his own dream game... With the thought that the game will be bad if we don't follow his ideas...

As summoner lover on most MMORPG having such class, i am fine with it being about... summoning minions. also.

For the topic itself, teaser will come in due time but we have to be patient... the game has long months and years before release. and alpha2 will be where we will have all information we need, time to do feedback about it, etc :)
  • Options
    Stuff like blink on Fighter with mage sub-spec is just over the top and simply violates the theme of Fighter

Big disagree. It doesn't violate the theme of the fighter because it's still a fighter, only it's a fighter that wields magic.

Just play a fighter/fighter if you want a pure fighter.
  • Options
    SapiverenusSapiverenus Member
    edited September 2022
    @GrandHarfang
    Instead of a deeper Fighter you'll just get simple fighter with mage abilities though.
    And then a Mage that has fighter abilities.
    Instead of Depth V it's a Lateral move =
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @GrandHarfang
    Instead of a deeper Fighter you'll just get simple fighter with mage abilities though.

Isn't that a good thing, for all the people who want that?
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    It isn't unique and only suits the extreme niche that simply want a color pallete while removing the work of creating a better game.

As I see it it must be some attempt to build up a niche crabby and weakly bound pseudo-community?
  • Options
    It isn't unique and only suits the extreme niche that simply want a color pallete while removing the work of creating a better game.

Why am I not surprised that you are the 'restrictive design for player choice' stuff when it comes to this...

• Options
    What restricted player choice?
    If there is more game, deeper classes, there is more game. What you're saying makes no sense and I am thinking you are just attemping to be manipulative.
  • Options
    Do you just not want anyone else playing the game?
  • Options
    What restricted player choice?
    If there is more game, deeper classes, there is more game. What you're saying makes no sense and I am thinking you are just attemping to be manipulative.

Oof, it's like stereo...

But ok, for my clarity, are you saying that 'Simple Fighter With Mage Abilities' is not a worthwhile choice for an MMO?

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Now everyone is stuck with "simple fighter #999 in MMO #9"?
    Because you arbitrarily want to shut out people?
  • Options
    Now everyone is stuck with "simple fighter #999 in MMO #9"?
    Because you arbitrarily want to shut out people?

I'm sorry that I can't figure out if this is a yes or a no, and I really don't understand what it has to do with shutting out people.

Do you mind answering the question more specifically?

• Options
    Yes

Oof, it's like stereo...

But ok, for my clarity, are you saying that 'Deep Fighter Without Mage Abilities' is not a worthwhile choice for an MMO?
  • Options
    Yes

Oof, it's like stereo...

But ok, for my clarity, are you saying that 'Deep Fighter Without Mage Abilities' is not a worthwhile choice for an MMO?

Ok, thank you. I don't actually have a followup or counter to your opinion, I know people that consider it a very valid choice that they would like to have available and have in a way that they could customize it. I just didn't want to assume that you were opposed to it without being sure that's what you meant.

I hope those people get what they want and what they are used to.

I can accept that you don't want them to.

• Options
    Very polite post.

Yes I hope they don't get what they want and others get what they want.

Glad to have this summit