Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

A comment on arrow sound effects

DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
edited October 2022 in General Discussion
The sound effects and audio feedback was fantastic in todays Ranger stream. The audio did a great job "describing" (if that makes sence) what Steven was doing and it was able to broadcast the results of his actions. You could for the most part close your eyes and have some idea of what was happening. You heard the bow knock and release, you heard the arrow leave and travel to its target, you could hear it make contact (you could also hear Steven's screams as he carelessly pulled the entire forest). You could also clearly hear the build up of the charged attacks. I want to spend as little time as possible staring at my character or action bar while in combat.

I would, however, make a few adjustments to the sound effects.
1) Arrow travel sound. The sound itself is perfect but I would lower the pitch. That sort of high pitch whistle builds up, in a way, over time. I can see it becoming cumbersome during longer fights or play sessions. Keep it the same but make it much lower pitched and make the impact more of a thud.
2) I could tell that something hit, but it felt subtle from the video. I would like the impact sound to be more distinct and to change base on what type of hit. A sound for a "normal" hit, a slightly different one for a crit, and a distinct sound for elemental style damage that identifies the element.

In short, if I can close my eyes and be able to tell you:
1) What weapon is being used
2) Whether or not the target was hit
3) What type of damage is being delivered
4) Be able to listen to it fight after fight, day after day
Then the combat is this game will surpass all other mmos.

Comments

• Options
    There’s also an aural sweet-spot to the ‘tchunk’ when a broadhead first drives into the skull of an elf. It’s just acoustically satisfying.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    CROW3 wrote: »
    There’s also an aural sweet-spot to the ‘tchunk’ when a broadhead first drives into the skull of an elf. It’s just acoustically satisfying.

Aww, do you need a toss. You just have to ask