Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Clip of how to create a world people actually want to explore

WarthWarth Member
edited September 2022 in General Discussion
Moments like these, early in the game create the sense and wonder and excitement that will make player stick to the game for months to come.

Giving them a glimpse of what they might get to see is important.

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx3AVH-Xc8sJpLghmAjnys9onvfhGCppYi

Edit: How do you embed videos?

Comments

• Options
    CadacCadac Member
    edited September 2022
    @Warth Right click on the video itself, choose copy video URL.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2022
    They go in a <youtube> tag (use [ instead of < ) and use just the id. Haven't tried it with clips.

EDIT: Until now obviously.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited September 2022
    yeah clips dont seem to work.
  • Options
    Yeah, definitely hope to see the same kinda thing with the scorpion thing.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    (Ugh, can't stand Asmongold and people like him. Please don't bring Ashes to his attention as all these people do is hype a game up while it's in development and drag it through the mud once released no matter what the quality of the game is.)

But on topic, I do agree that NW does a good job of creating scenery that you want to go explore. In particular, I'm always looking at cliffs and mountains and thinking, "Wonder if I can climb up that," because of how the climbing system works. I'm 1000 hours in, finished every quest and such, and I'm still stumbling across hidden notes and such in weird spots that I've overlooked.

On the critical side, though, there has to be good reason to repeatedly revisit all the game's areas. I don't think Ashes will have much trouble with this given the PvP and nodes systems, but it's always good to think of more ways to make zones repeatedly enjoyable.
  • Options
    Ugh, can't stand Asmongold and people like him. Please don't bring Ashes to his attention as all these people do is hype a game up while it's in development and drag it through the mud once released no matter what the quality of the game is.
    Could you give an example where that "dragging" by Asmon was completely unjustified? Or are you just generalizing any and all streamers who play different games?
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited September 2022
    (Ugh, can't stand Asmongold and people like him. Please don't bring Ashes to his attention as all these people do is hype a game up while it's in development and drag it through the mud once released no matter what the quality of the game is.)

But on topic, I do agree that NW does a good job of creating scenery that you want to go explore. In particular, I'm always looking at cliffs and mountains and thinking, "Wonder if I can climb up that," because of how the climbing system works. I'm 1000 hours in, finished every quest and such, and I'm still stumbling across hidden notes and such in weird spots that I've overlooked.

On the critical side, though, there has to be good reason to repeatedly revisit all the game's areas. I don't think Ashes will have much trouble with this given the PvP and nodes systems, but it's always good to think of more ways to make zones repeatedly enjoyable.

Whether people like or hate asmon is neither here nor there to the discussion at hand.
    New World certainly is a flawed game at best, with a lot of systems being problematic, buggy or downright designed in a bad way, but there is certain things it does exceptionally well:
    1. The sound design easily is the best within the genre.
    2. The verticality and scale they incorporate into the zones create a sense of wonder, excitement and interest. It would be even better in a game like Ashes, that might feature combat and pvp opportunities utilizing the vertical design.
    3. Those sneak peaks of content seen in the clip add to the 2nd point.
    4. The unique zones and regions (while lacking in enemy diversity) clearly all of their own identity. At least the the later zones give each zone and biome a unique feel. Talking about Ebenscale, Reekwater, Mouringdale, Edengrove, Shattered Mountains and Brimstone especially.
    5. The handcrafted dungeons (design, graphics and identity wise)

The world itself is top tier, unfortunate that its filled with very subpar content.
    Nonetheless, i think there is a lot Intrepid can learn from it, both from its failures and from the things it did well.