Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Suggestion] A combined traditional and action mode.

HartwellHartwell Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
The game Guild Wars 2 has two modes. Action camera mode and then the traditional MMORPG mode. In order to play in one mode, you must be willing to sacrifice something that the other provides, unless you constantly press the toggle key. Luckily for me, I got a Logitech mouse with LUA script support, so I got to fool around with a concept of merging them together.

Inside of traditional MMORPG controls, holding down right click on the mouse button allows for the player to pan their view and nothing more. However, what if this camera pan function was turned into an action camera? In an action camera, left clicking is turned into a basic attack and right clicking is turned into a target button. Having another keybinding for a basic attack is redundant, so it is possible to change action camera mode controls into a traditional MMORPG form. This means that the two modes might work well merged together!

yeqs60vmyjhy.gif

The result should be like the .gif above. A fast method of swapping between the two modes! While my script in GW2 has issues, due to the script not being able to interact with the User Interface, the fast swapping felt pretty good. Perhaps this would be worth experimenting with as an optional control scheme?

Comments

• Unless I'm missing something here, you have literally described the system they showcased in yesterday's stream.
  • HartwellHartwell Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    NiKr wrote: »
    Unless I'm missing something here, you have literally described the system they showcased in yesterday's stream.

In most MMORPGs with this feature I have experienced, action cam is a toggle key not bound to the mouse by default. This creates a problem. Users are not generally allowed to rebind their mouse click functionality in games. Allowing the user to rebind clicking themselves can get hairy.

I'm suggesting a very specific keybinding setup to experiment with. The traditional camera pan control may actually work well as an action cam mode toggle switch! It just needs the controls of the action cam to be altered alongside it. However, this isn't something a general user knows how set up, as it requires some scripting and unbinding of mouse keys, unless the developers set it up properly.
  • Hartwell wrote: »
    Allowing the user to rebind clicking themselves can get hairy.
    And again, literally in that same stream Steven said, when talking about the action camera, "you can change this keybind" (when he was talking about rmb being the "choose target" button).
    edited October 2022
    Hartwell wrote: »
    Allowing the user to rebind clicking themselves can get hairy.
    And again, literally in that same stream Steven said, when talking about the action camera, "you can change this keybind" (when he was talking about rmb being the "choose target" button).

Do you have the timestamp? That quote sounds like he was talking about a single keybinding. This suggestion would require both the primary mouse buttons to be rebound. This is actually pretty rare to see inside of MMORPGs, as usually rebinding a click is off limits. Here is another example of the setup:

0j8gz9xe6r7o.gif
  • Hartwell wrote: »
    Do you have the timestamp?
    You can already attack with Q so I see no reason for why you couldn't just rebind your mouse.
    https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxNttNHDjICkoBeqgWr_VWfmvOAWWXg_LT
    edited October 2022
    Hartwell wrote: »
    Do you have the timestamp?
    You can already attack with Q so I see no reason for why you couldn't just rebind your mouse.
    https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxNttNHDjICkoBeqgWr_VWfmvOAWWXg_LT

Thanks for the timestamp! When I was in Alpha 1, what they did with the setup was if you were in Action mode you would have your left mouse automatically switch to your most basic attack. I think it would also disable your "Q" for whatever reason? It seemed to be hardcoded to a specific set of controls in both the archer demonstration and the past Alpha. This will more than likely change, but I feel the need to express what I feel I should be allowed to do. It may help the developers understand why one might want to customize the mouse clicks within the Action mode.

What we are both hoping for here is for them to offer heavy customization. Customizable mouse controls are sometimes restricted to tickboxes or dropdown menu options, rather than adjustable keybinds, which is understandable given how many functions a primary mouse click can fulfill. It would be absolutely wonderful if we could rebind one of the many functions of a mouse click!