Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Thoughts on weekly and daily content

Personally I would much prefer AOC not have any weekly or daily quests in the game. Instead I would prefer the game just have overall good / enjoyable content that I would like to redo again and again on my own instead of being told to go do it. I would rather the devs spend their time making the world enjoyable instead of trying to funnel players together for 30 mins at a time per a day or a week. Just my thoughts. What are yours?

Comments

• Options
    In all the MMOs I played, I never did dailies or weeklies. They feel like a chore to me and I'm not playing a game to do chores.

However, if AoC has such content, I just hope I'm not pressured to do them.
  • Options
    In all the MMOs I played, I never did dailies or weeklies. They feel like a chore to me and I'm not playing a game to do chores.

This
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't mind them if they aren't for me.

If there's a weekly quest for my 'node', for my 'relationship with an NPC' (that has basically minimal benefits or benefits that only help me when I'm in that area or doing something related to them), or something that is related to 'something that should take time', so more like time-gated than 'Weekly' or 'Daily' in the other sense.

Other than that I hate them, particularly when they are one of those 'everyone gets it and you have to figure out how best to use it in order to keep up' because that's explicitly a chore.

Basically if I choose to START a chain quest/action that I like, and it TRIGGERS a Daily or Weekly for a bit, this is fine, I usually think it's better than being able to repeat the thing 4-7 times immediately in a loop to 'get it out of the way'.

So for example I don't think that Ashes NEEDS to avoid doing this for 'Social Org Quests' or similar, for me personally, even though I hate it for most things.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There was a dev thread about dailies and weeklies and I think the community voted against. Was a long time ago.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    The problem with daily/weekly tasks is that it usually feels like an obligation or a chore and if you miss one day, you usually miss out on some bigger reward down the road.

If these daily/weekly tasks are not very impactful, if they're more of an added content that players can do but definitely don't need to, then I'm fine with it. I absolutely hate games which you need to do something every day to get a reward on the 30th day: it's not fun and it's usually just a predatory psychological technique to try and keep you playing.

Example of dailies/weeklies that are fine by me:
    • Every 24 hours, NPC "Frodo, the Walker" in your Node has a new quest to bring him some mats for some gold, exp, etc.
    • Every week, NPC "Harry, the Wizard" shows up on the Node Tavern and has a quest to deliver a dungeon boss' horns for some gold, exp, etc.

Example of dailies/weeklies that are awful:
    • Every 24 hours every player needs to complete an activity to get piece 1 out of 10 of a key that opens a box in a dungeon.
    • Every day/week/month you need to kill X mobs to collect a reward from an NPC.
    • You need to login/do a quest/do anything everyday, so that on the last day of the month you'll get a reward, which means you cannot miss a single day or else you'll miss on the last and usually best reward. And it's even worse when that reward is a time limited one time thing which you can't get elsewhere. Holy shit, those are the worst.

If done right, daily/weekly/monthly tasks are fine, but not necessary at all.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    I like dailies and weeklies :)
  • Options
    I hateee Daily's. They are the bane of my MMO existence. Daily/weekly quests are the lowest effort soul sucking wastes of a players game time. Its just such lazy game developing.
  • Options
    Dailies/Weeklies for Node Progression/Guild Exp/Guild Skills etc.? Sure.

Dailies/Weeklies for Gear/Character progression? Hell no.
  • Options
    How about hourly, daily, or weekly PvE Pressure because the enemy has good enough AI it is like a Player/ Player Faction in the world?
    Not really a daily since the pressure builds up then goes away if you kill a bunch of them. Might go to a different Node's territory or hide in a Fortress/ Cave instead.

Living world type stuff.
  • Options

I was under the impresion that AoC was not going to have daily`s and such crap ?
  • Options
    Blip wrote: »
    I was under the impresion that AoC was not going to have daily`s and such crap ?
    These will most likely be the "dailes" of the game
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Tasks
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    I think weeklies and dailies, for me at least, are a thing of the past. I used to enjoy dailies, it was a source of gold, and it was content.

Something I still enjoy when I look back are dungeon dailies, these are things I will be doing regardless.

I prefer having side activities, if we take WoW as an example, I would love a "hearthstone" type mini-game where you gather cards from around the world. Like Triple Triads in FFXIV. It doesn't give you anything other then cosmetics, titles, and stuff like that.
    In fact I think more games should look at the design philosophy of FFXIV and adopt and improve upon it. The side content they add is fun, optional, and not really tied to your character progression. Yet I find myself drawn to the Gold Saucer often. I think one of the key differences and this cannot be underestimated or overstated. When I look at dailies, and how relatively little effort goes into making them it often feels like they are designed to try and keep my sub going, not for fun. Having witnessed a developer releasing content and go "Here, enjoy" has been an amazing breath of fresh air.Especially as all rewards and things are cosmetic only, you can try and min-max it, as many have done, or you can just take your time.

Weekly raid lockouts I get if the game's a gear treadmill
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    It's been done, and we killed it. Intrepid listened, and they went with it.

All hail Intrepid!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Weekly events specially triggered in weekend, are the castle node caravans and the castle siege, if that happens.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    For me : bad idea.
    As good side, it shows players thing to do to get money/components/xp/what else. and for casuals, this fills their gametime, they don't need to get knowledge of what the game allow to do, except if they got bored of dailies (but with enough variety in them, you do most of game content thru them)

Bad side :
    less communication (how do i get that ? ... you discovered it thru the dailies)
    The feeling you have to play each day, or enough time each week. in our human brain, dailies/weeklies are more a "to do list" than an helpfull way to farm.
    to easier design, they are bind to a daily reset (with other mechanic)... so "everyone" does it on the same timing. making the "rushhour" effect even worse

It is not needed but a design choice, the good side is meaningless, while the bad side are really bad for me.

nope
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't mind stuff that's weekly or longer but dailies are dumb.
  • Options
    From what little I've played of Lord of the Rings Online I appreciated the daily Tasks system they had in place. Daily turn-ins for junk items (broken daggers, worn animal skins, chipped fangs), things that didn't have a use besides vendor trash that would give a little bit of rep and gold. There was a daily cap on how many tasks you could complete.

For AoC, this could be tweaked toward turning in raw materials for experience points. This way, you can introduce an optional system for solo gatherers to level their craft without inflating the market with raw materials. You get a material sink to limit supply on the market, and the experience earned is fed back into the Node to advance it's development.

In a similar fashion, daily tasks to kill X number of enemies isn't inherently bad design, and with AoC's emphasis on emergent gameplay and the node system these tasks actually fit in rather than stand out as an appalling chore.

Nodes seeing adventurers patrolling the surrounding wilds and bringing back materials to further the construction and expansion of a town into a full-fledged city is thematically appropriate and in line with the exact methods of Node advancement. Guilds prioritizing "Node rushing" over material acquisition could become an important factor in planning and strategy as the world develops.