Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Bards vs summoner mechanics

JazeriousJazerious Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
I was think of a skill mechanic that can pit bard and summoners against each other. Sort of like light (bard) vs darkness (summoner) support play in the form of Curses and Blessing.

Curses can be a dormant debuff that you put on an enemy that only activates if the target meets the condition.
Ex: Curse of Ice: When placed of a target, If they stand still for more that 2 sec's, they become frozen for 3 sec's. Dormant debuff last on a target for 20 sec's.
Ex: Curse of power: When placed of a target, if they Crit a player 3 times in a row, they disable their auto attack for 5 sec's, but can still use abilities. Dormant debuff last on the target for 10 sec's.
Ex: Curse of wind: When placed on a target, if they are hit with a slow, they become crippled (can't use their active dodge) for 3 sec. Dormant debuff last 10 secs.

Blessing can be a dormant buff placed on an ally that can be activated by meeting the condition.
Ex: Blessing of patience: In combat when placed on an ally, if they don't deal or take dmg for 6 sec's their next 3 attack will deal 20% more dmg. Dormant buff last 20 secs
Ex: Blessing of sacrilege: When placed on an ally, if they are hit by any stun, they are instead shielded by 5% of their max health for 3 secs. Dormant buff last 8 secs

Curses and Blessings can not be purified by clerics. Curses can only be purified by bards and Blessings can only be purged by summoners. So that mean summoner and bards with have their own special kind of purity spells for one another. The key is to purge/purify the blessing/curse when they are dormant. Once they are active, it can be undone.

What are you guys thoughts on it?

Comments

• Options
    To me, bard and summoner are completely unrelated. As I see the pairings and any kind of combo/counter-abilities would be for these classes:

Tank and Fighter
    Rogue and Ranger
    Cleric and Bard
    Mage and Summoner

So if Summoner did have some kinds of buffs/debuffs, I'd expect the Mage to have the ability to deal with them or boost them somehow.
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2022
    As a Bard/Rogue, I'm not interested in being forced to play as a cleansing healer.

I doubt my Summoner is interested in being forced to always summon with a healing/cleansing focus either.

I'm all about the buffs, and even status resistances, but if I want to cleanse things I'll go Secondary Archetype: Cleric. Don't force me to act like "/Cleric" because my Cleric literally can't.
  • Options
    JazeriousJazerious Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    SongRune wrote: »
    As a Bard/Rogue, I'm not interested in being forced to play as a cleansing healer.

I doubt my Summoner is interested in being forced to always summon with a healing/cleansing focus either.

I'm all about the buffs, and even status resistances, but if I want to cleanse things I'll go Secondary Archetype: Cleric. Don't force me to act like "/Cleric" because my Cleric literally can't.
    I don't know where you got the healing part from. I just figured it would make bards and summoners more engaging to play rather than just providing buffs and debuffs. Or at least providing it in different ways. I played a bard in Archage and i loved it even though it was a braindead class to play Lol. Maybe the formation game will be engaging enough, idk.
  • Options

You can't say you're a Bard/Rogue and call any combat affecting Music Rhythm Gameplay "potato peeling" like you did in the Bard Suggestion thread LOL
    Fake
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

You can't say you're a Bard/Rogue and call any combat affecting Music Rhythm Gameplay "potato peeling" like you did in the Bard Suggestion thread LOL
    Fake

The in-joke here never gets old.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    LeiloniLeiloni Member
    edited September 2022
    NiKr wrote: »
    To me, bard and summoner are completely unrelated. As I see the pairings and any kind of combo/counter-abilities would be for these classes:

Tank and Fighter
    Rogue and Ranger
    Cleric and Bard
    Mage and Summoner

So if Summoner did have some kinds of buffs/debuffs, I'd expect the Mage to have the ability to deal with them or boost them somehow.

Typically healers have the ability to cleanse debuffs of various kinds but otherwise yes I agree Bard and Summoner seem unrelated. Bard is your typical buffer support, likely also providing debuffs, cc, off-heals, and of course damage. Summoner I think probably won't have any buffs or debuffs but instead focuses on offering versatility via summons that do tanking, healing, and dps and providing a little bit of whatever of those three roles the group needs most.
  • Options
    Jazerious wrote: »

I don't know where you got the healing part from. I just figured it would make bards and summoners more engaging to play rather than just providing buffs and debuffs. Or at least providing it in different ways. I played a bard in Archage and i loved it even though it was a braindead class to play Lol. Maybe the formation game will be engaging enough, idk.

The plans for Bard and Summoner already seem fairly active and interesting and the devs have been quoted as saying that's their goal at least for Bard and likely both. I think we should wait until we actually see the classes before assuming they'll be boring. I don't think they will be at all. I think both will need to be good at reading the fight and changing what they are doing throughout the fight as situations change. I think both will require a lot of thought, strategy, movement, and knowledge.
  • Options
    I can see it now. Bard is going to be MH Rise hunting horn max attack buff slamming guitars into the faces of monsters and basically bringing fear to all with music solos.