Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Buffing XP?

I watched an alpha stream and something caught my attention. It looked like mobs aren't tagged by a player, and instead xp is distributed amongst everyone who contributed to killing the mob based on how much damage they did to the mob.

Is this the system throughout the entire game? What about xp for contributing by tanking, healing or buffing others by being a bard?

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    For clarity, you mean if people aren't in the same party?

Generally if you are in a party (which you probably would be if you were tanking, healing, or buffing) the EXP is just evenly split at the end.

As far as I remember from Alpha-1 (this might be bias because this is how it works in the game I play the most) you technically wouldn't need to actually do ANYTHING other than 'be in range'.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    As far as I remember from Alpha-1 (this might be bias because this is how it works in the game I play the most) you technically wouldn't need to actually do ANYTHING other than 'be in range'.
    Do hope it stays that way. Codependences push for socialization.
  • Options
    SapiverenusSapiverenus Member
    edited September 2022
    I'd prefer On Use XP. Still encourages cooperation; heal people get XP. Buff people get XP. Tank and get XP because Defending. Get more XP from taking more % health damage. Tune everything and people can do whatever they want lol.
    Could make it Attribute and Skill gain without Levels even being involved.

Tagging provides 5 - 10% XP or something as well. Somewhere on wiki.
  • Options
    I'd prefer On Use XP. Still encourages cooperation; heal people get XP. Buff people get XP. Tank and get XP because Defending. Get more XP from taking more % health damage. Tune everything and people can do whatever they want lol.
    Could make it Attribute and Skill gain without Levels even being involved.

Tagging provides 5 - 10% XP or something as well. Somewhere on wiki.

That other game I play also has this. In two places.

The first is that you have actual skills that level separately from character, and the character level only determines your current cap for a skill. Rising one 'character level' does NOTHING for the skills for a new player (additional explanation if you need it).

It also has a separate mode where you did get EXP just for 'doing things' moreso than for defeating enemies (because of what that mode is for, War Campaign simulation).

People cheesed it so hard almost immediately that despite about 4 efforts to fix it, they had to simply disallow it for most of the things and make it 'flat' so that you didn't get the skill points you normally get (described above) AND you didn't get exp for 'on use' of certain other things.

I do not believe this can work well enough, and they really tried. Perhaps for a more simplistic game type with constant reworks and patches, but while you're doing that, players who figured out how to get ahead of your patches either have to be nerfed back, or 'got ahead of others while you were fiddling with it'.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    @Azherae
    Incompetence lmao.
    How do you cheese outside of developer expectations or ability to patch it lol?
    It's one of the reasons I want all the more realistic balance and exhaustion though. So ON Use can be good.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    @Azherae
    Incompetence lmao.
    How do you cheese outside of developer expectations or ability to patch it lol?

Just for my clarity, you're saying that all competent developers should be able to out-think and predict all players?

Is this by definition? Like 'anyone who can't counts as incompetent'?

• Options
    edited September 2022
    It's extremely easy to predict and playtest. A team of 10 - 200 and no one can figure out how to exploit it before players do?
    It's about exploiting the system and most game systems are basically simple.
  • Options
    It's extremely easy to predict and playtest. A team of 10 - 200 and no one can figure out how to exploit it before players do?

Ok thanks, I hope it's okay if I take that as an emphatic 'yes'.

• Options
    Yes. And they can ask people before releasing, such as playtesters and people good at exploiting game systems how they would exploit it.

So it's basically incompetent. They can't help themself and don't find those that can easily help them.
  • Options
    Iskiab wrote: »
    I watched an alpha stream and something caught my attention. It looked like mobs aren't tagged by a player, and instead xp is distributed amongst everyone who contributed to killing the mob based on how much damage they did to the mob.

Is this the system throughout the entire game? What about xp for contributing by tanking, healing or buffing others by being a bard?

Not sure if you are still questioning the system as two others clarified but I like how the games mechanics work for dividing exp as it seems pretty fair and encourages player communication,

the way exp has been explained is imagine two separate parties attack a mob your party, P1 deals 45% the other P2 deals 55%, the total xp is divided between both parties based on that percentage, eg if mob grants 100exp P1 gets 45xp p2 gets 55xp then that 45/55 gets evenly split between the members of the party, if you were solo you get the full 45, if p1 has 3 members each get 15 etc. So if you are tanking a few mobs and a dps comes along and starts attacking them, you should probably toss them a party inv, assuming they aren't nearly dead. If you're going to do under 50% damage you have nothing to lose, and the dps will likely want to join you as well since with your assistance they increase the quantity of mobs they can farm at any given time.

If your soloing mobs and choose not to party and keep getting out damaged on all your targets you can chose to move along or accept the lower amount of quick xp and do a numbers game

if in 5 minutes you could kill 5 mobs for 100each and now you can kill ~12 for 45 each you're still making a profit but you'll need to make that determination in the moment.
    2edh26ackfsa.png
    The Wolves of Verra
    are recruiting: https://discord.gg/Rt8G3sNYac
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    • XP on Use; not hitting anything: 1/4 On Use XP. No 'kill' XP.
    • XP on Use; hitting PvE: 1x on Use XP. ++Kill XP = Small amount, 20% or so of Personal Total On Use, Killing Blow.
    • XP on Use; hitting PvP: 1.12x on Use XP. ++Kill XP = Smaller amount, 5% or so of Personal Total On Use, Killing Blow.
    • XP on Use; TRAINING moves or spell: 1/2 On Use XP, but 1.5x faster to perform and accrues Exhaustion which reduces Battle Effectiveness, requires rest at some point. ALSO part of Unlocking higher Spells and Moves.
    • XP on Use; Hitting Environment/ Objects: 1/3 On Use XP.
    • XP on Use; Athletics (running and jumping): 1/2x On Use XP and one of the few ways to directly improve Agility (and Stamina?). Accrues Exhaustion which reduces Battle Effectiveness, requires rest at some point.

EDIT: Changed values somewhat. Expanded on the 'Exhaustion' bit.

Intermittent soft-locking according to my posts elsewhere; linked in my Exhaustion thread.

That's my approach; Intrepid will do whatever they wind up doing.
  • Options
    Iskiab wrote: »

Not sure if you are still questioning the system as two others clarified but I like how the games mechanics work for dividing exp as it seems pretty fair and encourages player communication,

the way exp has been explained is imagine two separate parties attack a mob your party, P1 deals 45% the other P2 deals 55%, the total xp is divided between both parties based on that percentage, eg if mob grants 100exp P1 gets 45xp p2 gets 55xp then that 45/55 gets evenly split between the members of the party, if you were solo you get the full 45, if p1 has 3 members each get 15 etc. So if you are tanking a few mobs and a dps comes along and starts attacking them, you should probably toss them a party inv, assuming they aren't nearly dead. If you're going to do under 50% damage you have nothing to lose, and the dps will likely want to join you as well since with your assistance they increase the quantity of mobs they can farm at any given time.

If your soloing mobs and choose not to party and keep getting out damaged on all your targets you can chose to move along or accept the lower amount of quick xp and do a numbers game

if in 5 minutes you could kill 5 mobs for 100each and now you can kill ~12 for 45 each you're still making a profit but you'll need to make that determination in the moment.

Yea, that's what I meant, just a general question about how it works. In the stream I saw I thought they were grouped and xp was split by damage, but I can't be sure.