Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

open world pvp achievements

can we have open world pvp achievements that dont gain points form sieges or wars. such as killing 100 players - 500 - 1k - 2.5k and more but make it so they cant be cheesed by farming the same guy over and over. also maybe some where you kill bounty hunters while corrupted

Comments

• Options
    xMrWoolf wrote: »
    can we have open world pvp achievements that dont gain points form sieges or wars. such as killing 100 players - 500 - 1k - 2.5k and more but make it so they cant be cheesed by farming the same guy over and over. also maybe some where you kill bounty hunters while corrupted
    How exactly do you suggest avoiding that cheese though? Most of the pvp will happen against the same people (the ones participating in the owpvp). You could have some sort of delay on the counter, but then what about combat resurrections? Would the counter not tick when you wipe the enemy party several times in a row? And the delay wouldn't stop someone from just waiting it out while grinding the pvps with a friend.

In other words, I'm against this kind of feature cause I doubt there's a way to avoid the most obvious cheesing methods.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @NiKr, in your experience, if this was counted not in Open World but primarily for Guild Wars, would that work?

@xMrWoolf - any specific reason why Open World is preferred? That's usually, strictly speaking, the least competitive form of PvP. Achievements for like, Node Wars or Sieges might be more meaningful, right?
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    NiKr, in your experience, if this was counted not in Open World but primarily for Guild Wars, would that work?
    I meaaan, isn't Guild Wars related rewards already the rewards for killing people during said wars?

Though depending on how they set up the war dec system, it might still not work. Even if it's purely achievements and nothing else, there'll be people who really want those achievements (namely me). They'll make the smallest possible guild that can be decced with their and their friends' alts and just farm that shit in no time. Steven already said that you can kill war enemies however much you want, so yeah.

I could maaaybe see this kinda working with Node wars, purely because the cost of that kinda thing would be much greater, but then you could just pay someone on the other side to die to you a few hundred times. Or hell, you could just have a friend in that node and get the top achievement for each other.

I'm not saying this isn't a cool thing, and I myself have pvped very hardcore in L2 because it had top pvp leaderboards on the server's site, but quite often those places would have at least a few people who cheesed it. And while in L2's case those people would be dunked on and shunned, because they'd usually be shit in proper pvp, with an achievement system your rep wouldn't matter as much. It's not like someone a year from game's release would know for a fact whether you cheesed it or not. And imo that kind of interaction dilutes the value of the system, which is why I'm against it.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I would rather see achievements for PvP kills in guild wars, node wars, caravans, sieges and naval battles (all their own achievements).

Since I assume world bosses will function like caravans, having achievements there would be good as well.
  • Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    @NiKr, in your experience, if this was counted not in Open World but primarily for Guild Wars, would that work?

@xMrWoolf - any specific reason why Open World is preferred? That's usually, strictly speaking, the least competitive form of PvP. Achievements for like, Node Wars or Sieges might be more meaningful, right?

i would like 2 different catagories. one for wars/sieges/open world this way you can see everything instead of just one clumped up pvp kills catagory. feel like open world will probably be harder to get kills and even harder to get corruption kills considering your being hunted so id just like to see a few other achievements for the different paths/wars
  • Options
    @NiKr one way to avoide cheesing would be to cap how many open world kills a hour on one person i guess. it would suck to actually be fighting someone and all kills not count but most likely someone will just make a low lvl alt and kill it to gain the kills and if it attacks back no penalty applies just a free easy achievement
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    I would rather see achievements for PvP kills in guild wars, node wars, caravans, sieges and naval battles (all their own achievements).

Since I assume world bosses will function like caravans, having achievements there would be good as well.

exactly id like different kill catagories for each. even corruption. killing bounty hunters while corrupt/killing players while corrupt. this way you can shwo experience over all on all of it instead of everything just clumped up together
  • Options
    NiKr one way to avoide cheesing would be to cap how many open world kills a hour on one person i guess. it would suck to actually be fighting someone and all kills not count but most likely someone will just make a low lvl alt and kill it to gain the kills and if it attacks back no penalty applies just a free easy achievement
    Like I said, a delay will not stop the cheese. You'd only be crippling any good pvpers. I've had pvp sessions where I got dozens of pvp kills within minutes. At least 1/4 of those were on the same people, because the fight had a flow to it and they kept resurrecting.

If there was a timer on how many tick of the counter I could've gotten there - I'd be upset, because the counter wouldn't represent my true skill.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I`ve had guild vs guild pvp rounds with large groups vs large groups and certain players were killed several time over in a matter of min.

Open world, at bosses and castle seiges.. A record overall and a breakdown by category would be great!

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2022
    exactly id like different kill catagories for each. even corruption. killing bounty hunters while corrupt/killing players while corrupt. this way you can shwo experience over all on all of it instead of everything just clumped up together

To be honest, I'd be quite happy if all achievement and quest progress was halted if you are corrupt.

I definitely dont think there should be achievements that require corruption.
  • Options
    SapiverenusSapiverenus Member
    edited September 2022
    2 on same person per minute, 9 per hour, 18 per day, 40 per week, 70 per month, 140 per half year, and 200 per year.
    People move on from killing 1 person and makes kill trading less effective.
    Glory for Rampaging rather than Dueling/ Feuding.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    How exactly do you suggest avoiding that cheese though? Most of the pvp will happen against the same people (the ones participating in the owpvp). You could have some sort of delay on the counter, but then what about combat resurrections? Would the counter not tick when you wipe the enemy party several times in a row? And the delay wouldn't stop someone from just waiting it out while grinding the pvps with a friend.

In other words, I'm against this kind of feature cause I doubt there's a way to avoid the most obvious cheesing methods.

Make the achievement for "Unique" kills. Title the achieve as something like World/server slayer.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    L2, from memory kept a running count of your pk`s and pvp kills.
    However, you erased your pk count by quest to reset your pk level.
    This was in addition to xp`ing or dying a few times to erase your karma score from pk`s.
    If you were to undertake a pk with a clean pk count then your karma was a little.
    But if you were to pk with a clean karma but a high, non-cleared by quest pk count your karma would be very high and hard to clear immediately.

Totally believe that system was fair!
  • Options
    Make the achievement for "Unique" kills. Title the achieve as something like World/server slayer.
    Depending on how long it takes to delete an alt from your acc - it might take people from a few days to a year to go through a few hundred alts to get that kind of achievement. Even faster if you do this on a guild scale.