Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Legendary items

It's been said there may only be one of some legendary items, which is an awesome concept.

My concern is, how does the item return to circulation? Because it would feel horrible for it to just disappear after some time after working for it. But surely it would have to have some way to return to circulation if a player stopped playing, just decided to slap it in the bank forever or what have you.

My idea is maybe a legendary sword needs x amount of xp from certain creatures to sate it's bloodlust or something. Obviously a very basic thought, but I was curious on how anyone else or Intrepid would try to make it work.

Comments

• Options
    The easy answer is: you drop your gear or gear from your inventory upon dying if you're corrupted.

So if you can get the one guy with a legendary weapon to go corrupt and kill him, someone else can loot it.

My alternative idea/suggestion:

If a legendary weapon/piece of armor is unique or semi-unique and only available to a King (ruler of a castle in the world) as royal mounts (flying ones) can be, and a different guild takes the castle from them, have them be able to get that item from the deposed King.

That way it further incentivizes PvP and also adds to the lore of the item as being the symbol of the ruler of Castle X.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Also, if an account goes inactive, after some short period of time then the item can be recreated or redropped, as appropriate.
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited September 2022
    @Asgerr i'd like to see something like that. I wouldn't restrict it to castle guilds though.
    Make unique legendaries guild relics and everybody can challenge you for them through the guild war system.

I think that would make the system far more interesting than somebody getting it and owning it for the rest of time. Feels stupid to have such important and rare items be limited to such trivial mechanics surrounding them
  • Options
    I've heard about some legendary items in Lineage 2 that get dropped from a player when they die (100% drop chance and they never break). This created a lot of mayhem as anyone with these items were target #1. Also the items were supposedly really good, so fits the risk vs. reward thing Steven wants.
  • Options
    McShave wrote: »
    I've heard about some legendary items in Lineage 2 that get dropped from a player when they die (100% drop chance and they never break). This created a lot of mayhem as anyone with these items were target #1. Also the items were supposedly really good, so fits the risk vs. reward thing Steven wants.
    Unless that's something from the newer updates, the only "weapon" that would fit that description afaik is the Cursed weapons. They're 2 items that make you permacorrupted while you have them, they give you big stats that grow with your PK count and you drop them on death if someone manages to kill you.

But those aren't considered "legendary" and they aren't permanent like a normal item is.
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    Make unique legendaries guild relics and everybody can challenge you for them through the guild war system.
    I like this idea
    McShave wrote: »
    I've heard about some legendary items in Lineage 2 that get dropped from a player when they die (100% drop chance and they never break).
    This is also not bad
    kWbm5nG.gif
    Monkey Business (EU) is RECRUITING
  • Options
    Asgerr wrote: »
    If a legendary weapon/piece of armor is unique or semi-unique and only available to a King (ruler of a castle in the world) as royal mounts (flying ones) can be, and a different guild takes the castle from them, have them be able to get that item from the deposed King.

That way it further incentivizes PvP and also adds to the lore of the item as being the symbol of the ruler of Castle X.

I like this idea best. There's an added incentive to taking over a castle, the item can also be used as a status symbol. It has some semi-permanence so the owner can actually enjoy, and more importantly show it off, for a period of time.

Similarly, the Leader of the Castle could be the owner, but could bestow it upon a champion if they wish. If the item is a shield, and they are a mage, the item shouldn't be a waste and they should be able to give it to a tank.

I greatly prefer a solution that guarantees some length of ownership. Think of it like a championship belt in WWE. If the belt changed every day or hour, no one would care about it. It's that thing a small group of people are constantly killing each other over, who knows who has it now, whatever. But if it's something where the champion has it for at least a month, they get to go out into the world and show it off, and can be challenged once a month, but keep retaining it, that's when the item gains prestige, and it becomes much more engaging to see who can finally take it from them.

--

Another idea is that some items can be unique, but only cosmetically, or in name. The first person to get something gets a version that has the lore name, or some cool model. Later when others kill the same dragon, they get something that has the same stats, but it's not named, and not-as-cool model.