Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

action combat melee vrs ranged auto aim balance

consdiering ranger can attack while moving-jumping-running away with auto aim and homing projectiles how will you balance action combot melee classes to be able to compete? lets take a rogue as an example in stealth he is still visible and the ranger can just stay away and possibly hit him out of stealth id imagine? how will the rogue catch the kiting ranger or out play them if they dont even need to worry about aiming? does shooting slow down their movement speed? if the rogue has a gap closing ability id imagine the ranger has abilties to escape? so they cancel each other out.

Comments

• Options
    EuthenasiaEuthenasia Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Bring a mage with you?
  • Options
    RamirezRamirez Member
    edited September 2022
    I really dont know what they plan but this combat looks just one side everyone will pick Ranged classes, since skills always land on target, that is just ridiculous, i would be ok with basic attack target, but the majority of abilities need to be skill shoot...
  • Options
    Euthenasia wrote: »
    Bring a mage with you?

so for a siege 250 v 250 range only then?
  • Options
    Without knowing the full skillset of the primary archtypes and augments provided by the secundary archtypes it is simple impossible to talk about class balance, we simple lack too much information for that.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    Hopefully they'll just balance it well.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Options
    xMrWoolf wrote: »
    consdiering ranger can attack while moving-jumping-running away with auto aim and homing projectiles how will you balance action combot melee classes to be able to compete? lets take a rogue as an example in stealth he is still visible and the ranger can just stay away and possibly hit him out of stealth id imagine? how will the rogue catch the kiting ranger or out play them if they dont even need to worry about aiming? does shooting slow down their movement speed? if the rogue has a gap closing ability id imagine the ranger has abilties to escape? so they cancel each other out.

Rogues tend to be fast in combat (running speed and higher DPS) so i wouldn't worry too much about someone trying to kite me while playing a Rogue.
    I might be wrong tho... Someone please correct me if i am wrong xD
    x2i66qpsxhoo.png
    Drinking refreshing snowflakes tears
  • Options
    just take into account there not balancing for 1v1 combat does get harder to kite when there more than one enemies around since it harder to keep track of muiltipul targets.

We know there pulls,stuns and charges so there a decent amount of skills to lock people from kiting but we will have to see how thing play out.
    Im glad we didnt see any hard CC on the ranger so far tbh i dont think ranged dps classes shouldnt get access to hard CC. hard CC should be for melee combat to help against kiters and support classes with lower dps like a offensive control mage/support.
  • Options
    IskiabIskiab Member
    edited October 2022
    In large scale PvP ranged already have an advantage. I can't see them giving too much of a dps gain for melee or it'd break PvE.

Usually what happens is melee are given a lot of gap closers or better burst to try and make them competitive.

We'll have to wait to see what they have in mind. From what I've gathered of their rock-paper-scissors philosophy; I expect rangers to be good against mages because mages are aoe and squishy, melee to have the burst and gap closers to take out rangers, and mages to have AoE to take out melee? Something along those lines.

It's too early to be able to tell how it'll play out. If mages are very mobile with teleports and whatnot to counter melee gap closers, and Rangers don't have similar tools, it could work, because mages could escape melee with their teleports but it won't be helpful against a ranger.
  • Options
    Ramirez wrote: »
    I really dont know what they plan but this combat looks just one side everyone will pick Ranged classes, since skills always land on target, that is just ridiculous, i would be ok with basic attack target, but the majority of abilities need to be skill shoot...
    from what I’ve seen from
    Melee it looks like trash especially a warrior. I play the warrior class/melee in every mmo I play.
    Iskiab wrote: »
    In large scale PvP ranged already have an advantage. I can't see them giving too much of a dps gain for melee or it'd break PvE.

Usually what happens is melee are given a lot of gap closers or better burst to try and make them competitive.

We'll have to wait to see what they have in mind. From what I've gathered of their rock-paper-scissors philosophy; I expect rangers to be good against mages because mages are aoe and squishy, melee to have the burst and gap closers to take out rangers, and mages to have AoE to take out melee? Something along those lines.

It's too early to be able to tell how it'll play out. If mages are very mobile with teleports and whatnot to counter melee gap closers, and Rangers don't have similar tools, it could work, because mages could escape melee with their teleports but it won't be helpful against a ranger.

Personally I think melee should receive some PVP buffs against ranged classes like 1.5x damage.
  • Options
    Meurum24 wrote: »
    from what I’ve seen from Melee it looks like trash especially a warrior. I play the warrior class/melee in every mmo I play.

First off, it's Fighter, not Warrior. But I'm sure that's just an honest mistake.... right?

Second, you'll have to expand on that, cause it doesn't seem like anyone else agrees in your fervent distaste of it.

From the melee showcase we got, which was showcasing 2 skills from a Fighter/Fighter class, which aspects didn't look good to you?

Before you answer do keep in mind that that was more of a way to ask for feedback than it was: "this is a lock for what the Fighter archetype is as a whole"
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Alot of new people arriving saying this and that about combat despite Steven saying in literarly EVERY video its not a finished product.
    We havent seen anything other than 2 skills, action combat skills at that.
    The combat from alpha 1 is not the final product.
    Affiliate Code:
    0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f
  • Options
    They should focus primarily on making each class and their associated abilities as smooth, refined, characterful and polished as possible. Most of the balancing should be done through testing which is what Alpha two is for. Just make the classes and abilities fun, dynamic and interesting to use. Don't allow for paralysis by analysis to creep in with too many attempts to internally balance things. Make each class as good as you can and then let people play with them and boost, nerf where needed.
  • Options
    I has pizza!

And im not sharing :naughty:
    x2i66qpsxhoo.png
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Deadfool wrote: »
    I has pizza!

As long as it isn't pineapple. itwr397m7um0.gif
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    DeadfoolDeadfool Member
    edited October 2022
    Natasha wrote: »
    I has pizza!

Pineapple does not belong on pizza! :cry:
    x2i66qpsxhoo.png
  • Options
    I has pizza!

As an Italian, I can confirm that if you put pineapple on pizza you will be hunted, drawn and quartered worse than if you were a filthy Tulnar.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    IskiabIskiab Member
    edited October 2022
    Meurum24 wrote: »
    Ramirez wrote: »
    from what I’ve seen from
    Melee it looks like trash especially a warrior. I play the warrior class/melee in every mmo I play.
    Iskiab wrote: »

Personally I think melee should receive some PVP buffs against ranged classes like 1.5x damage.

A melee 1.5x buff would be a bit much imo, clerics will get wrecked too easily. There's lots of things they could do, off the top of my head bard buffs for reduced projectile damage or magic damage would be a good idea.

That way a melee and ranged can still duel 1v1 and it'd be competitive, but in larger groups 6 Rangers can't delete a target every couple seconds if they assist each other. The issue in larger groups is ranged assisting each other, so support being a counter makes sense.
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ah, the true BDO solution. "We couldn't be bothered to balance our classes, so we'll just add a damage multiplier to individual PvP matchups."
  • Options
    Asgerr wrote: »
    I has pizza!

As an Italian, I can confirm that if you put pineapple on pizza you will be hunted, drawn and quartered worse than if you were a filthy Tulnar.

I feel like this is the first time I disagree with you.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Options
    I'm excited to see what rogue can do, at the moment i might have to go archer I'm not going to lie. Tab lock and kite seems too easy and strong, and i can skill shot all my moves easily with my own skill lol.
  • Options
    Asgerr wrote: »
    I has pizza!

LMAO
    putting pineapple on a pizza is like debuffing yourself, dropping your gear and deleting your character
    x2i66qpsxhoo.png
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The worst situation would be a mage with a bow. Seen it before and it devastates foes.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif